Jimmy the troublemaker 2 *update 2014-07-03*

Started by Mouth for war, Sun 12/12/2010 19:38:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Mouth for war

Ok It sure took some noodlescratching but I just felt like this sequel had no major improvments when it comes to graphics and even though graphics aren't the most important thing I felt that if Jimmy the troublemaker is gonna return, everything should be better (I know some puzzles etc in the first sucked pretty bad) I've learned a lot more about making graphics since that first abomination and even though JTT2 was almost finished I just scrapped everything to present you with

THIS...

this is how Jimmy the troublemaker 2 - A little older, a little...wiser? will look :) It will take a little more time before you can play it of course but I think it will be worth it. The game itself has a little changed story. Instead of going back to the place you were in the first game it will now take place in a brand new world called Agimore (working world name for now, might change that) Jimmy is being taught a lesson for always being a douche...He is sent to that world where other evil things are happening to once again become an anti-hero. Just like in the first game you spend very little time in your own world before being sent to that new place...although there are more screens this time then just grampas old attic ;) I've saved some ideas from the old version of the sequel...like the karmasystem ...but I renamed it badass points...those will be gained when you do bad stuff...for example, sneaking in to your little sisters room and read her diary etc.

Hope you will like this new style :)

Edit by Darth - I moved the update to this thread (the first post needs to contain the game info)
mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

arj0n

Cool to see that Jimmy's back.
Good luck on finalizing this sequel Olle!

david

Sooo congratulations Mouth on your next adventure of JTT :)

Played it a bit and I must say that it is very good...
the intro apology is accepted :)

some things to correct and/or fix:
when you try to entered the dark room (parents) he says something like:
It is too see. I should turn the light on first. I think you missed "dark"
the actions are quite confusing especially the interact verb, I did not know where the hotspot is, could be a bit smaller and maybe clearer to the player that that verb is "USE/interact" or whatever
The chest of drawers sitting under the mirror:
it is not clear which drawer is open and which one is not

keep up the good work nonetheless  :D

theo

I realize you are not asking for critique on your art but I'm going to be so blunt that I'll just share my instant thoughts immediately.

Outdoor scene:

* You have started placing nice highlights where the moon sharply reflects its light on things, why not push this further? Give the tree some moon highlights, throw some moonlight on the grass! I dare you!

* The green trees in the distance look off in their coloring. No other green is green in this scene, why are these?

* Those windows are oozing warm light, throw some of that on the grass. Don't be shy. It will give you that nice warm vs cool lighting in the scene that I'm always ranting about.

I like the indoor scene. Apart from having stars way below the horizon you've done a good job.

Mouth for war

Thanks for the replies. Glad you like the demo David...That was my goal :D I'm not really sure what you mean about the confusing interact verb? is the icon for the interact button confusing or the verb itself? I think I'll make it a little smaller though like you suggested.

Theo you're right about the lighting from the moon. I'll fix that and I'm going to look over the stars as well hehe.

Mouth for war

Made another screenshot I thought I would share with you :)

arj0n

Nice shot. You've got something with mushrooms isn't?

Peder 🚀

Mushrooms are the best!
I would love to see some proper edible mushrooms though!

This is looking nice!
Will have to finish the first one someday :P

CosmoQueen

Oh my gosh this is so awesome! I've been going crazy waiting for this!!! *jumps up and down* :D
KPop and AGS....................that is my life.

Ian Moone

I'm still playing the first one, being that I'm new to the AGS scene and all. Personally, the smart-assnes was your attempt at creating a unique playing atmosphere...yes it grates on the player's nerves sometimes but I get the gist of what you were trying to do. I'd suggest you still try and do that while not being so condoscending or offensive to your player. Leisure Suit Larry is an example of walking that line. Personally, I think the AGS guys were a tad harsh on the game.

Yeah, you definitely have something with shrooms. Maybe eating them will provide an alternate reality for Jimmy that provides additional puzzles he has to solve...hmmm...

For a first game I thought it was VERY GOOD. Graphics are crisp...my major issue was the mobility of the character was difficult at times....and there was sometimes NO CLUE that you had to do something (the gnome puzzle, although very cool, was obscure.)

Looking forward to playing and providing feedback here!

Ian Moone

Is the Interact With icon a hand and a naked boob? LOL...

Mouth for war

Quote from: Ian Moone on Sat 01/01/2011 23:14:00
Is the Interact With icon a hand and a naked boob? LOL...

It sure is! Can't think of a better way to interact hehe.  I'm glad you can see past through the "smart-assness" stuff. I don't mean that the guy/girl who plays the game IS stupid or anything. I just wanted Jimmy to have some attitude that's all. Some people are more sensitive to stuff like that than others. I know also that many people hasn't been affected by it at all and just laughs it off. But I can understand that it comes to a point when it's not fun anymore that's why I will go easy on stuff like that in JTT2.

Glad you like it. It's for people like YOU I make the game :D And I agree that some puzzles could have used some additional work. I always came up with something and thought "Yeah that'll be fun" without thinking sometimes that it wouldn't make sense to people playing the game. I hope I can make JTT2 a much better experience. For me it feels a lot better already!

Oh....and I bet you're dying to know what use I'll find for the shrooms this time ;)

arj0n

While I was playing the demo and I saw the mirror in jimmie's room while grabbing the picture of jimmie's dad,
next thing I did was *use picture on mirror*.
I expected the mirror to crack/break due to the picture of his ugly dad...  ;)

Mouth for war

First I'd like to share a new screenshot. I can't believe you've ever seen a better animation of a creek!!! ;)

Progress is coming along nicely. I've added a karma system which I had in mind for another game, but I ended up using it for JTT2 instead. If you upset people by doing bad stuff you'll gain bad karma, and gain good karma if you do good things(obviously) This would include stealing,lying,run errands etc.

Having money is also something new I've added, not all things are for free! AND...you won't be backtracking this time so much because you will also be able to use a teleport stone to allow you to go back to places you've already visisted ( not for each and every screen though) Hope this sounds at least a little interesting :D

Cheers!

arj0n

Mouth for war

Haha well, there will probably be a lot of them because they look nice in the backgrounds :D I hope I'll find a use for them this time too ;)

Construed

I like the isometrics, close to my favorite style.
I felt sorry for myself because I had no shoes.
Then I met the man with no feet.

EKM

Hahaha. Part of the reason why I liked the first one was because of those "mean-spirited" remarks. I thought there was something special, because it wasn't afraid to offend its players.

I like the graphics...very clear, just like the first one. I like the money system idea. I'll probably wait for the full release though. Demos are too tantalizing.

Mouth for war

hehe yeah most people didn't seem to have a problem with those mean-spirited remarks...I don't think I can give up on them totally...there might be one or two ;)

Mouth for war

Or even better. I've decided to let the player choose how Jimmy shall behave. Early in the game you'll be asked how you want him to behave and you can choose "Be a jerk" or "Don't be a jerk" Hopefully that's a solution for everybody! :D

arj0n

Mouth for war

I have absolutely no doubts about that Arj0n BUT...beware...the choice you make will affect the game as well ;)

Mouth for war

Hey! Hope everyone's allright today :D

Here's some new info and screenshots

I know that some of you didn't like it when Jimmy called you stupid, idiot, or whatever when you were trying stuff. That's why I'm doing something so everyone can be satisfied. When you arrive in Xandia, a textbox will appear and ask you if you want Jimmy to "Be a jerk" or "dont be a jerk" that way I hope everyone'll happy

The game will also become a little different based on your choice. some puzzles will have different solutions etc. I'll add lots of stuff and make sure there's more than one solution to most puzzles. But remeber that your karma will drop or raise depending on how you solve some puzzles ;)

to conclude "Be a jerk" will have Jimmy saying many negative things about the player if you try stuff Jimmy doesn't like and "Dont' be a jerk" will make Jimmy more understanding and friendly to the player
OH I've also added a teleportation system. You won't have to walk everywhere anymore. New places you visit will be added to the stone. Not EVERY single background though of course. That would be TOO lazy ;)

OH well, over to the new screenshots

Ok...I apologize for this joke...I was tired and hadn't slept much. I hope you can forgive me ;)

A nice little scenery I must say

arj0n

Mouth for war

Thanks :D I just need to keep a little focus now...it can't all be about running around doing stuff for bad or good karma...there must be something more solid to keep the game going forward too.
Oh well I'm doing the first part now carefully. And I'll think things through more careful this time before I decide to go with it. I wouldn't mind to have someone to talk ideas with. It's hard sometimes doing everything on your own :D in JTT 1 it was more "Yeah that's fun" but never thought that other people would like it or understand the puzzles.

Mouth for war

Woohoo screenshot time! I've been lazy lately but now I'm finally working hard on JTT2 again...I've been adding a few minigames and doing the usual bugfixes you always encounter! It's getting pretty big already. There's already 30 different backgrounds and it's very early in the game, AND I have many ideas to work with

I've almost decided that this will become 2 games, so you can probably expect a conclusion in "JTT3 - The final showdown" (not the real title btw :) )

Oh well, here's some semi-bad art to laugh at ;)

NickyNyce

I beg to differ, the style is very cool, I like it. Coming along nicely, all the backgrounds look good.

Mouth for war

thanks! :D I wasn't that serious though, I'm somewhat satisfied with the graphics :) Added a new feature today! Learning how to lockpick! If you encounter a locked chest or whatever a lockpicking minigame will start...I hope to create lots of different minigames this time :D

arj0n

"Still ugly as hell"  ;D

JTT2 is one of the games I'm eagerly waiting for.
I really like the graphical style but man, I love that style of 'hard/cynical humor'. :)

Mouth for war

Yeah I don't want a wimp to be the hero...it's got to be some sort of anti-hero hehe :D

Mouth for war

Here's the lockpick sequence. Yeah I know, it looks incredibly hightech ;)

NickyNyce

Loving the nipple, if all you had to do was squeeze the nipple to beat the mini game I would be satisfied, brilliant!!  :D

Mouth for war

Like I've said before....can't think of a better interact-Icon ;)

Atelier

I loved the first Jimmy the Troublemaker so I'm really looking forward to this one.

Mouth for war

Thanks! Glad you liked it...I mean LOVED it :D Here's a new screenshot...new environment. Can't have those forest screens all the time hehe. I'll probably add a winter environment as well :)

Tabata

It may be unseemly (for me as a girl), but I like your game (including the interact-icon)  

Hope, I am not nitpicking, but shouldn't your windmill turn the other way around?

NickyNyce

Yes Tabata...it appears Mouth for war has created the coolest   8)   interact icon...

Just wait till you see what he does with the new pull icon.....  :o
Quote from: Tabata on Fri 19/08/2011 22:25:01
It may be unseemly (for me as a girl), but I like your game (including the interact-icon)  

I officially like you even more now....  ;)

Oh...and yeah, the game looks great  

Grim

I think the only thing that stopped me from playing the first game was... the tiny little screenshots you had of it. I couldn't see what was on them at all. I actually stopped at that thread, saw how popular it was and thought: should I give this one a go? Then always steered away, thinking it was probably rubbish... ;)

Now, I look at these screens and man, they're really good and LARGE! Excellent! Now, this has already convinced me that I want to play the game and I sure will once it's out.

Also, I think it's bizzare how  your art style doesn't match your avatar... ;) While the game looks really sweet and cute ( fine, there's a boob, okay, but it's a cute boob, too) your avatar looks like a pissed off rock'n'roller surrounded with hungry beasts from hell, fighting for survival... ;)

Cool.    :)

Mouth for war

Tabata I agree with you about the windmill. I will change the direction.
Yeah I have to say I love horror and metal and blood 'n' gore BUT...I love cartoony games as well....so never judge a book by it's cover haha :D  And Grim I'm glad you like my art :D

gameboy

Mouth for war

Darth Mandarb

That's a pity man!  Let me know if you pick it back up and I'll unlock this.
Unlocked

Mouth for war

Here's something to look at! Fishingtime!!! :D

Oh! And I've added a hint system. But every time you press the hint button it will cost the player 5$ and I was thinking about how I could prevent people from misusing it (Like saving, get the hint and then reload the game) Should I make it "impossible" for the player to reload for the next 5-10 minutes after getting the hint or maybe just delete the function? hehe. Do you have any good ideas?

Darth Mandarb

My opinion; don't bother wasting time trying to prevent them from cheating!  If they want to cheat and ruin their experience just let 'em. 

Trying to stop people cheating is as futile as trying to stop piracy :) 

Cheater's'goan cheat.

BTW - love the new screen!

cat

Yeah, if anyone wants to cheat they'll use a walkthrough or hints and tips forums anyway.

Graphics are looking great, btw!

Mouth for war

Yeah I guess you're both right (About the graphics awesomeness) ;) no but about the hints...you're right.
There 's no way to prevent it. And thanks! Glad you liked it :D

NickyNyce

Really glad to see you working on this again. As always, love the backgrounds and the nipple icon. Waiting patiently for this

Mouth for war

Thanks NickyNyce! Good to hear that :) Oh allright...one more screen then :D

cpage

Looks way cool. I cant wait to play it. Looks a lot like the old Scurvyliver games  like That Night Before

Mouth for war

Thanks! Glad to hear it! So here's the less humorous part of the game...Wanted to make one part a little more serious (Well...as serious as I can with these types of graphics hehe)Do you dare explore the haunted house? ;) I really hope the frights I'm putting in will make you jump...at least a little :D hehe...Damn this game is getting pretty big. 45 backgrounds made and there's still many more things to be done so expect this to be a lot bigger than JTT1

arj0n

Mouth for war

SO......Do you have the urge to raise your bad karma? Why don't go berserk with the newly added gun?
You'll be able to shoot lots of different things if you want to :D Things are going nice and steady! 52 backgrounds are finished and they just keep on coming hehe

Evil Jimmy ;D

Mouth for war

Ok It sure took some noodlescratching but I just felt like this sequel had no major improvments when it comes to graphics and even though graphics aren't the most important thing I felt that if Jimmy the troublemaker is gonna return, everything should be better (I know some puzzles etc in the first sucked pretty bad) I've learned a lot more about making graphics since that first abomination and even though JTT2 was almost finished I just scrapped everything to present you with

THIS...

this is how Jimmy the troublemaker 2 - A little older, a little...wiser? will look :) It will take a little more time before you can play it of course but I think it will be worth it. The game itself has a little changed story. Instead of going back to the place you were in the first game it will now take place in a brand new world called Agimore (working world name for now, might change that) Jimmy is being taught a lesson for always being a douche...He is sent to that world where other evil things are happening to once again become an anti-hero. Just like in the first game you spend very little time in your own world before being sent to that new place...although there are more screens this time then just grampas old attic ;) I've saved some ideas from the old version of the sequel...like the karmasystem ...but I renamed it badass points...those will be gained when you do bad stuff...for example, sneaking in to your little sisters room and read her diary etc.

Hope you will like this new style :)

miguel

Looking very professional, good job!
What software/methods did you use for the graphics?
Working on a RON game!!!!!

Mouth for war

Thank you sir! I'm using Poser pro 2014 for everything :)

CaptainD

I wish you'd continued working on your Far Side style game, but this still looks cool. 8-)  Jimmy now reminds me of TinTin though!!

Mandle

Looks good!

One thing though, and it might be just me, but the S in the font you are using looks too much like a G I feel.

Looks like: MUGHROOM and BAD AGG POINTG to me.

NickyNyce

I agree, the S looks like a G. This looks really cool, I love the style, but I'm not going to get my hopes up. Too many times you've crushed me by cancelling your projects. Hopefully this will get you to follow through this time. This looks really good...please finish it.

Mouth for war

Yeah but everyone knows it's an S ;D I'm actually also a little bothered by the 'S' but I liked the rest of the font so I just kept it. Not a big issue to change it though.

I promise I will finish this Nicky ;) I know some projects has been cancelled and I think that's beacuse I do everything myself...music,coding,graphics,designing (A lot of people do oneman projects I know) and sometimes you just feel "Ahhh to hell with it" but this will not be cancelled. Even my girlfriend told me 15 minutes ago "You really must work on this and finish it" haha. I wanted to make JTT2 for a long time and I did almost finish it when I just felt "No...I want Jimmy to return with POWER god damn it" This is how I wanted JTT to look like in the first place but I just sucked back then :D

NickyNyce

That forest pic looks 3D, very nice. I also loved the original graphics too, so it's a shame to know they won't be used.

Now take your time and hurry up with this, because I've been waiting to get into trouble.

arj0n

Quote from: NickyNyce on Thu 22/05/2014 01:47:07
Now take your time and hurry up with this, because I've been waiting to get into trouble.
Yeh, no hurries but hurry up! (laugh)

miguel

Take your time on your 8-hour-game-making schedule, you can rest on Sundays!
Working on a RON game!!!!!

Adeel

Quote from: Mandle on Wed 21/05/2014 09:52:31
Looks good!

One thing though, and it might be just me, but the S in the font you are using looks too much like a G I feel.

Looks like: MUGHROOM and BAD AGG POINTG to me.

This is exactly my opinion too!

Mouth for war

I guess those old bg could become freebie stuff in the contribution thread if anyone wants them :-) maybe that old jimmy character as well...i did a lot of animations so i guess someone could make a game with those. Anyway thanks for showing your support everyone. :-) some features will be day/nightcycles...teleportation will be available...side quests to some degree. I am thinking hard about more stuff. More magical stuff i hope too

Mouth for war

ok I'll share a new screenshot! I shared a little too much before I think hehe...I will present new screenies every now and then but not so often. Day and night cycles now working!!! :D

Adeel

It's good to see that you changed the font to something more readable. Nice work so far! :)

arj0n

Nice MfW, but I am gonna miss these oldschool graphicstyle...

Mouth for war

Thanks! I liked the other font more but as everyone pointed out...the s was bad. Arjon...how can you miss that crappy graphics i did before ;-) no they have some charm for sure but it just didn't feel fun to do a second game with almost the exact same graphics :-)

AprilSkies

Maybe old graphics was interesting... And it's understandable that many of us liked it a lot (because it's so ol school)... But new graphics, oh wow! It's very professional!!!! Good job, man! I like it.

There's an Italian Game Maker who made a game using "visionaire" that made a similar graphics: http://langolodelmenphis.weebly.com/
Maybe he used the same tool...

Anyway, wow. The last screenshot is Amazing. The moon-light is wonderful.

www.apemarina.altervista.org

Mouth for war

Thanks man! :) Ah well what do you know. I don't know if he used Poser for bg's but I think he used the same toon character pack I have haha! :D

Mouth for war

here's another piece of candy hehe :D

The good ol' shovel has made it's triumphant return so you'd better look for them digspots!!! Jimmy will also be able to learn how to climb....so take off to the treetops to find secrets :) This sequel will have nothing to do with the first game. It's a new world and new characters! Only some references to the first game will be included. Oh and Nicky, I just have to reassure you again that this WILL be  finished ;) Oh! You will also be able to choose Jimmy's behaviour...those who don't mind the insults can choose Bad behaviour it, and those who don't like that stuff can choose Good behaviour :D

Story has changed because the game takes place in a new world called Agimore(at least for now that's the name)

Marlak used to be Master Siphilos's (Not Syphilis as Jimmy will refer to him of course :D ) disciple but it was all a scheme to take his place as the new royal wizard. When they were set to try out a new spell, Marlak made sure that Siphilos would fail. The king banished him for killing innocent people. Marlak sealed Siphilos in a cave and he's the only one who has the power to stop Marlak,who uses his dark magic agains the king. If nothing is done, Marlak will eventually enslave the king and make himself the new ruler. It's up to our foulmouthed,illmannered hero to break the seal. In order to do that he must collect the Mura stones. Those stones contain tears from the ancient gods. With a little help from Vincent, a talking rabbit, those tears can be used to create destructive powers to break the seal...Hope it sounds interesting and that you like the new screenie :)

NickyNyce

Sign me up for the foul mouthed version. I like the bad ass points too.

If you do not release this game, I will hunt you down. No pressure...lol

Mouth for war

Somehow I choose to Believe that ;) Ok here's something new to look at. It's in the first town/village called Wynne (Continued from the last bg)  Where there's a few houses to explore, a shop,a tavern and the king's castle (To be made with interiors) Next will be the beach area! Development is going nice. I've made 27 bg's and about 17 characters since I first called out that Jimmy 2 will get a new look. Pretty fast I think :D Oh and I've also put in a "Notes" GUI to keep track of puzzles/quests etc.

AprilSkies

I'm really looking forward to try it ... so...
I dare you to finish it ASAP!!!

www.apemarina.altervista.org

Mouth for war

Thanks! Haha yeah I'm working my ass off with this but I'm taking the weekend off just this once ;)

donkeymilk

I'm looking toward to this game,the graphics look great.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk