Start saving!

Started by Chicky, Sun 25/09/2011 20:25:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Chicky

This looks like the best thing ever, i wonder how accurate it is? Apparently an October 2011 release at around $200.

http://www.designer-daily.com/inkling-by-wacom-a-revolution-in-digital-art-2-18455?utm_source=scribol&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=scribol

straydogstrut

Oh that looks wonderful!!

I suck at using my little Wacom Bamboo for anything other than slapping paint around. I just can't hold it steady enough to do anything detailed or crisp=D

I'd imagine if this thing converts straight to vector that your line art would have to be quite clean, but then I could see myself sketching roughly first with a pencil, refining the lines as I usually do, then turning on the Inkling and inking it properly. Either that or use the bitmap mode instead.

I'm liking the look of this A LOT!

Darth Mandarb

I was pumped to see they were finally releasing this! I love tablets but there's nothing like drawing on paper for me (will make character animations for adventure games sooooo much easier!)

I was finally about the pull the trigger and get the Cintiq when I started hearing rumors about the Inkling... so glad I didn't spend all that money when this is only 200USD.  I figure even if it only works 1/2 as good as it looks like it does it's still gonna be great.  And the best part is if I don't like and it doesn't do what I want, it's not 3,000 dollars down the drain!

I'll be getting this as soon as it's available!

Anian

On one hand, I already have a Bamboo and also I am very messy when drawing, on the other hand there's nothing like pencil on paper resistance and interaction. I'll think I'll wait for user reviews but it looks cool.
I don't want the world, I just want your half

Snarky

The great thing about drawing tablets is Undo, so you can try a line several times until you get it right. You can't do that on paper. And of course different brushes and all that, which you can but not with this device. I really don't see the benefit of this over a scanner, unless you're planning on doing a lot of vector-based editing of your art.

InCreator

I'm spending money on any wacomish stuff only after they get rid of pressure-sensitve pen and replace with something that truly feels natural. Right now, it very much feels like drawing onto cave wall with a stick.

Intuos 4 wireless I have is a mint condition paper weight/dust collector right now  >:(
I admit, it's absolutely awesome for 3D sculpting, like with Zbrush or Autodesk Mudbox, but not so much for drawing since you have to watch both screen and your hand and I never got the feel of it...  Pity I have no use for 3d scultping right now!

Anian

Yeah, I really thought I would be able draw over some of the stuff I drew on paper, by tracing over it on the tablet, but that's impossible.

Quote from: Snarky on Sun 25/09/2011 22:07:45
The great thing about drawing tablets is Undo, so you can try a line several times until you get it right. You can't do that on paper. And of course different brushes and all that, which you can but not with this device. I really don't see the benefit of this over a scanner, unless you're planning on doing a lot of vector-based editing of your art.
As far as I got it, the thing has a button on it which when pressed makes a new layer in your file (ai, psd...)so that's one way of correcting lines on the fly.
I don't want the world, I just want your half

Snarky

Won't really make a difference to the paper you're drawing on, though.

Peder 🚀

This is afterall purely meant for sketching on the go so erasing and such is really not an issue.
It's not like as if it could replace a tablet fully anyway :P.

Looks neat, I might get one eventually if it turns out to be any good.

Igor Hardy

When I've noticed this thread I thought it's "Start saving! The 2nd wave of the financial crisis has come!"

Fortunately it's a discussion about happy things to spend money on and I feel safe again. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk