AGS Editor (Version for testing)- Docking Panels

Started by tzachs, Sat 09/07/2011 23:48:50

Previous topic - Next topic

tzachs

I have a new beta version of the AGS Editor for you to test and give feedback.
The layout mechanism has been re-hauled and integrated with DockPanel Suite.

THIS IS BETA. TEST ONLY ON A BACKUP OF YOUR GAME!!!

Here's a short video demonstrating the new capabilities:

View Demo Video!

Among the new features:
* All panels are moveable.
* All panels can be docked to the screen edges, and can be hidden from view (and restored).
* View Room editor and its script at the same time without having to switch tabs.
* A new "Window" menu to control all the windows.
* The layout of the panels is saved when closing AGS (to Layout.xml file), and restored when opening AGS (not including the project's documents)
* New icons for those new windows made by the incredible cat!

Known Issues
* When the script is in floating mode, some of the shortcuts don't work (Ctrl+S, Ctrl+F and Ctrl+H).
* Still, the old limitation of "only one room can be loaded at a time" remains.

Help Needed
Other then testing and feedback, which I would obviously appreciate a lot, there are now several needed icons

Help not needed anymore thanks to the magnificent cat.

Download
Download the demo here!
Mirror here.

mode7

Dualnames

I CAN'T SERIOUSLY SAY ANYTHING WITHOUT CUSSING.
SO @#@@@$%@w%#@$^$# #$%^#$%$# 3$%#$%#^%^%$&, THIS IS SO AWESSSSOOOOOOOOOMMMEEEEEEEE!!!
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Wyz

Oh goodies! It feels like my birthday with all the cool things released lately. Is it possible to rearrange the order of the tabs? If so I'm very happy with this revision! :D
Life is like an adventure without the pixel hunts.

Matti

tzachs

Thanks guys!  :D
And Wyz: Yes.   :)

So, did anyone try it yet?  I'm pretty sure there are tons of bugs in there, so the sooner I know about them, the better I can remember what I did and fix it quickly...

Calin Leafshade

This is great, especially for those of us with large screen resolutions.

Also the more that AGS begins to resemble Visual Studio the better. :D

Will report back on any bugs i find.

monkey0506

I just hope this doesn't improve people's productivity. That would be hoorrrrriibbblle! :-X

Wonkyth

Docking is good.
* WonkE3th gives a gold star:
"But with a ninja on your face, you live longer!"

monkey0506

Wait a second..I can have more than one script open side-by-side now. Holy crap man, do you realize how much time that's gonna save me having to switch tabs?! :o

cianty

ca. 70% completed

monkey0506

Uh, well it's not really a hack. I just docked both scripts to the left side of the editor and then resized them as needed.

It's actually going to be especially useful in designing structures. My current workflow involves copying the structure into the script file, commenting it out, and shifting the comment around a lot. Now I can just leave the header open beside the script and scroll around as needed. Very nice!

cianty

Yeah, I meant "hack" in a more... uhm... liberal meaning. Ah, forget it.  ::)

I too have multiple room scripts and custom scripts open regularly so this is a very very handy feature. Also, copying room coordinates (middle click feature, yay) into the script becomes much easier this way.
ca. 70% completed

arj0n

Great revision!

Question:
Is it possible when I have a room opened undocked/floating and I want to open another room
having that room opened undocked/floating too in stead of this room being opened as docked again?

tzachs

Thank you guys, both for the gold star and the non-hack!  :D

@Calin: My thoughts exactly... After we finish stealingusing all the cool features of Visual Studio, we need to start looking at all the cool Resharper features...

@ArjOn: Nice catch, I didn't realise that was the behavior, but I think that the preferred way of handing this would be simply to allow more than one room to load simultaneously. I'll dig into the code some more, if I'll see it's too complicated I'll implement your suggestion instead.
Yay for the first bug!

UPDATE: Ok, I've looked into the code, and while I didn't find any reason it can't be done, it does look like a lot of work, so I'm not going to get into it now, maybe at a later time... For now I've implemented ArjOn original suggestion and I've uploaded a new version with this fix (in the first post). I also added this issue as a known issue in the first post.

cat

The video looks awesome, I'll have to try this version. Yay for VS- (and Resharper) Features! If you still need icons pm me with specifications what you need (size, colordepth, which icons needed).

monkey0506

Hey, I meant to post the other day when it happened but I got distracted. :=

I was loading up this version of the editor when it crashed. The error was that it apparently tried to create a rectangle with Width 0. If it crops up again I'll try and post the full error message, but it was while the editor was loading. I believe prior to opening a project.

Also, the Properties pane isn't always properly updated. For example, I drew a GUI Slider and then switched to the Events pane, and the only way I could get the Properties pane to show any properties for anything other than the slider was to manually select the item from the dropbox. Otherwise as soon as I clicked on something else the pane would revert back to showing the slider's events. :-\

There's a couple other cases where I noticed some issues with the properties pane, which actually lead me back to using the non-dockable version of the editor, because I'm designing a GUI, and need to use the Properties pane a fair bit..and it just got annoying.

tzachs

Hey monkey_05_06, thanks for reporting!  :)
I think I know what caused the crash, but I'm not sure.
Anyway, if it's what I think it was, then I uploaded a new version that should fix it.
However, if it happens again, then I have no idea and I'll need the full error report.
Also the new uploaded version includes another fix for a crash that can happen when you close AGS.

Now, about the properties pane, maybe I didn't understand you, but I tried what you described and it worked fine for me.
I recorded a video of me doing it, can you please take a look at it and see what did I do different (even better would be your own recording of the bug)?
Thanks..

monkey0506

Did you perhaps try testing the game? I think that's actually when I first started noticing issues is after I first tested the game. I could continue taking a look at it, and if I get any more crashes I'll try and post a full error report. I just got busy/distracted with other things.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk