AGS Draconian Edition 3.4.11 r10 (December 31, 2017)

Started by Alan v.Drake, Mon 26/09/2011 01:24:41

Previous topic - Next topic

tzachs

That is a very good question. I think there needs to be a decision regarding how AGS handles run time errors caused by the user, and then add it to the guidelines document (when such a document exists), so that all developers could keep consistent engine behavior.

In my view, if in debug mode, then the game should crash with an appropriate error message. If not in debug, then write the error to file (like the 'sprite not disposed' error) and try to overcome it (in your scenario, the first loop if one exists or nothing).

Alan v.Drake

Quote from: tzachs on Fri 20/04/2012 07:33:20
That is a very good question. I think there needs to be a decision regarding how AGS handles run time errors caused by the user, and then add it to the guidelines document (when such a document exists), so that all developers could keep consistent engine behavior.

In my view, if in debug mode, then the game should crash with an appropriate error message. If not in debug, then write the error to file (like the 'sprite not disposed' error) and try to overcome it (in your scenario, the first loop if one exists or nothing).

Well, I wouldn't make it crash for ChangeRoom  in debug mode, because it can be used for any character and there is no reason for every one of them to have all the loops, but for other cases yeah.

p.s: How's your editor with docking panel version coming up ? I remember trying it  while ago and the title of panels were unreadable when unfocused.

- Alan

tzachs

Quote from: Alan v.Drake on Fri 20/04/2012 09:32:31
Well, I wouldn't make it crash for ChangeRoom  in debug mode, because it can be used for any character and there is no reason for every one of them to have all the loops, but for other cases yeah.
Yeah, but if someone wrote cEvilDoctor.ChangeRoom(..., evilDoctorLoop) and there is no evilDoctorLoop, you'd want the user to know that he made a mistake. If you don't crash on debug and just do nothing, he might not realize why his evil doctor doesn't animate properly. He'll figure out eventually that evilDoctorLoop should be 4 and not 5, but you can save him some head scratching by showing him the error.

p.s: How's your editor with docking panel version coming up ? I remember trying it  while ago and the title of panels were unreadable when unfocused.
I've worked with it on my last game (9 months in) and fixed all the bugs I found. Nobody reported the bug you found and I don't remember seeing it. I just re-checked and it looks fine to me. If you can get latest from svn, and check if you still have this issue so that I could fix it (send me a screenshot), I'd appreciate it.

And while we're on the subject, do you intend to check in your changes to the codebase? It would be a shame if you don't...

Alan v.Drake

Quote from: tzachs on Sat 21/04/2012 22:01:49
Yeah, but if someone wrote cEvilDoctor.ChangeRoom(..., evilDoctorLoop) and there is no evilDoctorLoop, you'd want the user to know that he made a mistake. If you don't crash on debug and just do nothing, he might not realize why his evil doctor doesn't animate properly. He'll figure out eventually that evilDoctorLoop should be 4 and not 5, but you can save him some head scratching by showing him the error.

Yeah, but that  loop parameter is only for sake of direction, FaceLocation doesn't explode if you try to turn the character to a direction for which it doesn't have a loop. The point was to save one the  trouble of running two commands, thus my reticence to throw errors.
I could enforce the use of an enum for directions (eDirectionUp,eDirectionLeft...), but then there could be people doing weird custom things.
Or screw them ? :D

I've worked with it on my last game (9 months in) and fixed all the bugs I found. Nobody reported the bug you found and I don't remember seeing it. I just re-checked and it looks fine to me. If you can get latest from svn, and check if you still have this issue so that I could fix it (send me a screenshot), I'd appreciate it.

Gotta be the theme I'm using then.
But now that I tried again I noticed another problem, scintilla seems to occasionally break (no formatting, no lines and with an asterisk even though it's not modified) when moving the pane onto different places, did that ever happen to you ?

And while we're on the subject, do you intend to check in your changes to the codebase? It would be a shame if you don't...

Do you mean the official codebase or mine own on github ? I wanted to sort out this little dilemma about changeroom before committing.

- Alan

tzachs

Quote from: Alan v.Drake on Sun 22/04/2012 09:30:50
I could enforce the use of an enum for directions (eDirectionUp,eDirectionLeft...), but then there could be people doing weird custom things.
Or screw them ? :D
An enum will make the function more intuitive, so I vote for that. Whoever wants to do weird custom things could just use two commands.

But now that I tried again I noticed another problem, scintilla seems to occasionally break (no formatting, no lines and with an asterisk even though it's not modified) when moving the pane onto different places, did that ever happen to you ?
Was that with the latest version? It did happen to me, but I thought I fixed it...

Do you mean the official codebase or mine own on github ? I wanted to sort out this little dilemma about changeroom before committing.
The official codebase. I don't see the reason for having another repository.

Alan v.Drake

An enum will make the function more intuitive, so I vote for that. Whoever wants to do weird custom things could just use two commands.
Ok then, it shall be done.

Was that with the latest version? It did happen to me, but I thought I fixed it...
Yes, it's the latest (revision 73). I didn't notice until I changed colors.

The official codebase. I don't see the reason for having another repository.
Ok, let's do it. But someone should decide what to merge and what not to. Stuff like the dark theme and my test filters might not be to everyone's tastes. :)

- Alan

Knox

Could the dark theme be a checkbox you select? Maybe then we could have different color schemes that users can save, and load?
--All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

Icey

I was wondering are you able to increase the obj's per count to 60 instead of 40?

Alan v.Drake

Quote from: General_Knox on Wed 25/04/2012 00:03:41
Could the dark theme be a checkbox you select? Maybe then we could have different color schemes that users can save, and load?
Yes but I can't be arsed.

Quote from: Insane-Icey on Wed 25/04/2012 04:56:14
I was wondering are you able to increase the obj's per count to 60 instead of 40?
Change MAX_INIT_SPR to 60 inside acroom.h and recompile.

- Alan

subspark

Alan,

This graphical issue has been a hindrance since alpha channel support was first implemented into AGS back in v2.8.
It's never worked correctly and I wanted to point you to it so that perhaps you'd be the fellow to cook up a remedy:

The second set of inventory icons are what we expect AGS to be rendering on the screen in front of the GUI layer.
The first set is how they've appeared to date.

Knox

QuoteYes but I can't be arsed.

Lol! haha ok.

For those of use that cant change the editor, do you think that increasing the object limit to 80 or 100 (like icy asked) could be implemented in your next release?

Pwetty please!! :)

Icey

Yes please do :D

I'm just way to nervous to play around with the source cause I feel like I might mess something up or it might mess my game up. But I could just try it on the demo game, hummm....

Alan v.Drake

@subspark: I don't know about the alpha issue on the inventory. Maybe one day I'll look into it.

@icey,knox: I've written what to change, go and compile it already ! You can't break anything just by recompiling the engine, the more people learn how to compile the damn thing the better.

- Alan

tzachs

Quote from: Alan v.Drake on Tue 24/04/2012 07:47:48
Ok, let's do it. But someone should decide what to merge and what not to. Stuff like the dark theme and my test filters might not be to everyone's tastes. :)

Actually I was thinking of an xml file where you can set the theme yourself. This way people could create and share themes. But since you don't have the time/energy (I know that feeling too well  ;)) to make it optional, it's better to leave it out. As for the filters, they are optional, right? If so, I see no reason to not check them in.

Knox

Wow ok its that easy? NICE!

Ill check out the tutorials then on how to do all that.  :)

subspark

QuoteI don't know about the alpha issue on the inventory. Maybe one day I'll look into it.
Ta mate.

monkey0506

The alpha inventory issue can be resolved without modifying anything, you just have to use the right combination of GUI and control settings...I'm pretty sure that the InvWindow has simply to be on a GUI with a BackgroundGraphic that has alpha transparency. That's more an quirky annoyance than an actual bug though.

subspark

You're referring to this monkey?
Yeah. No go. I've tried everything. It would seem this quirk has just slipped off the radar. [Sigh] I really don't know what to do about this.
>:(

Edit: Another victim of the same bug.

DoorKnobHandle

We have tried giving the GUI that the inventory window is on a background graphic that uses an alpha channel, to no avail as subspark says. We're really out of ideas and it's quite annoying. Would be awesome if the Draconian Edition would fix this very annoying problem!

sonneveld

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk