Detective Rizal and the Jaded Ruby

Started by accidentalrebel, Thu 26/05/2011 16:33:27

Previous topic - Next topic

accidentalrebel

New update!

Uploaded a demo for the game!

=============================================

Hi guys,

Decided to make a devlog here for an upcoming game I'm creating for a local competition.

The competition is to create a game where we should include or feature the national hero of the Philippines, Dr. Jose Rizal. Competition started last May 18 and ends on June 18.

i. Short Intro
I've always loved mystery and detective stories. For the longest time I've always wanted to create a game on this genre.

I. Title (Tentative)
Dr. Rizal and the Jaded Ruby (or something along those lines).

II. Genre
Point and Click Adventure Mystery/Detective Game. Heavily inspired by the Ace Attorney/Phoenix Wright series.

III. Target Audience
Adventure game lovers. However, I'll be trying my best to make it accessible to non-gamers for more potential players. It means using easy to understand controls and interfaces with playable tutorials.

IV. Details:
The game will be a point and click adventure mystery/detective game inspired by the Phoenix Wright series and Detective Conan Anime. The basic premise is that the player will take control of Rizal where you will help him solve mysteries and murders. You can do so by looking for clues, interrogating witnesses and confronting the culprit. Since Rizal is often attributed as a very intelligent individual, I believe that this kind of genre is a nice fit to his personality.

V. Story
I'm currently working on the story right now, ironing out the logic, sniffing for plot holes.

I already have an idea for a case that I'll be using for the game. Since there is only one month left before the deadline, I'm just going to make it short while making sure that it is fun to solve. If the game proves to be a success, I might add more cases in the future.

VI. Setting
Paris, France, 1886. The time when Rizal was studying abroad.

VII. Technical Details
I initially wanted to use Flash but decided against it as creating an engine for it would take a lot of time. Which is why I decided to use Adventure Game Studio.

I figured that since all the necessary stuff to create an adventure game is already done, it would help me concentrate on the story and art.

VIII. Task Assignments
I'm planning to do everything from art, writing, to programming.

As for the music, I've asked for the help of my cousin, Jerel Limayo, who is a musical composer.

IXProgress
- graphics 35%
- puzzles 50%
- scripting 50%
- music/sound 25%

Videos
Trailer for the game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkBV1yjT3Lo&hd=1

Pictures

Darth Mandarb

Those are, basically, the same screenshot... do you have another (different background)?  I'm not going to lock this as it does, technically, meet the rules (and you certainly provided good information) but a different 2nd screenshot would be better.

accidentalrebel

Sorry about that. Changed the second screenshot. :D

FamousAdventurer77

Looks cool, and I LOVE mystery games-- though not what the casual gaming market deems to be mysteries these days...

Judging by the first screenshot it looks like a game made with Ren'Py. (Which is cool in my book, I like visual novels.)
If you want to know the Bible's contents, just watch Lord of the Rings or listen to the last 8 Blind Guardian albums. It's pretty much the same thing.

accidentalrebel

@FamousAdventurer77, thanks. It's my first time hearing of Ren'Py, but yeah. It certainly follows the same style.

Anyways, added a few more shots. A peek at the GUI of the game.

accidentalrebel

Here are some mouse cursors that will be used in the game.

I have also updated the screenshots on the first post to reflect the latest version of the game.

FamousAdventurer77

Looks great! I like that it has a Ren'Py look and feel but is made with AGS.

I like the clue-linking idea too, sort of reminds me of Eagle Eye Mysteries and the note-combining feature in the Blackwell games.
If you want to know the Bible's contents, just watch Lord of the Rings or listen to the last 8 Blind Guardian albums. It's pretty much the same thing.

accidentalrebel

I haven't really played any of the blackwell games but I might look into the note-combining feature you mentioned. Might help me solidify my own clue notebook concept.

Thanks!

straydogstrut

Wow, this looks gorgeous=D Everything shown so far is very cohesive and well thought out.

Well done, I look forward to the end result.

accidentalrebel

Video update! A sneak peek on what's new with the game so far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hj68ygYcqRI

straydogstrut

Very nice! Good work on the historically-accurate conversation options;-)

FamousAdventurer77

Looks really impressive so far-- I'm really digging the combination of Ren'Py and AGS looks and feels in the same game (and the historically accurate convos too. ;) ) Can't wait to see more! Great musical number in the vid too.

accidentalrebel

Here's the trailer for my game. I made it as a sneak peek for those who are interested.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkBV1yjT3Lo&hd=1

Monsieur OUXX

Looks cool, great finish. Let's just hope the gameplay will match the overall quality.

accidentalrebel

Hi guys! Here's the latest update!

Uploaded a demo for the game!

straydogstrut

straydogstrut

Very nice!! The graphics are very easy on the eye and the music paces the game well. I like the animated cursors and character animations especially. There were a couple of small grammatical errors and I was a bit more led by the hand than I would like, but overall it's looking really impressive. Today's the day of the competition deadline I think, were you able to enter?

accidentalrebel

Thank you straydogstrut!

Sorry for the grammatical errors. Will have them fixed on the next update. I need to look for a grammar checker person haha.

What do you mean when you said you were a bit more led by the hand than you would like? Do you mean that there's a lot of handholding that guides the player throughout the demo?

Yes, the deadline is today. The good thing about the contest is that their rules are pretty lax. We can just show a demo on Monday and continue working on the game after that.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk