Started by arj0n, Fri 29/07/2011 13:54:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Quintaros

VampireWombat

nihilyst

Quintaros

Quote from: nihilyst on Fri 16/11/2018 16:10:49
Koyaanisqatsi?

ooh... nihilyst...didn't think anyone would nail it so quickly.

nihilyst

I must have seen that movie, like, twenty times. Love it and the whole soundtrack.

Next:

Snarky

nihilyst

Snarky

Cool. It's had a fair bit of backlash, but I liked it.
Those who haven't seen it: could you tell that that's a dollhouse diorama?

Ben X

I could not!

My guess for your pic: Moulin Rouge.

Snarky

Not a bad guess (this film takes place around the same time), but not correct.

Cassiebsg

I couldn't see it either. But it didn't felt real somehow either. I had to look at the topic at least twice to make sure I was on the movie thread and not on the game one. (laugh)

And just to be on topic: Roulette ?
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

milkanannan

Snarky

Ben X

Gahhhh, I'm sure I recognise that actress but I can't put my finger on it.

A Dangerous Method?

(Cassiebsg - Roulette wasn't set around 1900!)

Snarky

Nope. Maybe this helps?

Ben X

It's not Bram Stoker's Dracula, is it? I was going to guess that before but I just watched it a week ago and don't remember these shots...

Snarky

It totally is.

People have guessed it incorrectly a few times before, but it's never actually been posted in this thread as far as I can tell.

1. is when Dracula and Mina drink absinthe.
2. is Lucy running through the garden during the first storm (as the Demeter is crossing)
3. is just before that, as Mina and Lucy read the letter from Jonathan.

I watched it last night on 4K UltraHD HDR. It looks very good in the format (the movie has its detractors, but I don't think anyone can deny that it looks gorgeous), but honestly you're probably just as well off watching the complete 1080p rip currently available on YouTube (which is where I got these caps).

One thing I noticed this time around is how often the film fudges the timelines. It helps build the dreamlike atmosphere, but is very different from the careful and systematic chronicling of events in the novel.

Ben X

Ahhh, of course. I watched it on Netflix and it looked great. I agree with the critical consensus that the story is overstuffed but the combination of modern cinematography with in-camera effects only (i.e. no digital effects or even compositing), along with the operatic performances, make for a really compelling experience.

Here's the next one:

[imgzoom]https://i.imgur.com/E3To10v.png?1[/imgzoom]

Sidenote: amusingly, my last three pics have all been bearded, long-haired men!

Snarky

Wikipedia does claim that there's no CGI or optical compositing in the film, that it's all in-camera, but that's obviously not true. A lot of it was, but not all of it. If you look at the deleted scenes, you can see that e.g. when the burn mark on Mina's forehead evaporates at the very end, that was added in post. And I'm convinced that some of the Dracula transitions (between monster and human form) are CGI morphs, but in any case they're certainly not done in-camera (again, the deleted scenes show some of them unfinished, with just simple cuts between each makeup version). Also certain shots, like one of the gypsies falling into the gorge, look like definite optical compositing jobs to me.

Is that Gary Cole?

Ben X

Nope, not Gary Cole.

They did some multiple exposures (i.e. running the film through the camera more than once to get different layers of imagery), so maybe that's what's going on with those shots?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk