The AGS Bake Sale --- $4191.98 Dollars Raised :D

Started by Ponch, Sat 22/10/2011 03:30:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Ponch

Quote from: Dave Gilbert on Sun 23/10/2011 19:21:41
Ponch - I've already set up some forum space, if you'd like to use it.  Check your PMs.

Thanks, Dave. I e-mailed Tzachs about setting up something for us on his forum (he being one of the baker's dozen and all). He finally got it up and working and I'll feel bad if we don't use it after all the work he put into it -- he had to read the manual and everything! ;)

Thanks also for all the help you're offering us. Raising the profile of this sale will bring in a lot of money and make me an incredibly rich cow buy one helluva nice server.  :=

Ponch

Quote from: Technocrat on Sun 23/10/2011 22:51:46
So, is it still possible for people to climb on board with this? I'm sure I've got all kinds of ideas just leaking out of various orifices.

Sure. Just so long as you answer yes to these three questions:

1) "Do you pinky swear that you can have the game done by mid December?"

2) "Will you be willing to donate said game (temporarily) to a fund-raiser from which all proceeds are intended to be spent on an AGS server"

3) This is an official, grown up endeavor, involving money and everything. Are you at least the age of 18?

If you can handle that level of responsibility, then yes. Welcome aboard.

ShiverMeSideways

Quote from: Ghost on Sun 23/10/2011 22:35:14It's likesitting in front of a 086 machine again!

Seeing as how I grew up with a 286, then a 386, and then a 486, I get what you mean.

QuoteAny chance for a rocket launcher?

You insult me, sir.

Of-freakin'-course there's going to be rocket launchers!

Quote from: Ponch on Sun 23/10/2011 22:57:29

2) "Will you be willing to donate said game (temporarily) to a fund-raiser from which all proceeds are intended to be spent on an AGS server"

3) This is an official, grown up endeavor, involving money and everything. Are you at least the age of 18?

1) 95% yes.

2) Sure, i'd give it away for free anyway!

3) I arzteh eitiiin.

Ponch

Then welcome aboard, sir! I can't wait to rocket jump my little @ guy over the heads of those evil, monstrous Zs. :D

Technocrat

Quote from: Ponch on Sun 23/10/2011 22:57:29

Mid-December? I'm fairly sure I could have something done in four weeks. Maybe I should stick all the bits I've got from unfinished games together to make a complete thing!

So, 1) Can do
      2) FOR THE GREATER GOOD
      3) Plus six! (not to self - stop getting older)

markbilly

As I have, so far, only been tweeting about this I thought I'd better drop a line here.

I am going to start building a prototype for the spiritual sequel to PMQs: the Game over the next few days and if that goes well I'll be contacting the bakers about joining in :D

The hope is to draw some more - and different - press attention to the community and AGS in general.

Ponch

PMQ? Which PMQ? Prime Minister Questions? Or Pub Master Quest? You have to be specific, sir.  ;)

And we'd love to have you as part of our bake sale. You'll bring the kind of respectability and class that our group sorely needs, what with the sort of scruffy ne'er do wells we have working in our kitchen. I'm not pointing any fingers, mind you. But I' was looking directly at Snake and Dualnames when I typed that, so I think you get my drift. ;)

Edit: And with that, I think I'm going to log out for the night. It's been a long couple of days and I thank everyone for all the support they shown us since we announced the bake sale. Seriously, you guys are the best community on the intertubes!  :D  G'night!

monkey0506

Argh, this happens every time I spend less than 8-10 hours a day on the forums! >:(

I demand that I shall be part of this.

I DEMAND IT!

No promises on what the game will be. Or that it will be released by mid-December. Or that it will exist. But it will exist. I can promise you some of that*.

*Referring to the previous statements in this post.

Ponch

We'd love to have you on board, Monkey.

But just a few points up front:

1) The game must be completed by mid-December to be included in the bundle.
2) You have to agree that the money raised will go to buying a new server and not spent on hookers and cocaine.
3) The game must be suitable to be sold. No copyright infringements, no MP3s, use OGG instead, and all that stuff.
4) The games need to be as polished as possible, so have it play tested and checked for typos, and so forth.

If you're man monkey enough for that challenge, then welcome aboard!  :D

Layabout

Greetings.

I have been watching this with great interest and have started a project that I hope will be accepted into the bake sale. I have a pretty solid plan in place and things are going along smoothly.

Only thing is, the main character is a dickman. This is the spiritual successor to the 'classic' Dickboy game.

Will having an anthropomorphic penis character be a problem with any of the bakers dozen?

Ps grundislav approves.
I am Jean-Pierre.

ThreeOhFour

I've no qualms with having a penis-man game. We've already got female nudies, I don't think we should exclude male nudies as well.

In other news, Gnome's Lair has given us a bit of a write-up :D

Ponch

Tzachs once made a game that ended with a giant talking penis (<-- Spoiler alert). So I don't see how he could object to your penis game. As for myself, I fully support the penis. I have one myself and I'm quite fond of it.  8)

tzachs

Well, my giant talking penis was in the name of art.
A penis just for the sake of nudity is plain wrong...
So just make sure to stick a painting behind dickman...  ;)

Ghost

I need the name of that game, tzachs.

tzachs

Armageddon

Quote from: Ponch on Mon 24/10/2011 04:49:33
3) The game must be suitable to be sold. No copyright infringements, no MP3s, use OGG instead, and all that stuff.

Aw man, there went my Back to the Future and Monkey Island jokes.

Ponch

Quote from: Armageddon on Mon 24/10/2011 19:59:48

You can still do that. South Park does it. So do The Simpsons. Making fun of copyrighted stuff falls under the "fair use" and "parody" clauses. So those jokes are back in!  :D

Armageddon

Quote from: Ponch on Mon 24/10/2011 20:08:03
Quote from: Armageddon on Mon 24/10/2011 19:59:48

You can still do that. South Park does it. So do The Simpsons. Making fun of copyrighted stuff falls under the "fair use" and "parody" clauses. So those jokes are back in!  :D
Yay, now Einstein isn't an old man chewing bubble gum.

Gord10

Games in the list look awesome! I can't wait for this bundle to be released.
Games are art!
My horror game, Self

Pumaman

Guys, you're awesome  :)

I love the thought behind this, and I love how many people are participating.

And I'm sorry that in recent years I just haven't had the time that I'd like to dedicate to AGS.

Agreed, the new website needs to be launched. It's been 90%-done for about a year now, I just haven't had the time to finish it off. Money wouldn't help with that, it needs me (or somebody else) to have the time to finish coding it.

The forums have been a bit unreliable on occasion. But as far as I know, there's nothing wrong with the server. Occasionally the database gets corrupted for whatever reason, and I have to log in and run a repair operation on it, then the forums start working again.

This isn't due to lack of money or a cheap server, it's just due to me not being available to react immediately when the database goes down -- the same would happen if we had a 32-core multi-xeon-terahertz machine.

So actually I think what we need is people, not cash. For example, I should appoint a deputy with full server access who can go in and fix it when it breaks. But it needs to be somebody who is very familiar with the server applications and knows how it all works -- because it's so easy for somebody inexperienced to mean well but end up accidentally breaking everything.

I should also appoint a deputy to finish the new website (or open-source it). But the problem with this is that it requires a copy of the DB to be able to work on it, and I would need to spend time taking a DB backup and cleaning it up (eg. removing private data like PM's) before making it public.

So by all means, please do continue with the Bake Sale. But perhaps we can come up with another way in which the money raised could go towards buying something for the community that people would like.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk