Problems with technology

Started by Erenoth02, Tue 27/09/2011 07:36:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Erenoth02

??? ::) :-\  So I've just bought a new smart phone and I created a Gmail account to activate it, it an android, I registered my email addresses and logged into HTC Facebook Sense, however now all of my phone contact list is huge, it lists all emails by persons name and even adds their phone numbers to their name, the...... biggest problem is that it synchronized all of my facebook contacts too.

so even my acquaintances on facebook are listed by name profile picture email and phone numbers if they have any posted to facebook, if i try to delete them.. it will delete them off of my facebook too...

but now their all on my phone, and on my gmail account...

I cannot find any settings on my phone to prevent it from gleaning so much information from the programs i use....

Say I meet a new client at work.... she or he give me their phone number, and i put it into my phone, later on i get notifications on facebook that I should add them "People you may know" lol..

I joined an athletic club with my phone number and instantly Facebook starts sending me members from the club to add to my friends...

Ive found all of this to be completely confusing and very intruding and almost creepy...

I love my smart phone :) but....  ??? am I intruding on others privacy??? ::)

voh

You know, Facebook's just really creepy. Their stance on privacy can be summed up as "We'll go as far as we can get away with".

And whether you're intruding on other's privacy, well.. If you/they cared about their privacy, you/they shouldn't be on facebook :P
Still here.

Wyz

Yes that's the main issue I have with Facebook. I get the feeling they go dark-side to get contact information and it creeps me out too. But now there's Google+; they are a lot less creepy. All people suggested are simply people my contacts have in common, or folks I already had in my Gmail contact list. That's how I want it to work, so fuck Facebook :P.
Life is like an adventure without the pixel hunts.

Atelier

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp6Oc1h-9cE

Guess what. A timeline of your life. To a paranoid and cynic like me that's just sinister... I'm beginning to wonder how much Zuckerberg sold his soul for. Or at the very least how much the elites are asking for it.

Hear me out: external web trackers, automatic tagging through facial recognition, comprehensive work, education, and location history, and algorithms to tell you who you talk to most often. Out of context these are terrible concepts! Nah... under the trusted guise of Facebook the average person doesn't realise how much sheer power the company wields.

I heard that in the USA some companies are actually microchipping their products now. It's only one more step (chipping humans) until they can log literally everything you've ever bought, make physical money redundant in place of virtual credit, know everybody you come in the proximity of; and hidden chips in public places could give realtime coordinates of your location to a central server.

That kind of dystopia is possible (I'm definitely not saying its probable); however if you do need tangible proof just google Alien Technology (company). It epitomises the companies with malevolent agendas: NWO/globalist or authoritarians/extremists... the various motivations are irrelevant but the actual power these genuinely trusted companies has is scary. If that blog is true, and they get a timeline of your life, for me that's a blatant show of compiling your life into some kind of story. Then I'm out of there before they know what I'm going to eat before I do.

Igor Hardy

Now I'm waiting when they'll introduce nanotechnological augmentations.

monkey0506

There's a setting in the Facebook app regarding whether or not you want to sync contact information. I'm not sure, but it's possible the only time it shows up is when you sign in on the app, so try logging out and back in. It should remove your Facebook contacts from your device if you select the right option.

R4L

Go to your Facebook app, to the grid where it says Messages, Wall, and all that. Hit the Menu button on your phone and go to Settings. Then under Sync Options, choose something else.

Tuomas

yep, it's rather simple once you get the hang of how android works. It's just a handy tool that I for one like a lot, not a CIA spy device installed inside your brain.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk