The AGS Bake Sale --- $4191.98 Dollars Raised :D

Started by Ponch, Sat 22/10/2011 03:30:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan Timothy B

Sounds fair to me. I was just curious to see if you guys had thought this out properly for the cheap people out there. (not that I'm one of them -- okay, maybe just a little) :P

Igor Hardy

If we are already deciding to make regular bundles, it would be useful to have some financial goals planned for them too.

Otherwise it's pretty weird to be planning them, don't you think?

Ponch

Quote from: Ascovel on Tue 25/10/2011 19:53:04
If we are already deciding to make regular bundles, it would be useful to have some financial goals planned for them too.

Otherwise it's pretty weird to be planning them, don't you think?

There you go again, bringing common sense and practical advice into this again. Stop that! ;) One giant step at a time, Ascovel. There will always be worthy causes to raise money for, right? Right! So let us dream of next year's bake sale while working on this one. And if that second bake sale never materializes (which would be a tragedy), then after a year or so, everyone gets to do what they want with their games. How does that sound?

Peder 🚀

Quote from: Ponch on Tue 25/10/2011 20:35:29
There will always be worthy causes to raise money for, right? Right!

Like paying for the AGS Archives server ;) :D hehe.

Ponch

Quote from: Peder Johnsen+ on Tue 25/10/2011 20:43:03
Quote from: Ponch on Tue 25/10/2011 20:35:29
There will always be worthy causes to raise money for, right? Right!

Like paying for the AGS Archives server ;) :D hehe.

Actually, we've been discussing that very thing!  :=

Peder 🚀

Clarvalon

Can't say it has happened before, but I do enjoy coming across forum threads where my name is put forward as a potential recipient of money :)

In all seriousness, as Ben mentioned there may be more immediate & worthwhile causes to be raising money for.  I have however recently been discussing eschewing the license model in favour of crowdfunding, so it's an idea I'm open to in future.

As Mark knows, over the last few months I've been re-writing the scripting system in XAGE to use pure C# rather than XML.  As a main focus has become porting AGS games, I've written an interface to the engine based entirely on the AGS scripting language, of which 20% of all properties and methods exposed have already been implemented (28% if you exclude functions marked as obsolete):  http://www.clarvalon.com/XAGE/XageProgress.png

Inevitably this means the two engines have converged further still, though under the hood they're quite different beasts.
XAGE - Cross-Platform Adventure Game Engine (alpha)

qptain Nemo

Surely there's also an option of the developers themselves getting the well-deserved money and thus self-funding their serious and noble goal of indie game making just like it happens in Humble Indie Bundle?

Peder 🚀

Darth Mandarb

Quote from: qptain Nemo on Tue 25/10/2011 21:52:44Surely there's also an option of the developers themselves getting the well-deserved money and thus self-funding their serious and noble goal of indie game making just like it happens in Humble Indie Bundle?

Haha yes on the surface that is excellent!  However it's in opposition to why the Bake Sale was started in the first place!  We wanted to do something for the betterment of the community and we want to stick to that initiative!  Not a bad idea, just not the "vibe" we were looking for :)

(I am speaking generally but I think the rest of the bakers agree)

kaputtnik

But then it's not a bake sale anymore, but rather a flea market. I think, once we have managed to pull something like the bake sale off successfully, we will of course have incredible synergy effects, dissemination of highly specialized web 2.0 knowledge like "how do I setup a PayPal account" or "Should I sell 100 games at $100 each or rather 1000 games at $10 each" all throughout the participating community and so forth. Which means: I'm against the Humble Bundle style sale, because it takes away the pastry (unless it's a Humble Pie Bundle, I'm all for that).

edit: = what Darth said, but in a more convoluted and less efficient way.

I, object.

Ponch

I'm all for a "humble blue cup bundle"* or something down the road. But at the moment, this is all about helping the AGS community and not for personal gain.

Let's focus on having the bake sale, then we can throw bucket loads of money at CJ or Peder or whoever, improve the AGS engine (either with new features or a proper port), and buy a Russian bride for someone. Monkey_05_06, are you lonely? Ghost? Dualnames? Who needs a new bride?  ;)

-----------
EDIT: Ooh! Or "Blue Cup Bazaar"! I think that has a certain ring to it!  :=

Ghost

I'm busy with Ms. PacMan right now, call later, Ponch.

----------
An aside, I am very surprised (positively so) that it's suggested (by a forum member who's NO baker) we take the money. That is the kind of awesome you only find in this very forum! Thanks, Nemo, just for saying that.
But we want to be HEROIC BAKERS in leather pants. You never pay the hero.

Ponch

Quote from: Ghost on Tue 25/10/2011 22:36:56
I'm busy with Ms. PacMan right now, call later, Ponch.

You snooze, you lose, Ghost. Someone else is going to walk away with that Russian bride if you're not careful.

Also, I really like that "twelve days of Halloween" thing you have going on in you signature. I'm curious to see what you're going to add tomorrow.

qptain Nemo

Um.
So AGS community betterment is about everything and anything except indie game devs taking game development seriously and getting rewarded for doing so? That doesn't count as helping the AGS community at all? Are you sure?

Quote from: Ghost on Tue 25/10/2011 22:36:56
(by a forum member who's NO baker) we take the money. That is the kind of awesome you only find in this very forum! Thanks, Nemo, just for saying that.
But we want to be HEROIC BAKERS in leather pants. You never pay the hero.
I kind of am. Definitely affiliated. Definitely would claim my part if the devs would to divide the profit. But yeah, you're welcome.
Wanting to roleplay heroes is a fair enough goal I guess.

Quote from: Ponch on Tue 25/10/2011 22:33:03and not for personal gain.
I don't think encouraging developers make games and helping them doing so is all that selfish. I of course look positively towards spending resources on any improvements of the AGS experience, which AGS needs badly if you look from some angles, but I most certainly cannot understand the notion of excluding and shunning supporting the developers out of these positive goals.

Quote from: Ponch on Tue 25/10/2011 22:33:03
Let's focus on having the bake sale, then we can throw bucket loads of money at CJ or Peder or whoever, improve the AGS engine (either with new features or a proper port)
Oh, sorry am I too distracting with my meaningless suggestions? Sorry, boss, I thought people who take part in it were allowed to actually discuss what their efforts will yield. My bad.

Ponch

Quote from: qptain Nemo on Tue 25/10/2011 23:13:02
Oh, sorry am I too distracting with my meaningless suggestions? Sorry, boss, I thought people who take part in it were allowed to actually discuss what their efforts will yield. My bad.

That's now how I meant that, Nemo. Sorry if it came across the wrong way.  :'(

The original point of putting together the bake sale was to be a charity event. And that's still the goal. If we want to do something else down the road, something more profit driven, that's fine. But the bake sale was to be a fundraiser to help the AGS community, and that's still very much what I'd like to do with it.  :)

qptain Nemo

Well, ok, fair enough, but that still doesn't address my point about that helping developers themselves is supporting their community?

And I haven't even used the argument of that to make a quality engine you have to put it in active use sometimes so advancing the engine and developing with it may turn out to be most effectively done simultaneously.

But sure, if the point is charity for the sake of charity... as you wish, ladies and gentlemen.

Ponch

Quote from: qptain Nemo on Tue 25/10/2011 23:36:54
But sure, if the point is charity for the sake of charity... as you wish, ladies and gentlemen.

That's my favorite kind of charity!  :D

monkey0506

I think what they're getting at isn't that giving developers some financial incentive is obviously a viable method of enticing people, this particular event was organized with the goal of charitably benefiting the community (in that no sole individual or group would have actual personal (financial) gain). I've still yet to be formally invited inside their secret hideout, so I could be totally wrong, but the concept makes sense to me. What you're saying makes sense too, but I think it's just not what this particular sale was organized for. Maybe a future bake sale would be something more like what you were discussing, just this (specific) one wasn't.

Anyway, I have an idea what I want to do for my bake sale game. I need someone to convince Ben304 to do the graphics for me though. :D

Also I've been secretly working on a logo for MonkeyMoto Productions, Inc., and I'd really like to debut it in my bake sale game.

Ponch

An idea that being tossed around right now is something like this: We host the bake sale for a month and all the games go into one bundle. All the money raised from the sale goes into the charity bowl. Once the bake sale is over, maybe the individual games go on sale separately and each author gets whatever money his game makes in sales for the next year, or until after the next bake sale (assuming there is one). After that, the game reverts to the owner and they can either keep it up for sale or take it home and stick it in their sock drawer or whatever it is you do with your games.

It's just a thought, but that might help put everyone's mind at ease.  :-\

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk