Simple and easy to use video editing program

Started by Matti, Tue 28/12/2010 14:01:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Matti

Can anyone recommend me a simple and easy video editing software? I don't need anything fancy, I just want to cut, copy and paste video snippets, make some transitions and put music in the back.. so yeah, something simple.

I checked out  some programs half a year ago or so, but every one of them had some annoying limitations/flaws or was confusing in some way, so I didn't use any of them.

DoorKnobHandle

Freeware only?

It sounds like Windows Movie Maker should do the job if you just want simple transitions and super simple (and non-professional) drag&drop-style editing plus music.

InCreator

Commercial:
Sony Vegas.

It's a pro-class tool, but extremely easy to use, not a single bit of headache you would get from say - Virtualdub or Adobe Premiere.
Try a demo!

Virtualdub classifies as minimal, free program for what you need, but I don't think it's that super simple.

Matti

Quote from: dkh on Tue 28/12/2010 14:09:48
Freeware only?

Not necessarily.

It sounds like Windows Movie Maker should do the job if you just want simple transitions and super simple (and non-professional) drag&drop-style editing plus music.

Ah, Movie Maker, I remember using it some years ago. But as far as I remember, it was too simple and unprofessional. I'd prefer something a bit more advanced.

Thanks, Inc, I'll try that out.

m0ds

MGI VideoWave, if you can find it anywhere - used to come on some CD's, and it's definitely several steps up from Movie Maker.

And as this is general discussion, can't vouch for it's authenticity or if it works, but tum te tummm ;)

DoorKnobHandle

Well, if all you want is really just simple drag&drop style cutting of footage, hard cuts and simple transitions (fades and wipes) and music in the background then there really is no way that Windows Movie Maker is too unprofessional because it does all these things just fine. You could do the same in any professional editing suite but the outcome would be the same.

There is the Lightworks Beta, I have only played with it a bit, it's actually freeware but highly professional - probably too professional for your needs, more something for actual editors to play with, I do like it but if you don't know what three-point editing is, for example, you probably won't be able to use it.

So, yeah, if there are actual features you want that Windows Movie Maker can't provide, decent titles for examples, then look into "acquiring" Sony Vegas or a demo version of that. It's not quite professional (no serious editor would use it in the business) but it is decent and it is indeed easy to use for people that aren't actually editors.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk