Movie Suggestions?

Started by Guybrush Nosehair, Fri 28/01/2011 04:01:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Domino

The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0923752/

Great Documentary and also a great movie.

kconan

River's Edge
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091860/

I instantly thought of this movie.  It's a good flick and a bit like "Stand By Me" in that some kids find a body, but this one is much darker.

GreenBoy

Empire of the Sun.  I still can't believe that movie had Ben Stiller in it, it's actually quite good.

Dualnames

Quote from: GreenBoy on Mon 31/01/2011 09:36:39
Empire of the Sun.  I still can't believe that movie had Ben Stiller in it, it's actually quite good.

Seconded. One of my all time favorites. I knew Christian Bale, before he was known :P. But seriously, this movie is a tear-jerking (at times) tale of a kid, that's behaving like a goddamn kid! And that's what makes it great.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Guybrush Nosehair

Quote from: GreenBoy on Mon 31/01/2011 09:36:39

I've actually come across that suggestion several times. I've decided to finally watch it. Christian Bale really is a great actor.

Thanks for the suggestion, and keep 'em coming!

Charity

'Where the Wild Things Are' was marketed as a kids' movie, and it certainly isn't adult in the way that gets the MPAA rating marked up, but it's so damn ambiguous and depressing that I think it deserves a mention.  I guess it is sort of a deconstruction of the whole Magical Land with Fuzzy Animals genre.  Don't expect a really tight plot, but it is definitely sentimental, and the kid in it is fantastic.

LGM

Some female leads:

Let the Right One In
Tideland
True Grit

More Kid centered dramas:

If you like Christian Bale as a kid, there's Newsies. It's a musical, but it's quite good. And Bill Pullman is in it
I second Where the Wild Things Are
There's also a german film called The Tin Drum. That's a very crazy, controversial one. Kinda offputting, but worth watching.
You. Me. Denny's.

Babar

I was recently recommended Paper Moon. I was skeptical considering the source of the recommendation (I'll never doubt you again! Except your animé suggestions :P), but after watching it, I have to say it was great. Old (1970s, but filmed in black and white), but gold- I think the child actress is the youngest recipient of an Academy Award.
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Darth Mandarb

I, too, was going to mention Empire of the Sun due to it's greatness.

I can't say I am in the same boat with some of your choices.  The Goonies is a movie I have nothing but love for (not saying it's my "favorite" but I think it's a great movie!)  It might be nostalgia as I grew up with it.  Same with The Lost Boys.  I can't stand Haley Joel Osment and rank him right up there with Jake Lloyd.

Here are some suggestions (in no particular order):

The Horse Whisperer (1998)
Featuring a young (and less buxom) Scarlett Johansson.  A tad slow, but a drama, though not really about kids I think she stole the show (and it has Robert Redford in it, so that's saying something!).

Hounddog (2007)
Featuring Dakota Fanning (who I think is destined for many Oscars) ... it's very disturbing, but definitely a drama.  This kid can act more with her face than most adult actors in the biz.

Explorers (1985)
Does have a previously mentioned name (River Phoenix) but also a young Ethan Hawke.  Not sure it's "drama" enough, but an enjoyable movie

White Squall (1996)
Bunch of young kids supporting each other (and their captain) ... not the greatest movie, but it's got the Dude in it and is directed by Ridley Scott.

The Good Son (1993)
Does have Elija in it, but also Macaulay Culkin.  It's another surprisingly disturbing film, but is worth watching.

I could keep listing them off ... but I'll stop with just these few.

Guybrush Nosehair

Quote from: Darth Mandarb on Tue 01/02/2011 18:47:13
I, too, was going to mention Empire of the Sun due to it's greatness.

I can't say I am in the same boat with some of your choices.  The Goonies is a movie I have nothing but love for (not saying it's my "favorite" but I think it's a great movie!)  It might be nostalgia as I grew up with it.  Same with The Lost Boys.  I can't stand Haley Joel Osment and rank him right up there with Jake Lloyd.

Here are some suggestions (in no particular order):

The Horse Whisperer (1998)
Featuring a young (and less buxom) Scarlett Johansson.  A tad slow, but a drama, though not really about kids I think she stole the show (and it has Robert Redford in it, so that's saying something!).

Hounddog (2007)
Featuring Dakota Fanning (who I think is destined for many Oscars) ... it's very disturbing, but definitely a drama.  This kid can act more with her face than most adult actors in the biz.

Explorers (1985)
Does have a previously mentioned name (River Phoenix) but also a young Ethan Hawke.  Not sure it's "drama" enough, but an enjoyable movie

White Squall (1996)
Bunch of young kids supporting each other (and their captain) ... not the greatest movie, but it's got the Dude in it and is directed by Ridley Scott.

The Good Son (1993)
Does have Elija in it, but also Macaulay Culkin.  It's another surprisingly disturbing film, but is worth watching.

I could keep listing them off ... but I'll stop with just these few.

I just watched The Good Son a few days ago. It was okay, but somewhat stupid (I expected as much from it's IMDB rating). Hounddog sounds interesting, but it also has a poor rating, and I'm not the biggest fan of Dakota Fanning. I'll have to consider that one. I like how you suggested Explorers (as it starred River Phoenix), but I'm mainly looking for movies geared towards an adult audience.

Guybrush Nosehair

Quote from: Lyaer on Tue 01/02/2011 03:34:10
'Where the Wild Things Are' was marketed as a kids' movie, and it certainly isn't adult in the way that gets the MPAA rating marked up, but it's so damn ambiguous and depressing that I think it deserves a mention.  I guess it is sort of a deconstruction of the whole Magical Land with Fuzzy Animals genre.  Don't expect a really tight plot, but it is definitely sentimental, and the kid in it is fantastic.

I was going to skip out on that one, but some thought, I'm deciding to watch it. Great going!

Domino

Once again I have failed. I suggested a movie which is way off topic from what you were looking for.

Domino  :-[

Guybrush Nosehair

Quote from: Domino on Wed 02/02/2011 02:32:44
Once again I have failed. I suggested a movie which is way off topic from what you were looking for.

Domino  :-[

It may be off topic, but it sounds interesting never-the-less (I actually heard about it a while back). I may watch it some time in the future.

Charity

Not a movie, but you might also want to keep an eye on the upcoming HBO series "A Game of Thrones."  The series of books it is based on are very adult (in both maturity/complexity and the sex-and-violence sense of the term) and have a number of child characters in key roles.  Obviously, as the series hasn't aired yet, I can't really speak to the quality, except that the footage I've seen -looks- promising and at least one of the child actors they've found looks pretty sharp.

Not sure when it airs, but if memory serves, maybe fall-ish?

Igor Hardy

I completely forgot about the other Peter Weir movies - they should be perfect for you:

Dead Poets Society
Picnic at the Hanging Rock

Even Master & Commander has some great child roles and growing-up themes.

Wonkyth

Loved Dead Poet Society.
"But with a ninja on your face, you live longer!"

moshboy

You could try The Dangerous Lives of Altar Boys with Emile Hirsch and Kieran Culkin.

Imaginary Heroes with Emile Hirsch.

I thought they were both pretty decent.

You've probably already seen Donnie Darko but I'll suggest it anyways.

GarageGothic

Stupot

Quote from: GarageGothic on Thu 03/02/2011 15:09:41
Heavenly Creatures (Peter Jackson, 1994)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110005/

Good film.  I very nearly suggested it the other day, but wasn't quite sure it fit Grim's criteria.  The characters are younger than the actresses who play them.  Although there are flashback scene's with younger actresses playing their childhood selves.

Definitely worth a watch for anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

tzachs

Dude, I must say that this:
Quote from: grim107 on Fri 28/01/2011 04:01:22
Mostly, I'd like to see sentimental movies with child actors, but aimed towards an adult audience.
sounds a bit creepy on first reading...  ;)

Anyways, I'd like to second Lord Of The Flies, I remember seeing it as a teenager, and getting the shock of my life.
It's been a long time so I hope my memory doesn't fail me, but I remember it as a really thought provoking movie.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk