Reality-On-The-Norm/Alternate Reality: Note to Self, a new RoN game

Started by helios123, Fri 22/07/2011 19:55:16

Previous topic - Next topic

helios123

Greetings to all!

Here is my second RON (and AGS) game. This is a short game with Elandra as the player character.

The game is set a sequel to The Affair of the Weirdo.

Screen shot:

The storyline is as below:

The year is 2199.

The inhabitants of Reality Station are paid a visit by a traveller from distant worlds. The traveller speaks of events leading to great destruction in the near future.

And the only person who can do anything about it happens to be Elandra...

The puzzles are pretty simple and should not be much of a problem (I'm not that good at making difficult to solve puzzles).

Though I have tested the game a few times, it is quite possible that some bugs, UI issues, spelling mistakes, character related issues, etc. might have escaped my notice. Please take some time to play the game and let me know about bugs, if any.

If all is well, then I will request the Powers That Be to upload my game on the RON website.

A big thanks to Dylan Downing (Renegade Implementor) for the superb Space Theme pack (available here).

Comments, criticisms and suggestions are always welcome.

You can download the game here.

Please Note: Since I work on this game in my spare time, it may be some time before I am able to release an update. Also, as I may not be online everyday, there may be some delays in replying to your mails/queries.
That's all for now,
helios123

HandsFree

Nice!
I like it so far, only the game crashed when I tried to enter Chez Lucca (and of course I had not saved).
in room13.asc line 32
Error: FaceCharacter: characters are in different rooms.

helios123

Quote from: HandsFree on Sat 23/07/2011 15:57:23
Nice!
I like it so far, only the game crashed when I tried to enter Chez Lucca (and of course I had not saved).
in room13.asc line 32
Error: FaceCharacter: characters are in different rooms.

Thanks for the bug report. I'll try to reproduce and fix it. If you could please tell me sequence of actions which led to the crash, it would speed up the process.
That's all for now,
helios123

HandsFree

Since I didn't save, I don't know exactly.
Spoiler
I received a master key card, but it didn't show in inventory. I think Chef then said I should follow him to the restaurant, but he didn't go there. So I just went there myself and clicked on the door. Then the game crashed.[\hide]
[close]

Renegade Implementor

I've checked the game out & run into a bit of snag with entering the file path into terminal in Elandra's room.

Spoiler
It doesn't matter which CD I use (blank or Gloomy), after I click either the burn buttons, entering "usr/etc/archive/hdays2175" always brings up an invalid path note.  I've tried adding a slash before usr, a period after hdays2175, nothing seems valid.  It could be the I've interpreted the font wrong but I'm stuck at this point.
[close]

Also, it's great to see someone use the theme pack.  It's given me the inspiration to look at it again and see where I can make improvements.

helios123

Quote from: HandsFree on Sun 24/07/2011 00:36:06
Since I didn't save, I don't know exactly...

I found this happening in one scenario. See below. I have fixed it and uploaded the new exe. Please see the first post for download link.
Spoiler

Elandra, Percival and Chef Lucca are in Skids and Elandra asks Percival for the master keycard.
[close]

Quote from: Renegade Implementor on Sun 24/07/2011 15:16:54
I've checked the game out & run into a bit of snag with entering the file path into terminal in Elandra's room.

This is not a bug. See below:  ;)
Spoiler

The Note in 'Happy Days' entry in the PDA reads (Note the last sentence):
The path is /usr/etc/archive/hdays2175. The audio files are in the music sub-folder and the album art is in aart sub-folder.

Thus, the music files (data) are in /usr/etc/archive/hdays2175/music and the cover art is in /usr/etc/archive/hdays2175/aart.
[close]
That's all for now,
helios123

Renegade Implementor

No, not a bug, just something I missed.  Probably shouldn't play these things when it's close to midnight.  :)

I did notice that whenever "Davy" was facing left, the pixels of his sideburn (which is under his glasses frame) would disappear when he talked & reappear when he isn't talking.  It's most noticeable in Elandra's dream in the "forest".  Is this intentional?

helios123

Quote from: Renegade Implementor on Sun 24/07/2011 20:36:39
I did notice that whenever "Davy" was facing left, the pixels of his sideburn (which is under his glasses frame) would disappear when he talked & reappear when he isn't talking.  It's most noticeable in Elandra's dream in the "forest".  Is this intentional?

No. I didn't modify any of the sprites (I'm not that good at drawing characters. Hence, I avoid editing character sprites as far as possible.). I checked it in the Krysis-style sprites (res-char-nwkrysprites-20110413.zip) available on the RoN website and found that the sideburn is missing in the talking view. I'll add it in my spare time and upload a new version (I hope this is not a major issue).
That's all for now,
helios123

HandsFree

I've started the updated version, but this time I got a different scenario. Now Percival was not in Scids...
Anyway, I was able to finish it now and I enjoyed it very much. I would prefer it if the load button wouldn't take a whole minute before it is available, but otherwise: great job!

BTW not many reactions here. Maybe you should post it in the completed games thread, or is that against forum rules?

helios123

Quote from: HandsFree on Fri 29/07/2011 01:37:24
I've started the updated version, but this time I got a different scenario. Now Percival was not in Scids...
Anyway, I was able to finish it now and I enjoyed it very much. I would prefer it if the load button wouldn't take a whole minute before it is available, but otherwise: great job!

BTW not many reactions here. Maybe you should post it in the completed games thread, or is that against forum rules?

Glad to hear that you enjoyed it. I'll add it in the AGS games page in a few days time, once I'm sure there are no major bugs. As regards to your query concerning Percival,
Spoiler

When Elandra talks to the Baron about keycard, the Baron advises her to go see Percival. Now here, the scripting is done in such a way that after the conversation with Baron, Percival is randomly transported to a room, whenever the player selects any room from the map. Thus, the room in which you encounter Percival will be different each time.
[close]
That's all for now,
helios123

helios123

Quote from: HandsFree on Fri 29/07/2011 01:37:24

It's done now. Here is the link. I have also added it in the games section of the AGS website (link in aforementioned post).
That's all for now,
helios123

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk