The fall of European Undersea Facility 02 [FINISHED]

Started by WHAM, Sat 06/08/2011 22:02:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric

>Say, "Emma, for God's sake, I already had amnesia and then I got shot in the head. You may be able to tell from my utter uselessness so far, as well as this macaroni and cheese, that I could use some guidance. Where the heck are the good fuses?"
>Say, "But seriously, cook me some of this mac n' cheese, please."

Ponch

(Suddenly and without warning, Eric takes the common sense approach to this situation. If only every game allowed for this option).  ;)

Eric

I only feel comfortable doing so because I know my prompt won't be the one chosen! Same reason I can do this:

>WHILE EMMA'S BACK IS TURNED, MAKE FAKE NOSE FROM BLUE STICKY TACK
>WEAR FAKE NOSE

Ryan Timothy B

Quote from: Eric on Tue 03/07/2012 04:12:24
I only feel comfortable doing so because I know my prompt won't be the one chosen!
Which is one reason why I find this thread moves very slowly. I suggested we try the key on the locker twice but it was skipped. (it won't likely work, but it's worth the attempt)
Wham, unless you want this to run for the next 5 years, you should consider squeezing a few more of the easier commands into one post.

WHAM

> "Any news, Emma?"

She shakes her head, looking awfully tired.

Emma: "Afraid not, I managed to switch the fuses and got power to some of the panels. As far as I can tell, level 3 is completely flooded and cuts us off from the others. There's also a few fire alarms going off on level 4 and below, so no way to know if anyone is still alive down there. We need to find a way to communicate with them..."

> "Emma, for God's sake, I already had amnesia and then I got shot in the head. You may be able to tell from my utter uselessness so far, as well as this macaroni and cheese, that I could use some guidance. Where the heck are the good fuses?"

Emma: "Yeah, I know... I'm sorry, Andrei, but I'm doing all I can. If I knew where there were spare fuses I would tell you, but Hank was shot and John is either down there with survivors or also dead. You probably don't remember it, but I'm an administrator here, I receive and collate reports and send them out, occasionally filling out requisition forms that always come back denied. When it comes to tech stuff, I'm useless. Hell, I'm having a hard time just reaching a fusebox, at least you can walk!"

Emma gives a deep sigh and rubs her eyes. Now that you think of it, she looks like she might have been crying while you were away.

Emma: "But hey, at least we've got food now, right?"

She manages to smile.

> "But seriously, cook me some of this mac n' cheese, please."

Emma chuckles, recognizing the joke, and opens both of the tin cans, mixing the contents half and half. She hands you one of the cans and uses her fingers to scoop up some of the cold goop from her own.

Emma: "Bon apetit, Andrei. Bring us spoons next time, all right?"

Quote from: Ryan Timothy on Tue 03/07/2012 16:49:07
Which is one reason why I find this thread moves very slowly. I suggested we try the key on the locker twice but it was skipped. (it won't likely work, but it's worth the attempt)
Wham, unless you want this to run for the next 5 years, you should consider squeezing a few more of the easier commands into one post.

The thread is slow moving purposefully, giving players time to give multiple inputs and, as you have done a few times before on your own, voting for the best option and dropping out seemingly poor ones. If you see that the first action is one you feel does not advance the game, feel free to enter a new command or +1 one of the others.
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Ponch

> Okay. First I'm going to try this key on a locker I saw earlier. If that doesn't work. I'm going to the conference room to look for fuses. If I can't find any, we're going to have to try and make working fuses out of the bad ones. Don't give up hope. I'll be back. =)

Ryan Timothy B

Quote from: WHAM on Tue 03/07/2012 18:13:22
The thread is slow moving purposefully, giving players time to give multiple inputs and, as you have done a few times before on your own, voting for the best option and dropping out seemingly poor ones. If you see that the first action is one you feel does not advance the game, feel free to enter a new command or +1 one of the others.
Sorry, I just meant it was slow moving when there were multiple good commands between turns but only one was generally chosen. When a command gets skipped (I imagine everyone else as well thinks this), I start to wonder if you didn't choose it because it was clearly a waste of time. It's hard to know what you've got going on in your head. So I don't know if trying the key on the locker is worthwhile or if it requires a different key - which it likely does, but we can't know this without trying it.

As for making a new fuse, how about just using one of the metal parts on the ground in the electrical room. But the problem I see with this is that the fuse blew for a reason - OR it was sabotaged. If it blew because of an electrical shortage, it's not a good idea to make your own custom fuse that isn't designed to blow above a certain load. Which is one reason I don't want to fix the fuses. There's the chance you could blow the entire electrical housing (Note: I'm not an electrician).

WHAM

Quote from: Ryan Timothy on Tue 03/07/2012 18:43:06
Sorry, I just meant it was slow moving when there were multiple good commands between turns but only one was generally chosen. When a command gets skipped (and I imagine everyone else as well) I start to wonder if you didn't choose it because it was clearly a waste of time. It's hard to know what you've got going on in your head. So I don't know if trying the key on the locker is worthwhile or if it requires a different key - which it likely does, but we can't know this without trying it.

To clarify things, this is roughly how I pick the commands to accept:
1. Is the command the first one posted?
2. Is any other command more popular / upvoted?
3. Is any command other than the previously chosen especially obvious (and timely) or funny

Whether or not a command has a specific function in-game, does not really weigh on the result. It also never matter who posts the commands, but as you can see above, a mediocre or even downright useless command given first is accepted over a better - more useful - command that was given later and did not receive any support. And besides, I try my best to come up with ways the game can respond to even the most nonsensical commands the players might give (remember the sexy-lemur episode?)
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Ponch

The fuses may have blown from a one time surge of power that is no longer coursing through the system. I've made fuses in the field before. They're not ideal but sometimes you have to MacGyver your way to a solution. But I agree that we should check the locker first. So let's do that.  :smiley:

NightHawk

Quote from: Ponch on Tue 03/07/2012 18:26:21
> Okay. First I'm going to try this key on a locker I saw earlier. If that doesn't work. I'm going to the conference room to look for fuses. If I can't find any, we're going to have to try and make working fuses out of the bad ones. Don't give up hope. I'll be back. =)
+1
Just in case it's to long
> try this key on a locker I saw earlier. >Go to the conference room >look for fuses. =)

Ponch

Quote from: NightHawk on Tue 03/07/2012 20:15:09
> try this key on a locker I saw earlier. >Go to the conference room >look for fuses.

Don't forget the "=)". It's very important to keep up morale in a time like this.  :=

Tabata

Quote from: Ponch on Wed 04/07/2012 03:42:04
Don't forget the "=)". It's very important to keep up morale in a time like this.  :=

WHAM

My web-host seems to be down altogether, so no update tonight.

Big GC

Making a game - this should be easy......?

WHAM

> try this key on a locker I saw earlier.

You decide you're not hungry, and beat a hasty retreat, still a bit uncomfortable at the idea of Emma sitting here, alone in the dark, possibly crying...
You march back downstairs, to try to key to the cabinet in the maintenance room. The key does not fit.

> Go to the conference room and look for fuses

You climb back up the stairs and head to the conference room, wondering why you have to run up and down so many goddamn stairs. All this physical effort is beginning to take a toll on you.
The conference room still has the two functional fuses you saw here earlier, powering the lighting as well as one of the air conditioning units.

TomatoesInTheHead

> take fuses, then head back to Emma

Ryan Timothy B

Instead of the conference room on Level 1, I'm assuming Ponch meant level 2.
As there appears to be 2 conference rooms and an office we haven't been to.

I'll post these for a recap (Click to enlarge):
Level 1
Level 2

I say our next step should be to search the Office on Level 2.

WHAM

Quote from: Ryan Timothy on Thu 05/07/2012 20:56:37
As there appears to be 2 conference rooms and an office we haven't been to.

Darn these text-parsers. You tell them "enter room" and they get confused as to what room you meant! I'll try and upgrade the software to better understand command inputs, but it also helps if the players give commands as clear as possible, so that silly old-fashioned parser won't make so many mistakes from now on. ;)

NightHawk

>Take fuses >Go to Emma's room > Replace the top-left fuse that Emma moved and one of the burnt fuses.

Ponch

Yes. This is what I meant.  :smiley:

It's important that we get back to Emma before she starts to cry / runs out of oxygen / eats all the mac-n-cheese.  :wink:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk