MAGS April: "Time" (CLOSED)

Started by Atelier, Fri 01/04/2011 16:28:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Atelier

Topic: 'Time'

This month's guidelines were set by DuncanFX:

Time is running out for your protagonist!
Make a game featuring some form of timed "threat".

Ideas to help you:

• A time bomb must be disarmed...
• A dying old man's final day...
• A comet is heading for the Earth...
• You're late for work! Hurry up or you'll be fired!
• You need to escape a bedroom before your illicit affair is discovered...

Ending 30/4/2011

What is MAGS?

MAGS is a monthly competition for all amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, or provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favorite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

You may get help for the competition, although you must end up doing something yourself. You should however be warned that it proves difficult to organize a big team within thirty days. You are not allowed to use material already created before this competition. Your game must be completely new! Music and sound is an exception; you can use free material that is available to the public, if you wish. Modules and templates are also allowed. Please do not enter the competition with a rushed entry (a game created last minute). Sure, you can make a game and rush it - but don't do this just to win by default.

Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualise your game following the month's criteria (see top). Second, create your game fueled only by coffee. Third, finally, and most importantly, post your game here, including:

✓ A working download link.
✓ The title of your game.
✓ A suitable screenshot.

At the end of the month, the all-important voting will begin! This period usually lasts fifteen days. Should you win, along with announcing the next month's rules, your name and game will be immortalised in the MAGS Archive. Yet hopefully, at the end of the month, the accomplishment of finishing a game will be your greatest prize. For more information please visit the Official MAGS website.

WHAM

Can't I just resubmit LaSol?  ;D

I love time as an inventive in a game (Infection 1 had it, Infection 2 will feature time very prominently and LaSol was purely time-based) so I'll be looking into getting something out for this!
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Igor Hardy

LaSol is the first thing that came up in my mind after reading about this MAGS topic.

Armageddon

Hah, this could be cool, over in one of the Critic threads they were talking about a VerbCoin that deteriorates.

Igor Hardy

Quote from: Armageddon on Fri 01/04/2011 18:53:54
Hah, this could be cool, over in one of the Critic threads they were talking about a VerbCoin that deteriorates.

Yeah, that was my idea and indeed it would fit with the MAGS theme of this month. Would anyone like to collaborate on something like that with me - "the deteriorating VerbCoin game"? Armageddon?

But I must openly say I have only time for something quick, dirty and simple. More of a joke game.

Armageddon

I could help, if you could code it I have a lot of time this month so I could make some art. :D

Igor Hardy

Quote from: Armageddon on Fri 01/04/2011 19:29:57
I could help, if you could code it I have a lot of time this month so I could make some art. :D

PM'd. Let's see what we can come up with. Maybe it'll hold together. ;)

straydogstrut

Quote from: Ascovel on Fri 01/04/2011 20:06:36
Maybe it'll hold together. ;)

With sticky tape and love anything's possible;-)

I *may* attempt something for this (third time lucky) but how loosely can the time limit be interpreted? I mean, personally i'm not much of a fan of timed sections/games - probably the wrong MAGS for me but I just had an exciting idea - so i'm thinking more along the lines of an implied time limit that progresses with the story rather than in real time. Would that be okay? If not, i'll go with a traditional one I guess.

DuncanFx

Quote from: straydogstrut on Sat 02/04/2011 12:50:08
I *may* attempt something for this (third time lucky) but how loosely can the time limit be interpreted?

I was hoping to keep the theme fairly open to interpretation. I didn't picture that there had to be an actual time limit or timed section necessarily when I wrote the rules, but there needs to be a sense of urgency or time "running out" to at least part of the plot/theme. :) Of course, a time limit or timed section would also be acceptable. ;D

Anyway, good luck to everyone who decides to give this one a go. Unfortunately, I won't be able to see what you lot are doing for a couple of weeks, as I'm moving cross country for a new job tomorrow and am going to potentially be off the net for a while. :(

AJA

Oh man. Just a while ago I was planning on making this one game idea I have for a MAGS competition and apparently this month's theme is the perfect fit. Let's see if I'll manage to whip up something playable in a month. I'll probably have forgotten about this by tomorrow.

Diath

I like this idea enough that I think ill attempt to enter a MAGS competition. I havent scripted in AGS in about a year or so. I hope  im not too rusty.

an image to solidify my promise  :=

WHAM

I've finished the concept and design. Will start to draw final graphics in the upcoming few days and hopefully will get to coding by the end of the week. I'm aiming for a simple little game with a bit of replayability and lovely retro graphics. Perhaps some music as well, although I'm afraid my usual musician might be unable to work on this one.  :( If you want to make some music (preferrably something with a chiptune sound to it) PM me!

I aim to have:
- replayability without being frustrating
- voice acting
- intuitive controls and gameplay
- cool SNES style graphics (320 x 200)
- Alternate endings
- ACHIEVEMENTS! (Every game HAS TO HAVE achievements!)

Here's a little concept art:
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Radiant

Quote from: WHAM on Fri 01/04/2011 17:48:12
Can't I just resubmit LaSol?  ;D
Can't I just resubmit Warthogs? ;D

hedgefield

Liking the theme this time. It immediately sparked some ideas in my mind. I think I'll participate in this one :)

Rocco

Time is always a big issue in my game concepts,
so if i dont get too busy with work this month,
im in.  :D

mode7

I'd also love to enter this one.
I like the thing with the screen. Kind of gives you an extra kick in the butt.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
If you can guess what this is rip... erm inspired from, you'll get a cookie

Actually I don't know if it's a little to heavy to lift for me.
Especially in the animation department.
I could use some help with the coding not so much with the platformer engine - which i already have partly but with implementing puzzles and also in the creative department.
Maybe someone want's to collaborate?

Igor Hardy

Quote from: mode7 on Tue 05/04/2011 21:19:48
I'd also love to enter this one.
I like the thing with the screen. Kind of gives you an extra kick in the butt.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
If you can guess what this is rip... erm inspired from, you'll get a cookie

Actually I don't know if it's a little to heavy to lift for me.
Especially in the animation department.
Maybe someone want's to collaborate?

An Out of This World beauty this is!

mode7

Well, I'd prefer the term: Another world  8)

anyway... you get a cookie

Igor Hardy

Quote from: mode7 on Tue 05/04/2011 21:24:33
Well, I'd prefer the term: Another world  8)

anyway... you get a cookie

Yum! Thanks! :)

Armageddon

Looks like The Dig meets a very Blocky Another World. 8)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk