So for instance, with AGS 4.0, we may break compatibility with AGS 2.7, while still supporting AGS 3.0.
When we create AGS 5.0, we'll stop supporting AGS 3.0 while supporting 4.0, and so on.
Yes. This leaves a clear way for users to 'upgrade' even if it requires having a few versions of ags to do so.
As far as issues to tackle, let's have a look at Snarky's list again:
* Mac and Linux ports (and Android and iOS if possible, PSP if available)
* Fix DirectDraw/Direct3D issues so AGS runs reliably on Windows
* Support for widescreen and HD resolutions
* Fix music stuttering on room change bug
* Savegames breaking on basically any game update (if possible to fix without major rewrite)
* Other possible high-priority requirements for commercial games, based on input from Wadjet Eye (Dave/Janet), Himalaya (AGD2) and Skygoblin (theo)
To that I would definitely
add the ability to toggle between fullscreen and windowed mode on the fly and to be able to resize the window (stretch to fullscreen).
(Note: I'm not saying that the above is an agreed upon list, I'm just offering a what if scenario below)
As far as priority
, I think it should be a priority to work out the disparities between ddraw and Direct3d first, then tackle usability improvements like savegames and windowed mode (as well as the music issue), perhaps even work in the widescreen and HD stuff BEFORE attacking the ports. The reason being that the compilers will need modification each time we make an update, so stability and usability should get priority consideration. Otherwise, consider the compiler as the initial focus; each time one of these fixes or features are worked in, compiler update. It just makes more sense to me to get a significant amount of work accomplished so the compiler end doesn't need incremental modification. A case can certainly be made for a separate group dedicated to producing a compiler for other platforms that is up to the level of the current official AGS release.
Since Dave has withdrawn his interest in management, I can't really think of anyone who I've worked with and could vouch for that hasn't already refused, so I'll just wait and see what happens. Not saying my endorsement is a big deal, I just don't like to put my name behind someone I can't personally vouch for.