Jimmy the troublemaker 2 *update 2014-07-03*

Started by Mouth for war, Sun 12/12/2010 19:38:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Mouth for war

Ok It sure took some noodlescratching but I just felt like this sequel had no major improvments when it comes to graphics and even though graphics aren't the most important thing I felt that if Jimmy the troublemaker is gonna return, everything should be better (I know some puzzles etc in the first sucked pretty bad) I've learned a lot more about making graphics since that first abomination and even though JTT2 was almost finished I just scrapped everything to present you with

THIS...

this is how Jimmy the troublemaker 2 - A little older, a little...wiser? will look :) It will take a little more time before you can play it of course but I think it will be worth it. The game itself has a little changed story. Instead of going back to the place you were in the first game it will now take place in a brand new world called Agimore (working world name for now, might change that) Jimmy is being taught a lesson for always being a douche...He is sent to that world where other evil things are happening to once again become an anti-hero. Just like in the first game you spend very little time in your own world before being sent to that new place...although there are more screens this time then just grampas old attic ;) I've saved some ideas from the old version of the sequel...like the karmasystem ...but I renamed it badass points...those will be gained when you do bad stuff...for example, sneaking in to your little sisters room and read her diary etc.

Hope you will like this new style :)

Edit by Darth - I moved the update to this thread (the first post needs to contain the game info)
mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

arj0n

Cool to see that Jimmy's back.
Good luck on finalizing this sequel Olle!

david

Sooo congratulations Mouth on your next adventure of JTT :)

Played it a bit and I must say that it is very good...
the intro apology is accepted :)

some things to correct and/or fix:
when you try to entered the dark room (parents) he says something like:
It is too see. I should turn the light on first. I think you missed "dark"
the actions are quite confusing especially the interact verb, I did not know where the hotspot is, could be a bit smaller and maybe clearer to the player that that verb is "USE/interact" or whatever
The chest of drawers sitting under the mirror:
it is not clear which drawer is open and which one is not

keep up the good work nonetheless  :D

theo

I realize you are not asking for critique on your art but I'm going to be so blunt that I'll just share my instant thoughts immediately.

Outdoor scene:

* You have started placing nice highlights where the moon sharply reflects its light on things, why not push this further? Give the tree some moon highlights, throw some moonlight on the grass! I dare you!

* The green trees in the distance look off in their coloring. No other green is green in this scene, why are these?

* Those windows are oozing warm light, throw some of that on the grass. Don't be shy. It will give you that nice warm vs cool lighting in the scene that I'm always ranting about.

I like the indoor scene. Apart from having stars way below the horizon you've done a good job.

Mouth for war

Thanks for the replies. Glad you like the demo David...That was my goal :D I'm not really sure what you mean about the confusing interact verb? is the icon for the interact button confusing or the verb itself? I think I'll make it a little smaller though like you suggested.

Theo you're right about the lighting from the moon. I'll fix that and I'm going to look over the stars as well hehe.

Mouth for war

Made another screenshot I thought I would share with you :)

arj0n

Nice shot. You've got something with mushrooms isn't?

Peder 🚀

Mushrooms are the best!
I would love to see some proper edible mushrooms though!

This is looking nice!
Will have to finish the first one someday :P

CosmoQueen

Oh my gosh this is so awesome! I've been going crazy waiting for this!!! *jumps up and down* :D
KPop and AGS....................that is my life.

Ian Moone

I'm still playing the first one, being that I'm new to the AGS scene and all. Personally, the smart-assnes was your attempt at creating a unique playing atmosphere...yes it grates on the player's nerves sometimes but I get the gist of what you were trying to do. I'd suggest you still try and do that while not being so condoscending or offensive to your player. Leisure Suit Larry is an example of walking that line. Personally, I think the AGS guys were a tad harsh on the game.

Yeah, you definitely have something with shrooms. Maybe eating them will provide an alternate reality for Jimmy that provides additional puzzles he has to solve...hmmm...

For a first game I thought it was VERY GOOD. Graphics are crisp...my major issue was the mobility of the character was difficult at times....and there was sometimes NO CLUE that you had to do something (the gnome puzzle, although very cool, was obscure.)

Looking forward to playing and providing feedback here!

Ian Moone

Is the Interact With icon a hand and a naked boob? LOL...

Mouth for war

Quote from: Ian Moone on Sat 01/01/2011 23:14:00
Is the Interact With icon a hand and a naked boob? LOL...

It sure is! Can't think of a better way to interact hehe.  I'm glad you can see past through the "smart-assness" stuff. I don't mean that the guy/girl who plays the game IS stupid or anything. I just wanted Jimmy to have some attitude that's all. Some people are more sensitive to stuff like that than others. I know also that many people hasn't been affected by it at all and just laughs it off. But I can understand that it comes to a point when it's not fun anymore that's why I will go easy on stuff like that in JTT2.

Glad you like it. It's for people like YOU I make the game :D And I agree that some puzzles could have used some additional work. I always came up with something and thought "Yeah that'll be fun" without thinking sometimes that it wouldn't make sense to people playing the game. I hope I can make JTT2 a much better experience. For me it feels a lot better already!

Oh....and I bet you're dying to know what use I'll find for the shrooms this time ;)

arj0n

While I was playing the demo and I saw the mirror in jimmie's room while grabbing the picture of jimmie's dad,
next thing I did was *use picture on mirror*.
I expected the mirror to crack/break due to the picture of his ugly dad...  ;)

Mouth for war

First I'd like to share a new screenshot. I can't believe you've ever seen a better animation of a creek!!! ;)

Progress is coming along nicely. I've added a karma system which I had in mind for another game, but I ended up using it for JTT2 instead. If you upset people by doing bad stuff you'll gain bad karma, and gain good karma if you do good things(obviously) This would include stealing,lying,run errands etc.

Having money is also something new I've added, not all things are for free! AND...you won't be backtracking this time so much because you will also be able to use a teleport stone to allow you to go back to places you've already visisted ( not for each and every screen though) Hope this sounds at least a little interesting :D

Cheers!

arj0n

Mouth for war

Haha well, there will probably be a lot of them because they look nice in the backgrounds :D I hope I'll find a use for them this time too ;)

Construed

I like the isometrics, close to my favorite style.
I felt sorry for myself because I had no shoes.
Then I met the man with no feet.

EKM

Hahaha. Part of the reason why I liked the first one was because of those "mean-spirited" remarks. I thought there was something special, because it wasn't afraid to offend its players.

I like the graphics...very clear, just like the first one. I like the money system idea. I'll probably wait for the full release though. Demos are too tantalizing.

Mouth for war

hehe yeah most people didn't seem to have a problem with those mean-spirited remarks...I don't think I can give up on them totally...there might be one or two ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk