MAGS July: "Second Chance" (CLOSED)

Started by Atelier, Fri 01/07/2011 19:53:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Atelier

Topic: 'A Second Chance'

This month's guidelines were set by Ben304:

Create a game revolving around somebody getting a second chance to do something they failed to do the first time.

Ideas to help you:

• An unsuccessful murderer fresh from prison sees another opportunity.
• A husband gets a chance at redemption after forgetting last year's anniversary.
• Kasparov sabotages Deep Blue Mk 3 (for all you chess fanboys out there).

Illustrated this month by Ted "Golden Voice" Williams, ex-radio announcer
who after being found homeless was given a second chance on the airwaves!

Ending 31/7/11

What is MAGS?

MAGS is a monthly competition for all amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, or provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favorite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

You may get help for the competition, although you must end up doing something yourself. You should however be warned that it proves difficult to organize a big team within thirty days. You are not allowed to use material already created before this competition. Your game must be completely new! Music and sound is an exception; you can use free material that is available to the public, if you wish. Modules and templates are also allowed. Please do not enter the competition with a rushed entry (a game created last minute). Sure, you can make a game and rush it - but don't do this just to win by default.

Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualise your game following the month's criteria (see top). Second, create your game fueled only by coffee. Third, finally, and most importantly, post your game here, including:

✓ A working download link.
✓ The title of your game.
✓ A suitable screenshot.

At the end of the month, the all-important voting will begin! This period usually lasts fifteen days. Should you win, along with announcing the next month's rules, your name and game will be immortalised in the MAGS Archive. Yet hopefully, at the end of the month, the accomplishment of finishing a game will be your greatest prize. For more information please visit the Official MAGS website.

ZapZap

I might try this, i've got an idea
"Loose ends have a way of strangling you"

ZapZap

Come on, no one else? where's the fun in this then?. I'll try to post a screenshot next week..

vertigoaddict

Well I was thinking this would make a great sequel to 'A simple fix' where Joey would be the main character and the story would revolve around the relationship between him and the guy he met in National Service. But I've got some traveling to do this month, and I think that might affect the quality (with a story that I thought up, I want to put in more attention to detail with character development).

I do agree with Cleanic here, this months' MAGS is golden   ;D it deserves more entries! Give it a cha-- okay too much.

On the other hand it's only been a week, I bet there are quite a number of people who are flowing with ideas and just waiting for the right moment to announce their game xfingers.

Swordofkings128

yeah I started working on something around the 5th or 6th... I don't know if it will be done in time. Been having fun so far. :D

ZapZap

Fine fine, looking forward to see more from that something  :)
you were right vertigo  :-X

ZapZap

Part of the intro
Who are those men?
Where are they?
What incompetent pixel "artist" couldn't manage to fit that bookcase properly into the room? (as if there weren't any other graphical inconsistencies...)

Hopefully answered before August

Ghost

I am in, too. Screenie tomorrow!

In this small town, winning the annual Campus Cake Contest is a big deal, and Janet had always wanted to win. She never did, though. Because of cheating. And then, for one very definite reason, she could no longer take part in the CCC.
The Powers That Be look kindly on us. That's why Janet gets a second chance to prove her recipe to be the best in town...
... five years after her demise.

I started this around the third or so, and even though the "fueled only by coffee" thing becomes a challenge, I think I'll make it to the deadline. Great fun indeed!

Victor6

Quote from: Ghost on Sat 16/07/2011 18:46:35

Ditto the above.

I may have ditto'd the screenshot, but I never mentioned anything about explaining what's going on.

(yes, I know I left the debug buttons on.)

tbh, it's looking dicey on the timing already......

Atelier

Great!

vertigo, fingers crossed you find some time. And nice reveal Cleanic. Sword, don't forget there's always extensions, glad you got something going though.

Quote from: Ghost on Sat 16/07/2011 18:46:35and even though the "fueled only by coffee" thing becomes a challenge

Haha! Please keep us updated on all the deficiencies you get. Anyway a very good sounding and looking entry.

Quote from: Victor6 on Sun 17/07/2011 12:37:45
Quote from: Ghost on Sat 16/07/2011 18:46:35

Ditto the above.

Sweet!

Also, just over half way mark guys.

ZapZap

Wow gorgeous graphics and cool story Ghost, also loving those two inventory items and of course the BITE action hahaha

Swordofkings128

We can posts screens of our game!? Prepare for a post impressionistic adventure about a suicidal middle school dinosaur that will make your cookie(possible) crumble! Probably won't be suitable for everyone though. Also I hope I can finish before the deadline... :'(

*note: This screen is about 2 weeks old, so some stuff has changed. there is only 1 cheese item in the final game, not 2.

Ghost

That's one awesome GOOEY in your game, SwordOf- those verb buttons rock!

hedgefield

Looks like some great entries this month! Looking forward to playing.

Ghost

CHANCE OF THE DEAD (my first MAGS game ever!) is out for you to play!

I took the freedom to create a Completed Game announcement for the game; GO GET IT!

Swordofkings128

Yeah I'm not going to finish in time... :( I'm only a little more than half-way done with my entry! But I think I might actually FINISH a game for once!  ;D

How about some music from the game?

However, Ghost, that looks super cool. Can't wait to play that!

ZapZap

I've been scripting 4 hours cause i thought i could  end the game before tomorrow (1 week holiday) but it was a worthless attempt. I'm a mess. I've done so much i'm still releasing it out of contest, though it'll be in first half august. By the way, I really liked your game Gh0st.

Atelier

n00dles! Thanks Ghost. It's that time of the month again.

vertigo and victor. Looking tidy for the deadline?

vertigoaddict

Oh I haven't been able to do anything, had a lot of traveling (London to Muscat to Kuala Lumpur to Brunei, and then back to KL in about a week) I barely had time for myself so the sequel idea isn't going to be a MAGS.

On the other hand I just recently downloaded Ghost's game, looking forward to other entries so I can vote  :)

Victor6

Quote from: Atelier on Fri 29/07/2011 15:38:59
vertigo and victor. Looking tidy for the deadline?

Unless someone has a heavily modified Deloren I can borrow, no.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk