AGS Draconian Edition 3.4.11 r10 (December 31, 2017)

Started by Alan v.Drake, Mon 26/09/2011 01:24:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurok

Just fork mainline AGS again (3.4.0) and apply your patches.

I hope that's what you plan to do, at least.

I thought most of your stuff made it in.
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

Crimson Wizard

Several posts above I made a table of changes that did not make to the official version:
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=44502.msg636515126#msg636515126
It may be a bit outdated though...

As I remember, some of these did not make it mainly because I could not understand which of your changes are relevant. Also, some code changes looked confusing, and I wanted to research them... but never did. (I really hoped you reappear and explain what they mean :))

Alan v.Drake

Quote from: Gurok on Mon 26/09/2016 13:07:26
Just fork mainline AGS again (3.4.0) and apply your patches.

I hope that's what you plan to do, at least.

I thought most of your stuff made it in.

That's exactly what I'm doing. I'm glad that most of the stuff made it to the main repo, now I just need throw in the few remaining extras and I'm good to go.
I'd like first to rewrite and push a few bugfixes that didn't make it, with CW's help.

@CW don't worry, I'm separating the relevant pieces of code, so i can make issues and pull requests

- Alan

Snarky

Could we please not fork the official version but instead try to get the improvements incorporated into it from the get-go?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Snarky on Fri 30/09/2016 08:59:12
Could we please not fork the official version but instead try to get the improvements incorporated into it from the get-go?
If you are refering to Gurok's advice to "fork" AGS, in git's terminology "fork" means to make a clone of central repository for your private use.
After new code is added to the private fork, it is then merged back to central one through "pull (or merge) request".

Spoiler

[close]

Alan v.Drake

Quote from: Snarky on Fri 30/09/2016 08:59:12

Approved and useful changes will obviously make into the main repository, but my custom branch may diverge in some points because, well... the only reason it exists is to serve Wretcher's needs. There may be experimental and unsupported features along the road.

Yes I haven't given up yet!

- Alan

Alan v.Drake

AGS Draconian r8 (October 02, 2016) DOWNLOAD

Get it while it's hot

- Alan

Alan v.Drake

AGS Draconian 3.4.1 r9 (October 16, 2016) DOWNLOAD

New experimental Blend Modes !
You can try out the new BlendMode feature for characters, objects, screen overlays and GUIs.

Currently available blenders (D3D and SW):
- Add
- Darken
- Lighten
- Multiply
- Screen
- Subtract
- Esclusion
- Burn
- Dodge

Being experimental, the implementation is not perfect, the alpha may not look too good and stuff like that.

HOW: cEgo.BlendMode = eBlendModeScreen;

- Alan

dbuske

Do I just put cCharlie.BlendMode = eBlendModeAdd; into the properties menu?
How about LinearLight
What if your blessings come through raindrops
What if your healing comes through tears...

Alan v.Drake

Quote from: dbuske on Sun 16/10/2016 21:27:26
Do I just put cCharlie.BlendMode = eBlendModeAdd; into the properties menu?
How about LinearLight

No, you set the property through scripting.

I've only added the blend modes that I could make work reasonably both on D3D and SW.

- Alan

selmiak

If this works this is cool. Please add it to the main AGS repo somehow.
Can you preview results in the editor? Some kind of dropdown menu with all possible blending modes in sight you can scroll through with your mouse and see instant preview would be really nifty ;)

Alan v.Drake

Quote from: selmiak on Sun 16/10/2016 22:50:36
If this works this is cool. Please add it to the main AGS repo somehow.
Can you preview results in the editor? Some kind of dropdown menu with all possible blending modes in sight you can scroll through with your mouse and see instant preview would be really nifty ;)

It will take some time before it can be merged into the main repo, and until it does I doubt I'll be making any changes for previewing the modes in the editor.
There are major changes going on in the codebase, we'll have to wait.

- Alan

Fetito

Is there an ETA when the new options will be merged into AGS 3.4?

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Alan v.Drake on Sun 16/10/2016 16:20:51
AGS Draconian r9 (October 16, 2016) DOWNLOAD

Could you explain to which AGS version your fork is the closest? (I need to know if it's ocmpatible with my AGS 3.4.0.x). I'd even suggest to name your versions after the AGS version (e.g. AGS Draconian 3.4.0.6r7)

New experimental Blend Modes !
Cool!!!

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Fri 30/09/2016 12:42:07
in git's terminology "fork" means to...

Hey guys have you ever considered using the gitflow methodology? It really helps understanding what's the "development" branch, what are the "patch" branches (the ones being developed for the previous version, the ones being developed for the current version), the "last released" branch (aka "master"), etc. It's really useful to avoid getting mixed up. Icing on the cake : the "features" that allow you to group some commits and merges together in a way that lets the reader understand that they all aim at implementing one specific new feature. all of that without additional work. Just a little self-disciplin when switching between branches.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Sun 23/10/2016 20:46:42
Hey guys have you ever considered using the gitflow methodology? It really helps understanding what's the "development" branch, what are the "patch" branches (the ones being developed for the previous version, the ones being developed for the current version), the "last released" branch (aka "master"), etc. It's really useful to avoid getting mixed up. Icing on the cake : the "features" that allow you to group some commits and merges together in a way that lets the reader understand that they all aim at implementing one specific new feature. all of that without additional work. Just a little self-disciplin when switching between branches.

We were using that all those years...
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=50001.0

Alan v.Drake

Quote from: Fetito on Fri 21/10/2016 00:38:55
Is there an ETA when the new options will be merged into AGS 3.4?

Anytime between SOON and infinity (laugh)

Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Sun 23/10/2016 20:46:42
Quote from: Alan v.Drake on Sun 16/10/2016 16:20:51
AGS Draconian r9 (October 16, 2016) DOWNLOAD

Could you explain to which AGS version your fork is the closest? (I need to know if it's ocmpatible with my AGS 3.4.0.x). I'd even suggest to name your versions after the AGS version (e.g. AGS Draconian 3.4.0.6r7)

Oh boy, I forgot one place where I didn't write "3.4.1". Fixed.

- Alan

Crimson Wizard

There are still no means for the engine to detect that the game is saved with alternate editor. If there will be "official" 3.4.1 (or higher) version which ends up incompatible/different from this Edition, engine will think that it can load the game up, but in reality that may lead to errors.

There was a solution I was once trying to develop, but haven't yet, because I was not sure if anyone will be doing anymore alternate engine versions:
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=52555.0

If there were just a way to tag the game data with custom string, that would work as a simplier solution for the time being.

Alan v.Drake

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Sun 23/10/2016 21:15:52
There are still no means for the engine to detect that the game is saved with alternate editor.

Nor it should, vanilla AGS shouldn't care about other custom editions. Should be the other way around.

- Alan

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Alan v.Drake on Mon 24/10/2016 07:29:03
Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Sun 23/10/2016 21:15:52
There are still no means for the engine to detect that the game is saved with alternate editor.

Nor it should, vanilla AGS shouldn't care about other custom editions. Should be the other way around.

Very well, I should rephrase that: games made with custom edition have no means to tell that they have custom data in them. Is this better?

E: Obviously we cannot force an author of custom edition to add a distinct indication of their program's data, but we can at least give an ability for them to do so easily. The rest is a matter of consciousness...

To elaborate, why I worry about such things, here is the real life example. On a number of occasions I was reported bugs in certain games by our port users (not loading up, not working properly). I had to waste time trying to understand what is going on before finding out that they were actually made with alternate incompatible AGS editions, and the authors of those editions did not even change engine version string or data format version.

Alan v.Drake

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Mon 24/10/2016 13:01:24
[...]the authors of those editions did not even change engine version string or data format version.

Cough cough, ahem, right that reminds me I should probably do that. (laugh)

- Alan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk