AGS Draconian Edition 3.4.11 r10 (December 31, 2017)

Started by Alan v.Drake, Mon 26/09/2011 01:24:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan v.Drake

Do a Rebuild all files.
Do a Rebuild all files.

EDIT: Yeah I should probably update this version, though

EDIT2: I'll prepare something for christmas.

- Alan

Tamanegi

Don't Look! MAGS 12-2010
Mediocre Expectations Current development blog

SebasC

I am wondering why no one ever tried implementing a character and background pixel editor (Something like in SCIstudio 3)

Babar

Probably because there are a lot better tools out there for such stuff (GraphicsGale, Photoshop, Blender, etc. check the thread in Critics Lounge for a full list) than anything AGS could have that could cover all the different styles and resolutions that AGS allows.
If AGS was a tool with some fixed sprite dimension limits, and restricted palette, that would necessitate only one style of art then a specific tool MIGHT have made sense.
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Crimson Wizard

I believe that each tool should follow each own purpose. AGS is not a graphical editor, and I can't think of reason to make it one.
Don't know about others, me, personally, rarely even used AGS to make walkable areas and other regions, although AGS provides means to do so. I found it much simplier to create region masks in separate graphics editor.

deee

Great work!
I especially love fixed movement stuttering between 60% and 80% zoom and the alpha blending improvements.

Only, there are some problems preventing me from using your edition:
- drawing character shadows onto the background doesn't properly work, using DrawImage with a transparency below 100% draws the sprite fully opaque for me.
- heavy fps drops, around 30 fps instead of 40 of the original version, i tried messing around with VSync, Fullscreen and Windowed mode, nothing really helps.

So, i would greatly appreciate it if you could upload the compiled acwin.exe with only the fixed zoom again, i checked the thread http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=44406.msg592756#msg592756 , but the file is no longer available.

Alan v.Drake

Quote from: deee on Fri 23/11/2012 13:15:41
Only, there are some problems preventing me from using your edition:
- drawing character shadows onto the background doesn't properly work, using DrawImage with a transparency below 100% draws the sprite fully opaque for me.
- heavy fps drops, around 30 fps instead of 40 of the original version, i tried messing around with VSync, Fullscreen and Windowed mode, nothing really helps.

Hmmm, the fps loss might be due to Calin's blend thing (if you're using DrawingSurface), I remember people saying that the plugin ran better than the embedded changes.
I suggest you try to build acwin yourself from the source, you can restore the normal Draw function on Engine/ac.cpp

1) Remove this block:
10011: // Calin's true alpha blending
10156: // Calin's true alpha blending - end

2) Restore the one that begins with // OLD VERSION
3) Compile

About alpha on background issue, if it works on vanilla then it's also caused by the blend thing... IIRC someone had found the same problem and maybe made a fix, check the last pages of this thread.

I'm working on other things now, but I'll prepare a new build for Christmas.
If you can't manage to compile it, then contact me. BUT TRY IT FIRST.

- Alan

Yeppoh

The problem that you're encountering, deee, is because of the way the engine threats the backgrounds as having no alpha channel. So when the Calin's true alpha blending is used in the engine it tries to get the alpha of the background, but somehow gets a null alpha and messes up the alpha calculation of the blending function.

I did a cheap fix in my build of the Drakonian engine for the DynamicSprite.CreateFromBackground(). But it still doesn't properly work when using Room.GetDrawingSurfaceForBackground().

deee

Thanks a lot for your help, Alan and Nefasto. I already feared I would have to put my dirty hands on the source code ;)

So after a long night of downloading, installing and researching everything (I never worked with C++), there are only 3 errors left when trying to compile the original Draconian Source:
1>.\acchars.cpp(593) : error C2065: 'new_room_loop' : undeclared identifier
1>.\AC.CPP(20303) : error C2660: 'Character_ChangeRoom' : function does not take 5 arguments
1>.\AC.CPP(20313) : error C2660: 'Character_ChangeRoom' : function does not take 5 arguments

I really tried :D

Thanks

Alan v.Drake

Oh... those errors makes me wonder if I remembered to commit the last changes.

EDIT: There you go, latest version without Calin's alpha. ----
EDIT2: Ops, fixed: DOWNLOAD

- Alan

deee

Wonderful. But seems like it still does not like me ;)

When trying to start the editor, there is an error: "System.IO.FileNotFoundException: The File or Assembly "AGS.Types, Version*3.2.1.111, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null" could not be found..."
Replacing only acwin.exe in the vanilla directory produces this error when trying to start the game from the editor:
"Script link failed: Runtime error: unresolved import 'Region::Tint^4'".
I got this error before when trying to run a compiled acwin of your edition where i just removed the parts of code that produced the Character_ChangeRoom errors.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: deee on Thu 29/11/2012 09:32:50
When trying to start the editor, there is an error: "System.IO.FileNotFoundException: The File or Assembly "AGS.Types, Version*3.2.1.111, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null" could not be found..."
Try to "Rebuild All" Solution (not just Editor project). Or, rebuild every project in solution manually (right-click, Rebuild), starting with AGS.Types.

Quote from: deee on Thu 29/11/2012 09:32:50
Replacing only acwin.exe in the vanilla directory produces this error when trying to start the game from the editor:
It's not a good idea to mix old Engine and new Editor. Since Alan changed some script functions there they are not compatible anymore.

Alan v.Drake

You can't mix this acwin with vanilla editor.

The editor error, well, looks like I forgot to include a file ahah. Just paste over the r6 version and it should be ok.

EDIT: I've reuploaded the archive with the missing dlls

- Alan

deee

So sexy!
Alan, you are the greatest :D
No flickering with ScaleMoveSpeed and all shadows perfectly displayed @40 FPS.
Draconian edition is back on my screen :)

RetroJay

Hi Alan v.Drake.

I love what you have done. However... One thing is bugging the hell out of me.

No matter how I try, I can't set the default volume of a sound file under its property pane.
I have tried 0-100 and the sound always plays at full volume.

Please help.

Yours.
Jay.

Alan v.Drake

Crimson Wizard

I see this edition is pretty popular. What would community think if we copy some or all of its features into the https://github.com/adventuregamestudio/ags (the development version of engine)?

Here are several fixes to the engine made, that are must have. What about other things, like new script function(s)? Which are eligible to be kept with "main" AGS, which aren't?
I was hoping people of the community would discuss this eventually, but I see no movement in this direction :(. Point me to the thread, if I am wrong.

Alan, I know I had suggested you start copying your changes to github quite a some time ago, but later I got too carried away with work, and they were kept there in separate branches. Now, when we have a pretty much "official" Linux port, used for Gemini Rue release, and engine seem to be pretty stable (again), it could be the time to finish this. Are you still willing to implement your changes there?
Since our engine code was modified, I can assist with advice, if needed.
If this operation would be successful, you may continue adding more things right there, I guess.

miguel

QuoteI was hoping people of the community would discuss this eventually, but I see no movement in this direction :(

Crimson, like me there must be a lot of people here that wish for improvements in AGS and admire all the stuff you and others are working on.
The thing is, and I feel I speak for many of us, all we can do is follow your topics and eventually say that you're doing a great job. My knowledge and the knowledge of most of us in the community is very limited regarding coding engines and editors.
I'm afraid that the original nature of AGS being a one-man-thing for everybody gathered a lot of "lazy" game makers regarding true programming, while other software (harder to master) brought more skilful coders.

This said, I wish you guys (the ones that actually work on improving AGS) to be friends and enjoy doing it.
I know this may sound off topic but I follow all the dev topics here although I don't understand most, and truly admire what you are doing.
Working on a RON game!!!!!

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: miguel on Wed 13/02/2013 12:10:20
The thing is, and I feel I speak for many of us, all we can do is follow your topics and eventually say that you're doing a great job. My knowledge and the knowledge of most of us in the community is very limited regarding coding engines and editors.
No, I am not speaking about coding. I am speaking about features.
I may be an experienced programmer, but I am not experienced game maker (unfortunately), hence it may be difficult for me sometimes to predict the results of introducing, changing or removing a feature to the game-making tool. Will it be convenient for people, or not? Is that is something they are going to use much, or it simply does not worth the development time? And so forth. I can't answer on these questions, my works making games with AGS is limited. I'd rather listen to people who spent years making games, and better see flaws or lack of features.

Alan v.Drake

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Tue 12/02/2013 22:04:54

[...] Are you still willing to implement your changes there? [...]

Of course I am, I'm not coding much lately because I take on too many projects and I have a huge chunk of graphics to draw.
I want to switch using the refactory as a base, but by reading the github notifications I get the impression I should wait some more :P

In any case what drives me to code is "need", until I have a need to code I'll probably postpone until brighter times, heh.

By they here's a fixed acwin.exe for the DefaultVolume issue mentioned up there: DOWNLOAD

- Alan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk