*Guess the Movie Title*

Started by arj0n, Fri 29/07/2011 13:54:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Snarky

Yeah, the Marx Brothers are pretty funny, though I'm tempted to skip past some of the musical numbers and Harpo's most egregious mime business. I just watched Monkey Business recently, and it struck me that Groucho was really the original Robin Williams, throwing out one-liners, puns, impressions, silly voices and suggestive remarks at machine-gun pace.

Mandle

Quote from: Snarky on Fri 02/12/2016 19:36:56
Groucho was really the original Robin Williams, throwing out one-liners, puns, impressions, silly voices and suggestive remarks at machine-gun pace.

"Hello? Room service? Send up a bigger room!"

Hawkeye also delivers a lot of his one-liners with a Groucho impression in Mash: So yeah, Groucho truly left his own unique stamp on comedy for the ages. The guy was a comedic genius on and off the screen. I've read a book on his life a looooong time ago but I remember being impressed by what a naturally funny human being the guy really was.

Quintaros

Yeah, I was amazed to learn that Groucho's trademark moustache and eyebrow were just grease paint.  I actually liked the music numbers in the one that I saw.  Seemed to me that they were actually skilled musicians and not just playing for laughs.

I won't have a chance to add a new entry for the next 4 days so if anyone else wants the privilige, it's up for grabs.

Mandle

Sure.... I'll give it a go: (just a moment please)

Snarky

Quote from: Quintaros on Fri 02/12/2016 23:30:32I actually liked the music numbers in the one that I saw.  Seemed to me that they were actually skilled musicians and not just playing for laughs.

Oh, they were. They started out as a music act before they got into comedy. I usually like Chico's bits, which are quite lively, but often the films will have some romantic ballad by one of the guest stars, which is always incredibly dull and feels more dated than practically any other aspect.

In some ways the movies are like old variety shows. They mix scenes that drive the story, scenes that are essentially stand-alone sketches, some musical numbers and some dance performances to offer something for every taste.

Quote from: Quintaros on Fri 02/12/2016 23:30:32
Yeah, I was amazed to learn that Groucho's trademark moustache and eyebrow were just grease paint.

If you see a closeup it's pretty obvious that it's not real:

But I know the feeling. I had the same reaction when I found out Charlie Chaplin didn't really have a mustache. "Groucho" was a essentially a clown getup that Julius Marx wore. He actually looked like this (he didn't even wear glasses at the time; later in life he needed them, and also did grow a real mustache in order to resemble his iconic character more):

Similarly, Harpo and Chico wore wigs and funny hats that altered their appearance. Zeppo was the only one who wasn't outrageously disguised in his roles, and out of character all four apparently looked very much alike.

Mandle

Amayirot Akago

Quote from: CaptainDMy suspicion is that an accident, probably caused by a lightning storm and a mad professor, resulted in Amayirot's brain becoming inextricably linked to the databases behind MobyGames and LemonAmiga.

Kumpel

Is this a painting/animation or is it just me?

Mandle

@Amayirot Akago: No not Starman, but what a great movie!

@Kumpel: This is actually a scene from the movie. The movie was pretty low budget so you had to suspend your disbelief quite a bit, especially in moments such as this! But I still love this movie for everything it got right, despite its flaws.

New screenie:

(This character has a more iconic weapon which I will show in the next screenie if needed)

Mandle

[IMGZOOM]http://i64.tinypic.com/fopvmc.jpg[/IMGZOOM]

Here's the weapon mrntioned above in the hands of a different character.

Kumpel

UNDEAD!

Heard of it but never got to see it. Is it cool?

Snarky

jwalt

No guess on the title, and may be off topic, but...

Spoiler

Just noticed that the Forum makes an unfortunate division of "title." I'd guess different resolutions may display the html in different sizes or line lengths, but...
Or, it might be my dirty mind, but... Or, it might be an interesting topic for a new, movie based, thread: "Guess the Movie tit..." Apologies, in advance, if I'm offending anyone.
[close]

selmiak

Quote from: jwalt on Mon 05/12/2016 00:20:48
Spoiler

Just noticed that the Forum makes an unfortunate division of "title." I'd guess different resolutions may display the html in different sizes or line lengths, but...
Or, it might be my dirty mind, but... Or, it might be an interesting topic for a new, movie based, thread: "Guess the Movie tit..." Apologies, in advance, if I'm offending anyone.
[close]

Spoiler
We should just upen a new and real Guess the Movie Tit threat to get rid of these ugly three dots :=
[close]

Mandle

Quote from: Kumpel on Sun 04/12/2016 22:40:43
UNDEAD!

Heard of it but never got to see it. Is it cool?

It's one of my favorite horror/comedy movies...But comedy more along the lines of Shaun Of The Dead, rather than just a silly outright spoof, and doesn't shy away from some pretty intense gore scenes as well. And it also mostly knows when to stick with a serious tone for a while when needed....mostly...

And the ending is KICKASS!!!

Kumpel

Correct Snarky! Should have taken a less obvious scene ;)

Snarky

I've been on a bit of a black-and-white binge lately:

Mandle

The Most Dangerous Game?

Snarky

Danvzare

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk