Retro-style backgrounds

Started by CaptainD, Thu 18/08/2011 13:22:53

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptainD

Now I'm not looking for suggestions on improving these as such... basically my drawing ability is pretty limited, so I've developed a technique for turning photos into retro style backgrounds, with maybe some simple drawing to supplement / change things.  While I'm quite happy with some of the results, I don't really know if someone playing the games would be put off because they thought the backgrounds were awful!  So basically I'm asking, if you played an adventure game with background graphics like the images below (320x200), would they put you off playing?  Or would you actually like the backgrounds?

Armageddon

While I don't really like this style in games, you nailed that old Tex Murphy style, I'd say tone down the purple a bit and it'll be good. Are you planning on green screening real people into the world? Because that would definitely make it feel like an early 90s adventure game.

NickyNyce

The third picture down is the only one that bothers me, but the rest have a cool feel to them. People will play anything if it's fun, interesting, good story or good graphics, I think it's more about the whole package.

CaptainD

Quote from: Armageddon on Thu 18/08/2011 22:16:30
Are you planning on green screening real people into the world? Because that would definitely make it feel like an early 90s adventure game.

Hmm... that wasn't the plan, but you never know (I'm leaving all sprite design and animation to someone else, it's something I definitely couldn't do a good job on myself!!)

Igor Hardy

They all look very trippy!

No 2 and No 4 make entirely good impression.

In No 1 the edges of the roofs and the cables are way too rugged and look too much like cut outs.

No 3 doesn't really fit with the rest of the style.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk