Author Topic: AGS Cryptic  (Read 23924 times)  Share 

Baron

• Mittens Serf
  • AGS Baker
  • Rottwheelers
  • "You are a good daddy, swarm queen..."
    • I can help with AGS tutoring
    •  
    • Best Innovation Award Winner 2011, for the concept and management of SWARMAGS
    •  
    • I can help with voice acting
    •  
  • Baron worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
Re: AGS Cryptic
« Reply #1020 on: Yesterday at 02:22 »
Thoughts so far....

"Any man" could be a common name, like Joe.  "Out of their prime" implies fat, unfit or old (I don't get a "not yet in their prime" vibe).  "Accepting a lack of energy" definitely means subtracting an "e" from something (chemical equation symbol for energy).  "Which saturates their being" probably refers to the E or E's that appear in or throughout the resulting name/word (and must be subtracted).  The most literal phrase to be saturated is "their being" itself, which gives us "thirbing", but that doesn't seem to be on the right track.  So... Joe + old - e = joold :P

Mandle

• NO PIXEL LEFT BEHIND!!!
« Reply #1021 on: Yesterday at 08:41 »
Once again I will bold the parts on the right track and cross out the parts that are off-track:

Thoughts so far....

"Any man" could be a common name, like Joe.  "Out of their prime" implies fat, unfit or old (I don't get a "not yet in their prime" vibe).  "Accepting a lack of energy" definitely means subtracting an "e" from something (chemical equation symbol for energy).  "Which saturates their being" probably refers to the E or E's that appear in or throughout the resulting name/word (and must be subtracted).  The most literal phrase to be saturated is "their being" itself, which gives us "thirbing", but that doesn't seem to be on the right track.  So... Joe + old - e = joold :P

:P
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 10:38 by Mandle »

CaptainD

• I can help with play testing
    •  
    • I can help with story design
    •  
    •  
  • CaptainD worked on a game that won an AGS Award!
« Reply #1022 on: Yesterday at 09:27 »
So joold is both on the right track and off-track?!?! :P

Any man = Male?  Out of their prime = Old?  Since there are so few letters in the answer are we looking for initial letters of five words maybe?  "if they did not first accept" = the order of the letters in the word perhaps?

Mandle

« Reply #1023 on: Yesterday at 10:41 »
Bolded/Crossed out again:

So joold is both on the right track and off-track?!?! :P

Any man = Male?  Out of their prime = Old?  Since there are so few letters in the answer are we looking for initial letters of five words maybe?  "if they did not first accept" = the order of the letters in the word perhaps?

Haha....good catch on the bolded word...Fixed...

So with that hint above I realize it is now possible to brute-force the answer, but this is not necessary. There is a way to solve the puzzle without brute-force and actually finding this method is the real puzzle, not the answer itself, so I hope there won't be too much brute-forcing ;)
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 10:45 by Mandle »

Mandle

« Reply #1024 on: Yesterday at 23:42 »
Very small hint:
A hint at the method of solving the puzzle is hidden in the wording of the puzzle itself...

Baron

• Mittens Serf
  • AGS Baker
  • Rottwheelers
  • "You are a good daddy, swarm queen..."
    • I can help with AGS tutoring
    •  
    • Best Innovation Award Winner 2011, for the concept and management of SWARMAGS
    •  
    •  
  • Baron worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #1025 on: Today at 01:25 »
Any man could be out of their prime if they did not first accept the lack of energy which saturates their being. (5) 

It's like a plot arc: first accept, energy which, prime if, lack of, out of = awioo!

Mandle

« Reply #1026 on: Today at 06:37 »
Any man could be out of their prime if they did not first accept the lack of energy which saturates their being. (5) 

It's like a plot arc: first accept, energy which, prime if, lack of, out of = awioo!

Sorry, but no.

« Reply #1027 on: Today at 12:04 »
the lack of energy which saturates their being could be darkness? :-\

man that's a tough one.

Mandle

« Reply #1028 on: Today at 12:52 »
the lack of energy which saturates their being could be darkness? :-\

Nope...