Talk to Me

Started by Atelier, Tue 23/08/2011 23:39:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Atelier

I don't mind if I don't know you. It just means we have a lot of catching up to do. So how's your life going? I can't complain about mine. What's your first memory? Being scared by thunder. What did you do today? I didn't do much. I never do. And what films do you like? I have too many to name right now. What bands do you like? I've got a recent thing for Ribspreader. Look them up, they're quite good. I'm surprised with myself. Death metal is such a CPU hog though, lol.

The state of modern pop music is atrocious! It's all mechanical, churned out rubbish with throw-away melodies. Having said that, dub-step is really beginning to take over and I must admit I enjoy some of the tracks. When a genre like that becomes popular though, it becomes watered down and you no longer get to the classic creative, meaningful core of it (ie, when it becomes big $$$).

This is definitely not a troll, spam, or a joke. This is the opportunity to be deadly serious and share in a rush of manic perspective. So who wants to talk about anything. But no politics. And no charged religious discussion. Just life. What is yours like?

Grim

My life sucks a lot lately... I'm trying to stay positive for the sake of those I care about, but I just feel really tired all the time.

But that doesn't matter. I've always believed that one day I will become 'someone'... It's just damn hard getting there, sometimes.

Dualnames

I'm lately into playing my already listened albums instead of looking for more, so I'm gonna say Souvlaki by Slowdive is an album I've been listening to a bit, lately. Lately, weirdly enough, I came across some good dubstep, namely by Klaypex, and though i hated the genre, I'm taking some interest over it.

My life is a bit of flying too fast right now. But apart from that, all is well. A friend of mine called me, to say he is dating a chick that has a kid. And well, that has been on my mind a bit.

If I can say that there's a song that sums up my mood lately, it's Men of good fortune by Lou Reed.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Anian

The state of modern pop music is horrible. It seems everything speeds, pop (even though pop itself now not what it used to be), I can't imagine anybody will be listening to 90% of songs made in the last 10 years, while some people today listen to stuff as far as the 50ies. I mean it seems that only really lasting music is coming from video game and movie soundtracks and even there there's a lot of trash. I've been dissappointed by a lot of groups I've been listening to, everybody is selling out in one way or another, either that or they write uninspired and unoriginal garbage...just sad, that is. I guess heroes do die out as you get older.

Oh, and I'm a big fat procrastination that's reminded every day that life is short as I walk along the edge of what my life could be. I'm curently trying to find a job and everytime I am reminded I really don't like what I've chosen for my degree. Love and social life is also a mess. Life is something that happens to other people, as far as I'm concerned.
And the worst thing is I feel badly about myself while my troubles could easily be solved by me trying harder, while other people have real problems in life.

Well that was fun.

An interesting question - how many people actually play ags games (I mean especially the free ones)? Is it enough to actually have sense to make them, or is it more about creating something to you?
I don't want the world, I just want your half

CaptainD

Quote from: anian on Wed 24/08/2011 00:17:23
An interesting question - how many people actually play ags games (I mean especially the free ones)? Is it enough to actually have sense to make them, or is it more about creating something to you?

LOTS of people play AGS games... most new games that get at least a bit of exposure will get a few hundred downloads in the first week or two, and some games a get massive audience:

- A Tale of Two Kingdoms is nearly at 200K downloads (for example - not saying that all games reach that kind of figure by any means)
- I believe I remember Tierra (now AGDI) saying that their first King's Quest remake reached half a million downloads in the first 6 months (maybe less)

Babar

Pop music's utter blandness surprised me a bit...I mean, sure, I don't listen to much radio, or any of those music channels myself, so I'm not over-exposed to it or anything, but I got the newest Weird Al album a while back, and that's usually a good standard: he takes the latest greatests songs, and parodies them (or their style), occasionally coming up with some interesting hits.

This latest album had almost nothing of interest. The only thing I'm still listening to is the polka medley. Even the last album only had a few I remember. Am I getting old, or is it getting crap?

I have not heard of Ribspreader, and am not too fond of Death Metal, and am fairly apathetic about everything nowadays, so I probably won't listen to them. Glad you are enjoying them.

Sorry about your troubles, Grim. I hope everything works out. I too have a wish to become "someone". Perhaps if we help each other out, we can both become the someone we want to be (unless you want to rule the universe, in that case, sorry, that's my....eventual plan).

Anyhow, I'm doing okay myself, I guess. A bit overweight, plenty lazy, been on an uninspired streak for a couple years now, but....at least I have my health...except for the slight weight thing. And...I've been enjoying rerembering Farscape lately (although that means more hours in front of the PC, and even less caring about my weight). Those are good things, right? :P
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

RetroJay

Can I just say.

Stop trying to be 'Someone'.
Everyone is 'Someone'.
How about just being 'You'.
There is no one else that is 'You' so you are 'Someone'.

I went through this years ago. From the age of 18 to 25 I was a Vocalist in a Rock Band, called 'FLASHPOINT'.
We played pubs and clubs and had a large following around the towns we played.

We played once to an audience of 775 people, I know the exact number cos that was the number of tickets we sold for the gig.
Everyone loved us and everyone knew me and my band mates wherever we went in these towns.

What realy pisses me off is I also have no pictures or video to back all this up.

I am now, extremely, close to 40.
No one knows me anymore.
I do not sing in a band anymore.
My long, Jet black, hair has gone, along with my shape and looks.

I now work my ass off, in a job I hate, to make a living, cos I never made it bigtime.

I am STILL 'Someone' though.
I will continue to be 'Someone' until the day I die.

Jay

Baron

I don't listen to music anymore.  I never really did that much, but everything sounds especially like crap now so I just don't bother.

I installed a new front door over the weekend.  The old one let in snow and blew like a train-whistle when the wind hit it just right, so it had to go.  We live in this 120 year old house and there were these massive beams in the walls that supported the old door, but were too narrow for the smallest standard mass-produced (i.e. affordable) door we could get, so I spent hours sawing, chipping and grinding away at them to make enough room.  I think too much cavalier use of power tools over the years might have compromised my hearing (see above).

I'm also on a weight-gaining mission (envious?).  Last winter I got an infection in the membrane around my heart (pericarditis) and it kicked my ass (and heart, obviously).  Perhaps my immune system was weakened by the cold temperatures indoors (see door, above).  While the good news is that my body seems to have at last defeated the incursion and I have been assured that there has been no damage to the heart itself, I have lost 15 pounds since late January (mostly muscle mass, I must suppose).  Since I really wasn't all that big to start with, this has really weighed heavily on me[ :)].  So I suffered the embarrassment of buying weights ("excuse me, sir, do have anything lighter/more girlie?") and have bought 1/4 of a cow for discount protein.  I feel empowered and pathetic all at the same time.  Wish me luck!

My dog also died last week.  She was "the" dog of a lifetime, like an Old Yeller or Henry Jones Jr.'s Indiana.  She helped me chase bears and explore back country.  She snuck into the county fair with me by swimming across a large river, and invariably when I woke up with a massive hangover she would for some reason be curled up in my arms, under the sheets (yes, there are pictures).  Miss you, Sheppers.

Yeah, so that's life these days.  Keep your stick on the ice, boys.  We're all in this together.

Dualnames

Baron, personally for some reason I can't explain, perhaps my life has been too confusing lately, I almost cried reading your post, and we're nothing alike apart from that i need some pounds here and there.

Those are definitely words, to live by though.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Akatosh

Aw, I'm sorry to hear that, Baron. My grandparents' dog died last month, and while I don't have nearly as many happy memories of old Lissie (short for Lieselotte von Saaletal; the breeder had a thing for ridiculous names) as you have of Sheppers, I can imagine what you feel like. Here's to loyal companions.

As for music, I've mostly been listening to weird contemplative stuff lately. You know, stuff by bands with such descriptive names as "The Crüxshadows" or "Auto-Auto" or "Absurd Minds".

It's just that kind of time in my life, I guess. I've finally gotten my studies back on track; I really fucked up early on and had to struggle to get everything back in line. Doesn't help that I've had to grapple with the usual young adult questions in the meantime. Cost me the last vestiges of my faith, but I think I've gotten the important things resolved for now. Oh, and I think some education also happened. Anyway, if everything goes according to plan, I'll graduate with a Bachelor of Science in Business Informatics next semester; I already have a thesis topic and everything . It's a strange thought; I'll have to learn to pretend to be a responsible adult. Heck, I'll have to make future plans.

But yeah, that's it for me. I'm pretty much still the same guy, just older. Christ, I can't believe you people actually put up with me, I used to be a moron. (I still am, but in subtler ways.) Apologies for the text wall.

Atelier

Noo Akatosh, I've always found you funny :)

I'm also trying to gain weight. I'm not exactly a sumo. Got my GCSE results today... two A*s, seven As, one B and a C (guess which are Food Technology and Drama lol) I'm pleased but indifferent ::) I really cannot wait to go to Uni and get a job (eventually). I never really spoke about my age around here because I thought people would treat me differently.

Baron, I'm sorry to hear about your dog. Any dog who sticks by you, when you're out for the count, is a true dog :) Dualnames, I checked out Klaypex and Slowdive - both pretty sweet. And to everybody else, I genuinely enjoyed hearing what you had to say!

So books - any recommendations? (Babar, please don't list your collection) :P

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk