AGS Draconian Edition 3.4.11 r10 (December 31, 2017)

Started by Alan v.Drake, Mon 26/09/2011 01:24:41

Previous topic - Next topic

subspark

QuoteWell, seems you're lucky, it was just necessary to add a "=100" to agsdefns.sh, otherwise I would never have done it, ahah.
Oh good. I'm glad it worked. This means Draconian AGS is now still compatible with previous incarnations which I thought was important.

And thanks for the syntax. My region probs have dissolved.  ;)

Alan v.Drake

Where's my feedback ? Does everything actually work just fine ?

Previous feature suggestions will be evaluated with unrelenting slow pace, as usual.

By the way, if one of you could help me by implementing d3d shaders I sure would not mind.

- Alan

xerca

When I skip a cutscene, it plays all the sound effects that would be played in the cutscene at the same time. It is really annoying. I usually compile the game with vanilla AGS after finishing the work as a workaround. But I think it could be something to be fixed.

Alan v.Drake

Quote from: xerca on Fri 06/04/2012 20:56:51
When I skip a cutscene, it plays all the sound effects that would be played in the cutscene at the same time. It is really annoying. I usually compile the game with vanilla AGS after finishing the work as a workaround. But I think it could be something to be fixed.

Fixed. AGS Draconian r4

While debugging I happened to find a problem with audio channels, I can't say if it was by design, but assigning any value other than 0 to MaxChannelss in the editor under audio types effectively decreases the channels you can  (safely) use , let's do a few examples:

Type "Music" MaxChannels 1 (7 Channels Available)
Type "Ambient Sound" MaxChannels 3 (4 Channels Available)
Type "Footsteps" MaxChannels 2 (2 Channels Available)
Type "Sound" MaxChannels 0 (CAN PLAY ONLY TWO SOUNDS AT ONCE!)
Despite the inability to play more than two sounds there should not be grave errors.

Now let's see another more devious example:

Type "Music" MaxChannels 1 (7 Channels Available)
Type "Ambient Sound" MaxChannels 3 (4 Channels Available)
Type "Footsteps" MaxChannels 2 (2 Channels Available)
Type "Sound" MaxChannels 7 (You would think "that should do the trick".  No, you're begging for trouble)
Exceeding the available channels will only lead to sudden errors whenever you least expect it, expecially when skipping cutscenes!

- Alan

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Alan:  I'm not sure if anyone's asked you this in this thread yet, and it's something I know Calin has mentioned elsewhere, but could you possibly make code folding optional via the preferences menu?  I absolutely cannot stand it;  I mean I literally want to punch my monitor whenever I go up to select a function and it somehow clicks just a micron to the left and closes the entire thing.

I'm also hoping to see this done for the official beta as it's currently driving me up a wall.

Thank you!

Alan v.Drake

Quote from: ProgZmax on Sun 08/04/2012 08:02:10
Alan:  I'm not sure if anyone's asked you this in this thread yet, and it's something I know Calin has mentioned elsewhere, but could you possibly make code folding optional via the preferences menu?  I absolutely cannot stand it;  I mean I literally want to punch my monitor whenever I go up to select a function and it somehow clicks just a micron to the left and closes the entire thing.

I'm also hoping to see this done for the official beta as it's currently driving me up a wall.

Thank you!

Just recompile the source without the folding, or overwrite AGS.Control.dll with an older one.
I never had a problem, if I want to select a line or more I just click and drag on the number area and it's done, or right to left if I'm highlighting from the bottom-up.

Or, you know... you could make code folding optional via the preferences menu and give me the code so I can put it inside :)

- Alan

subspark

QuoteWhere's my feedback ? Does everything actually work just fine ?
No feedback was necessary. It worked as was portended.

Thanks again.

suicidal pencil

AGS vomited an error at me while I was using (a slightly older) version of your editor. Details are here: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=45713.0

Alan v.Drake

Quote from: suicidal pencil on Mon 09/04/2012 23:08:20
AGS vomited an error at me while I was using (a slightly older) version of your editor. Details are here: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=45713.0

I hope you had a backup, that looks dangerously like the usual did-not-save-properly ags editor problem :(
Make a backup of Game.agf (it'an xml file where your game is saved, the editor is telling you there's somthing wrong with it, so problably it's truncated at the end, bad save?) and rename Game.agf.bak. If you're lucky it will work.
If not you'll have to carve recreate the project and copy the pieces from the old agf to the newer.

- Alan

Ryan Timothy B

Hey Alan, I'm only going to post this in this thread since it should theoretically be a super easy function to add to your current version of the AGS editor. And should have been added to the current AGS editor years ago.

The IsInteractionAvailable is quite basic. It only works for X and Y with the mouse Mode.
IsInteractionAvailable(int x, int y, int mode)

Now there is:  InventoryItem.IsInteractionAvailable(CursorMode)

Would you be interested in adding an extender function that works for the rest:
Character.IsInteractionAvailable(CursorMode)
Object.IsInteractionAvailable(CursorMode)
Hotspot.IsInteractionAvailable(CursorMode)

monkey0506

Ryan. That needs to be added to the engine, not the editor. I say that simply because unless the character/object/hotspot is the currently exposed item at its own coordinates (which are impossible to determine for hotspots unless the WalkToX and WalkToY have been expressly set) then the only function we have to test if an interaction exists for the item is IsInteractionAvailable, which as you note, isn't sufficient.

Clearly the engine is already doing this after some fashion, we just need an exposed function to check it (meaning that an engine plugin would be sufficient, although ridiculous just for such a simple effort).

Oh, and I know Drake has done some stuff with the engine of course, just making a point about where it would need to be added (it would then also need to be included in the editor's built-in headers or else it wouldn't autocomplete :P).

P.S. You're making me really want to start digging into the engine code again now (been working on structuring some other things first).

Alan v.Drake

Done.
To celebrate today's forum renewals I'm releasing this build, thoroughly UNtested.

AGS Draconian r5 beta (April 13, 2012) DOWNLOAD
  • Character.ChangeRoom(int room, int x, int y, int loop) so no one will have to resort to dirty hacks to set the proper direction, i suggest to define an enum for directions.
  • Object/Hotspot/Character.IsInteractionAvailable(CursorMode) to make Ryan happy

Tell me if something doesn't work.

- Alan

Ryan Timothy B

Yes Monkey, I realize it's on the engine side. This thread was also moved into Editor Development sub-forum after my hopeful suggestion.
I only suggested it to Alan because he's been adding some engine stuff and this should be super trivial compared to the other stuff he has added. Also because there have been suggestions of this becoming the new default AGS.

Quote from: Alan v.Drake on Fri 13/04/2012 00:38:14
  • Object/Hotspot/Character.IsInteractionAvailable(CursorMode) to make Ryan happy
You've indeed made me happy--and I imagine lots of other people as well. ;)  Thanks!  I'll give it a run through soon and then get everyone in the JoI team to start using it.

DCS78

character.ChangeRoom(302);

Output windows says:
'[' expected.

Dualnames

Quote from: DCS78 on Sat 14/04/2012 23:17:43
character.ChangeRoom(302);

Output windows says:
'[' expected.

character[ID HERE].ChangeRoom(302);

For the player character:
player.ChangeRoom(302);
or
character[player.ID].ChangeRoom(302);
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

DCS78

subspark

Why now AGS you hate of me? -_-

I received this error since Draconian r1 when interacting with NULL:

Note: This wouldn't occur in Vanilla.

And now I get the this error when running the game in r5:

Any clues that might help?

Alan v.Drake

Quote from: subspark on Thu 19/04/2012 02:51:54
I received this error since Draconian r1 when interacting with NULL:
I'm afraid I'll need to look at the code.

Quote from: subspark on Thu 19/04/2012 02:51:54
And now I get the this error when running the game in r5:

Any clues that might help?

For this one a "Rebuild all files" should do the trick. It's due to ChangeRoom accepting up to 4 parameters, the files has to be rebuilt so the editor can update the calls to the function.

- Alan

subspark

QuoteI'm afraid I'll need to look at the code.
No sweat. I PM'd you what you're after.
Ta!

Alan v.Drake

Worry not guys, subspark's  problem was a scripting issue.

I was wondering, what should be the behaviour when someone uses ChangeRoom setting a loop that doesn't exist ? Should I leave it as it is now that if the loop is invalid ags picks the first (maybe) available or just do nothing instead ?

- Alan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk