games depended on time

Started by RumourTheNoir, Fri 01/07/2011 16:08:16

Previous topic - Next topic

RumourTheNoir

Hi there
may be some of you know any small, may be flash games, in which development would be depended on time, for example, there is 30 minutes for aproaching next level, or some time is required for setting some advance, or whatever. actually the problem is, I can't conssentrate at my boring studies, so that would be nice if some step-by-step strategy game would disturb me once in half an hour or so.

so, anyone knows any?)

Tuomas

If you've got a console, try Katamari, or any of the version of it. It's usually about working within time limits and is great, though weird fun with awesome sound tracks.

nihilyst

I think Rumour wanted the opposite of that, not working within small time limits but games in which certain developments proceed slow, so that it's sufficient to check the game every 30 minutes or so.

I think there's plenty of browser games that work like this. I remember playing one myself; you could build up a space fleet and conquer planets or something. Certain upgrades needed hours or days to be researched. Unfortunately, I don't know what it was, and it's certainly not online anymore. But no doubt there's hundreds of games like that on the net.

Babar

In that case... Kingdom of Loathing.
And Fallen London.
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Ghost

Virtual Villagers, then. Pointless as heck, but it fits the requirements- you give orders and have them executed in real time (with the option wo set it x2).
Or, for something that even has some depth, Plant Tycoon.
Site's here:
http://www.ldw.com/plant_tycoon.php

Both aren't free, though. You can download a 60 minute trial, though, and since you only ever check in for a few minutes before turning them off, you should get some worth out of them).

TomatoesInTheHead

There should be adventure games with that technique:
- "Use KEY on DOOR."
- "I'll get to that immediately, check by after 30 minutes to see how it turned out!"

Can be done with AGS! And would fill the "Full length games" category in no time :=

Radiant

Ethan D

Quote from: TomatosInTheHead on Fri 01/07/2011 23:45:10
There should be adventure games with that technique:
- "Use KEY on DOOR."
- "I'll get to that immediately, check by after 30 minutes to see how it turned out!"

Chase scenes would be much more epic. 

"Oh god, he's going to take another step in 3 minutes....  Am I going to die this time?!"

Oh, the suspense!   :o

On a more on-topic note:  I remember playing a game called Utopia(http://utopia-game.com/shared/) back in 7th grade.  It may be something like what you're looking for.  Too time consuming in the long-run for me though.

Atelier

I absolutely hate timed games!

PS. I didn't even read the OP so sorry if OT.

hedgefield

Farmville ;) Mafia Wars, and all of it's clones on Facebook.

If you have an iPhone there's also a few on there that fit the description. Godfinger is pretty fun, and Tiny Tower sorta does the same thing, and there's probably a few more I don't know about.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk