Greetings from Barbarian

Started by Barbarian, Sun 22/05/2011 06:52:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Barbarian

Hi all.
Your friendly Barbarian here.

I haven't been here in ages, and not sure if any of the "old timers" are still hanging about, or how many of youse might even remember me.

I was going through some old files I had, and happen to find some of the old games I made using AGS, which got me to thinking I should pop-in here and see what's going on and say hi.

I noticed that my old games in the library had outdated links and broken-images, so I went in and updated the the links and pics for my old games (the ones that I was still able to find):

Escape from Evergreen Forest: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/games.php?action=detail&id=450
The Great Stroke Off: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/games.php?action=detail&id=540
Dark of Night: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/games.php?action=detail&id=637
Knight Quest for the Golden Ring: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/games.php?action=detail&id=853

Well, life's been a real adventure in itself (but, I can save some of those details for another time). I was living over in SE Asia for several years, but have now since returned back "home" to Canada for a while now.
I'm still trying to figure some things out and get "back-on-my-feet" so to speak, but I'm working towards improving my situation.

I've still been fairly active in the creative-side of things though, but focusing on a different interest/hobby these last couple of years or so in that regards. I've gotten into RailWorks, which is a fairly realistic Train-Simulator that I enjoy using, and I've taught myself how to build Routes & Scenarios for it as well.
You can see my site for it over at: http://www.rryard.com/ if interested.  I've made and released a few freeware projects for it, but have now just released my first Payware for it (a Scenario Expansion Pack which I hope to see some success from), and currently working on a High-Speed-Route project as well.

I was thinking I'd like to get back into making some Adventure Games again at some point with the AGS program.. but it looks like I'd probably have to re-learn and re-teach myself a lot of it, as it appears lots of changes have been made to the AGS engine & editor since I've last used it.

Anyways, that's just very briefly an update about what I've been up to these last few years.
It would be great for any of my old AGS friends that may still be around to say hi and get in contact with me.
Or, even if I don't know you, feel welcome to shout at me.

Cheers!  :)
Conan: "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!"
Mongol General: "That is good."

Blade of Rage: www.BladeOfRage.com

Buckethead

Hey man welcome back.

I think I remember you. Wasn't it you that was making a game about an elevator with Half life assets?

Anyway, it's really cool of you to update those links for your. I think Peder was looking for a few of those game for his site: http://www.agsarchives.com/.

Igor Hardy

Hey there, Barbarian! I never knew you, but Escape from Evergreen Forest is legendary around the forums now - even more so because the download link was down and Leon was the only provider of the game's copies.

Barbarian

Buckethead: Hiya. I think I remember you too.. didn't you used to have your avatar pic of you wearing a KFC bucket your head?  :D
Yeah, I was experimenting with making an adventure-horror games of sorts with AGS, "The Elevator - Rise from the Abyss" I was calling it, and yeah, I "borrowed" graphics from some games such as Silent-Hill and Half-Life for some "placeholder graphics" ;)
I was making good progress on it too (and I may yet perhaps put it out as a "Release Something" in-completed game if there's enough interest... and if I can manage to find the old project.. I think I have it around somewhere on backups).

But, then, life got kinda got in the way. And while I was living in Asia, my Dad passed away, and plus some other difficult hardships life threw at me, for a long while I just kinda lost interest in working on any gaming projects.  But, I've found my creative-side again these last couple of years (as I mentioned in my first post), and kinda longing to get back into perhaps making some Adventure games again with wonderful AGS.

Ascovel: Hey, thanks for your kind words. Well, I didn't know my Escape From Evergreen Forest game was "legendary", but, I knew it did have some positive popularity about it. It was the first full game I made and released with AGS. It's rough, and I see a lot of mistakes in it, and there's lots of things I probably would have done differently if I could jump into some time-machine and redo it. But, as it stands, I think the game has a bit of a unique charm to it , and despite it's shortcomings and mistakes I made with creating it, it still turned out to be a fairly good game I think which I hope people enjoyed.

*Edit: Hey, I found that old adventure-horror game I was last working on via AGS. A player could probably get perhaps 30 - 40 minutes of playtime with it as it is (but it's unfinished of course). But, if enough people thought it was still worth seeing (I don't think I'll bother to finish that particular project, but it would be a shame to let all of the time and work I put into go to waste without anyone seeing it), I could probably upload it so people can give it a try.
Conan: "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!"

Dualnames

Yeah, I remember you, Barbarian! How could a person not! Dark of Night!  :D
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Chicky

I totally remember you, not your avatar though! Welcome back! Please stay  :=

Peder 🚀

I got your game The Elevator if you want to update that in the AGS database too http://www.agsarchives.com/gamecard/449/the-elevator.html ;).

Welcome back! I believe I've seen you around before but I probably never talked with you O_o.
Railworks is awesome! :). Might try out some of your stuff for it!

Darth Mandarb

Hey Don!  Good to "see" you again!

I was thinking about you the other day actually ... I found some old dev files on an old hard-drive for the menu screens of my Star Wars DVDs I was going to make all those years ago!  I never did that of course because, eventually, the OT (non-special editions) came out on DVD!

Anyway... welcome back!  Hope you stick around for a bit!

Barbarian

Well, if anyone was interested, I've uploaded my "The Elevator - Rise from the Abyss" project to one of those file sharing sites. The download-size is 65.3 MB.
*Notice: The game is meant for adult players. The game may contain scenes or situations relating to violence, gore, profanity, nudity, sex... etc.
You can get it from the following link:
http://www.mediafire.com/?hl9nqw2kkxum93g  ,then on that page click on the line that reads "Click here to start download from MediaFire.."
or
from a mirror-download location:
http://oron.com/njxl6xm6d1ox/Rise_from_Abyss.zip.html
For the free-download, scroll down that page a bit and click on the "Regular Download" button, then you'll get a count-down timer when it reaches 0 you get a "Captcha" thingy you have to type in the words that appear, then you can download the file. I know, a hassle, but hey, it's a free file-sharing service and as it's a somewhat sizable file, I didn't want to eat-up too much bandwidth on my paid-for-hosting site.

Dualnames: Hi. I remember you too. Egads! Someone actually liked that silly little "Dark of Night" made-for-Halloween-game?  ;)

Chicky: Hi there. I don't remember your avatar-pic looking so "evil" as it does now (I had a bit of a crush on your earlier avatar-pic of her.. heheh). Yeah, I don't know what, or where my old avatar-pic is, so I've now put-up some other "Barbarian" suitable looking one now.

Peder: Thanks. Hey, another RailWorks fan. Yeah, I didn't think I'd become so addicted to a train-sim, but I do get a lot of enjoyment from it. And the things one can create with the powerful editor can be real works-of-art.  Yes, if you get a chance, check out my RRYard.com site, and you can find and get some of my projects in the "Routes & Scenarios" section there.

Darth: Nice to see you still around good man! :) Thanks for the welcome back.

Nikolas

Hey Don!

I guess you brought me back here as well... I do frequent the forums, but really don't post anymore that much. For various reasons... :-/

Dualnames

Quote from: Nikolas on Sun 22/05/2011 21:25:34
Hey Don!

I guess you brought me back here as well... I do frequent the forums, but really don't post anymore that much. For various reasons... :-/

Isn't it because all you musicians are lazy???

I saw that topic and I agree.  >:(

(this is sarcasm for the love of god(wait now that I'm an atheist can i use that phrase?  ;)))
                                                                                                                            Speaking about Chicky's Avatar, who is that chick, plx. I've been dying to find out!!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Barbarian

Nikolas, my old friend, good to see you're still about.
Hoping things are well with you and life's been good. We should chat soon and catch up on things.
Best wishes! ---Don.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Well if it isn't Bro-barian, I wondered what happened to you.  Sounds like you've spent your time more creatively than I have.

Nikolas

Quote from: Barbarian on Sun 22/05/2011 22:20:24
Nikolas, my old friend, good to see you're still about.
Hoping things are well with you and life's been good. We should chat soon and catch up on things.
Best wishes! ---Don.
Sure thing Don! My MSN remains the same ;)

Dual: I'm generally so busy that I don't frequent the Internet that much... :( Let alone my various gigs when I'm in the studio (and thus online)... :'(

Dualnames

Quote from: Nikolas
Dual: I'm generally so busy that I don't frequent the Internet that much... :( Let alone my various gigs when I'm in the studio (and thus online)... :'(

It's okay, Nikola, it's always nice to occasionally see you post here. If life is on the way there's no need apologizing, it'd be selfish from me or anyone to be mad at you.

Barbarian

Eh? I guess I missed something in my absence.

Anyhoooo.... :)

ProgZ: Hey dude, nice to see you're still around. Well, we can all get busy and side-tracked in life at times.

Peder: I downloaded "The Elevator" from your site. Gave it a try and noticed the sounds were broken/missing on that version. I don't know why. But anyways, I managed to find it on one of my backups. I've now uploaded the version that everything appears to work as it should, you can get it here if you wanted to update the file on your own site:
http://www.mediafire.com/?kxhxngm90hh763b
If you needed some screen-shot images for my old games you might have on your site, I've now updated my old games pages here on the AGS library, so you can grab screenies from them if you like.  For a list of my games you can just check out my profile:
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?action=profile;u=2428

Nik: I haven't used MSN (or any online chat messanges for that matter) in ages. But yeah, perhaps we can chat and catch up sometime hopefully. Or we can do PM's or emails.

Peder 🚀

Hey thanks, I just checked it out and it seems it is because the sounds are turned off by default, so they have to be turned on via winsetup.exe. I shall however download your file and reupload it :).
I'll also grab some screenies from the AGS library aswell, as soon as I get the user system up and running you'll also be able to claim ownership of the games end edit them yourself if you like etc. :).

Domino

So, I guess you never got to be in that Jackie Chan movie?

How could I forget you!! :-)

Barbarian

Peder: Right, I forgot about checking the set-up file. Also, the copy you had on your site before had a save-game file with it. But, anyways, you now have my version with the sound enabled by default.  So, get a chance to try any of my RailWorks projects yet from my RRYard.com site?

Domino: Hey there. Nice to see you're still about.  Yeah, I was sooooo close to having that part in a Jackie Chan movie. I was supposed to play the role of a Bodyguard for the main "bad-guy" in the movie, then I was supposed to do a little fight-scene with Jackie.  But, alas, they kept changing schedules, changing shoots, changing actors, and changing the script. They kept postponing my part, but said they still wanted to use me... then one day I  got the dissapointing news, "Sorry, the script has been changed, and we might not need you now. But, Jackie still likes you and may want you for another movie later".  Well, that's sort of like Hong Kong style film-making... slap-together a loose script, and often times it's fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants with multiple times changing the actors, locations, shoot-dates, story, etc... Anyways, that was the last I heard from them, then, well, now I'm back home in Canada now.  I guess that movie was a real dud anyways and didn't do well.

Still, I did spend several years in Asia, I got to see and do some amazing things. I wrote and published a book on the Martial-Arts during my stay there (so, I can say "I'm a Published Author", if that counts ;) ). I got to train with some of the Masters in Martial-Arts there, as well I taught Martial-Arts. I did play a few bit-part in a few movies, commercials and even a TV documentary on Martial-Arts. I even did a bit of fight-scene-choreography. So, I was "semi-famous" for a little while there in Hong Kong.  Overall, it was a great life experience being there. I do miss it in some ways, but for now I think I'll be living home here in Canada and try to get-back-on-my-feet again.  It's been difficult though, almost like "reverse culture shock". But, I'll keep working towards improving my situation.

Cheers!

Eigen

Oh, hey, Don. Glad to see you're back. I was just playing The Great Stroke-Off a few weeks ago and started thinking how everybody was doing and how I was really lucky to work with the great team we had, even though my part was really small. If you ever want to make a sequel, or want music for some other game, maybe I could help you out. I've gotten better at it by now, I promise :D I really didn't know what I was doing back then.

Again, welcome back!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk