Maniac Mansion Deluxe with with Ubuntu 10.10 (32 bit)

Started by -x-, Sun 06/02/2011 22:33:03

Previous topic - Next topic

-x-

Hello. I'm not sure if it is a bug or a fault of mine so I try to ask in this forum. Otherwise please feel free to move my request to the right place. Thanks in advance.

After downloading and starting (with Wine) the Maniac Mansion Deluxe installer a folder called "MMD" was created in the Wine programs folder wherein now all the files which should be needed for running this game. I tried to run it with different Wine versions (1.2.2; 1.3.12; 1.3.13;) but the only thing that works are error messages:

Then I read it should be working with AGS. So I made a copy of the previous created "MMD" folder and downloaded AGS 2.72 + special path fix and did everything what were written in the readme.txt:

• Running the installer.sh from the terminal (else it doesn't work)
  • Then I entered the path to the "MMD" folder and for executable file I entered "Maniac.exe"
  • Now the runtime files and the "doc" folder where copied automatically to this folder and "Maniac.exe" was renamed
  • Then I replaced the "AGS272" with that one from the fix and tried to start it

But nothing happens. In the terminal I got the same error message as HeirOfNorton:

Code: ags

$ ./AGS272 
./AGS272: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/liballeg.so.4.2: undefined symbol: _blender_trans24

Seems that the developers made some mistakes while compiling AGS.

When I tried to run the "ags-setup" (works from GUI only) I could change some settings but after "Save and Run" nothing happens. Same problems with AGS 3.12. Did I anything wrong? What could I do to run this game on my Ubuntu system?

Edits: fixed error message; added link to allegro forum; some typos;

Joseph DiPerla

Make sure the setup file is in the wine c drive folder. If you go to your username directory and press ctrl-h, you will get all the hidden folders. The c drive folder is in .wine. Once you move it there, click the properties and make sure the file has the executable option checked.

Try it then.

Also, make sure you have ./winetricks installed and run it to install DirectX drivers, dotnet 2, comctrl and others if you need them. Hope this helps.

Also, once you move it into that c drive folder, you could execute it by just double clicking it.
Joseph DiPerla--- http://www.adventurestockpile.com
Play my Star Wars MMORPG: http://sw-bfs.com
See my Fiverr page for translation and other services: https://www.fiverr.com/josephdiperla
Google Plus Adventure Community: https://plus.google.com/communities/116504865864458899575

-x-

Quote from: Joseph DiPerla on Sun 06/02/2011 22:40:09
Make sure the setup file is in the wine c drive folder. If you go to your username directory and press ctrl-h, you will get all the hidden folders. The c drive folder is in .wine. Once you move it there, click the properties and make sure the file has the executable option checked.

Try it then.

Also, make sure you have ./winetricks installed and run it to install DirectX drivers, dotnet 2, comctrl …

I did all you said.

… and others if you need them.

What else? I don't know what is needed. That's why I'm asking here.

Hope this helps.

Unfortunately not. But thank you.

Maybe here is someone who made it run and could tell his experience how he did it? Would be great.

-x-

Yay â€" I've done it!

Problem 1 â€" Graphics mode:
By starting winsetup.exe there's a bug that won't create the mandatory needed acsetup.cfg file. So you've to do it yourself with the following content:

[sound]
digiid=-1
midiid=-1
digiwin=1096302880
midiwin=-1
digiindx=0
midiindx=0
digiwinindx=0
midiwinindx=0
[misc]
gamecolordepth=16
defaultres=1
screenres=1
letterbox=0
windowed=0
refresh=0
[language]
translation=English

Problem 2 â€" Sound driver:
The audio issues depends on a well known conflict between PulseAudio and Wine, which can be solved with a special startscript (don't forget to set the execution rights!).

#!/bin/sh

# Deactivate PulseAudio if audio problems occur:
pulseaudio -k

# Start wine application:
env WINEPREFIX="$HOME/.wine" wine Maniac.exe

# Reactivate PulseAudio:
pulseaudio -D

angus77

This fix works with Ubuntu 10.10, but it doesn't seem to work with Debian...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk