The AGS Bake Sale --- $4191.98 Dollars Raised :D

Started by Ponch, Sat 22/10/2011 03:30:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Disco

A charity or charities would be a good use for the money originally intended for the unnecessary server. Doing something for the community would be nice, but outside of putting a down payment on Christopia or buying the Mittens France Chateau for our parties would not benefit the entire community equally.

I believe any charity chosen should be mostly neutral and something that everyone can get behind. Child's Play seems to represent us well since we are a gaming community after all.

Another option is to have the bakers choose their own charity and donate in the name of AGS. This does have the negative side of having the total donation amount being lower than if it were given to just one charity, but spreading it around and making donations to charities close to the hearts of the bakers would be a good repayment and still a boost for the community in some way.

For instance, I donated some money to Western Australia Samaritans for Ben's birthday last year. It was a rather poignant decision to donate to that group in particular that I won't get into publicly, but perhaps something that can make a difference in the areas where developers live? I'm not sure how feasible that would be in reality, just another thought.

Dualnames

LET'S JUST PICK A CHARITY, DOES IT MATTER? There are several charities that are worth it. I am also still psyched and working on my game. Even if we're not saving AGS as we thought we would.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Ponch

Quote from: Dualnames on Wed 26/10/2011 05:23:28
I am also still psyched and working on my game. Even if we're not saving AGS as we thought we would.

Hey, it's not for a lack of trying. We wanted to save AGS, but to everyone's surprise, it turns out doesn't need to be saved. All it needs is a new deputy.  :)

WHAM

I agree with DDQ's megapost in pretty much all accounts.
'Nuff said.
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

abstauber

Yay, I read through the whole thread :D And beside this pointless remark I even have something more to add:

As a potential customer (since I have nothing to bake), I'd support Kaputtnik's idea.
Let's pay someone who port the engine to SDL. As far as I know this is a pretty big deal since SDL is missing some functionality of Allegro and I doubt we can do it ourselves in reasonable time (like a year or so).

So how about this: First bake sale is for porting AGS to the droid and ios.

Second bake sale: creating adventure for phones (which will sell much better) and donate thousands pieces of eight for charity :)

kaputtnik

Quote from: abstauber on Wed 26/10/2011 07:38:27
So how about this: First bake sale is for porting AGS to the droid and ios.

Second bake sale: creating adventure for phones (which will sell much better) and donate thousands pieces of eight for charity :)

That's exactly what I was thinking just now:

First bake sale: make AGS a suitable vehicle for modern-day cross-platform game development.

Second - infinite bake sale: establish this reputation by hosting an annual charity game making event.

This way, the first bake sale will be more or less a community thing, although people from outside who are excited about the idea of having AGS games on mobile devices will certainly buy/donate as well. Then, once we have reached portability, we can host a seriously universal charity event that will raise some substantial money for a good cause, bring exciting new people to AGS and maybe introduce a whole new generation to adventure games.

I, object.

Wonkyth

As much as I agree with the ideas about getting AGS once and for all Cross-Platform, thereby making this kind of thing more viable, I'd have to say that I'd hardly consider AGS a "Charity", or something worthy of the general throwing-of-money-at that this could become.
Don't misunderstand me, I love AGS and it's community. A lot. I have spent more time reading these forums, playing these games and chatting on the AGS IRC channel then I've spent on all other game-related websites combined. Serious. No joke. In all honesty...
where was I... However, beyond addressing a specific and finite need, such as replacing a server, I cannot fully support a fund-raiser designed only to make AGS better.
I believe there are far more important uses of money.
"But with a ninja on your face, you live longer!"

abstauber

Quote from: Wonkyth on Wed 26/10/2011 10:56:24
However, beyond addressing a specific and finite need, such as replacing a server, I cannot fully support a fund-raiser designed only to make AGS better.
I believe there are far more important uses of money.

It's more like the decision whether to buy seed or fruit. Besides there are hundreds of aid organisations, which gratefully accept donations and the good thing is that you can decide on your own,which org you'd like to fund.

Technocrat

I'd jump on board and support Child's Play as well if it does end up as a charity donation rather than contributing to the maintenance of the community. Helps generate exposure for AGS within the gaming society at large, as well.

If we've got twice as many people joining in as bakers than expected, how about splitting the games into (at least) two different batches, and dealing with distributing the newer ones later on? Or, (and I have absolutely no idea of the technical implications of this) making a "pick and mix" system, whereby buyers choose a set amount out of the selection.

I didn't say they were good ideas, just clearing out my brain.

monkey0506

I seemed to have thoroughly pissed some people off with my "demands" that I be included in this. AGS is something I am passionate about. I will be baking a game. Include it or don't. Sorry for stepping on everyone's toes.

Ponch

Quote from: monkey_05_06 on Wed 26/10/2011 17:30:33
I seemed to have thoroughly pissed some people off with my "demands" that I be included in this. AGS is something I am passionate about. I will be baking a game. Include it or don't. Sorry for stepping on everyone's toes.

We're glad to have you aboard, Monkey. Now hurry up and make a game!  :=

m0ds

Quote from: monkey_05_06 on Wed 26/10/2011 17:30:33

EDIT: You are involved now. YAY teh Rittenhouzee!

People are just confusing discussion with method. I too have been motivated to make a game, and started it a couple of nights ago. It's inspired entirely by the Bake sale thread coming about, but alas, it will be free and out before the bake sale itself. I think many felt a positive reaction to the idea whether we are involved in the dozen or not. Strangely the reaction is to work on a game. More than that. I can't really explain the last couple of days  ;D I have confidence in your game abilities and you should definitely make the grade, I'm just saying don't worry too much if it doesn't happen. Hopefully the positive boost behind the idea (and the baking of a cake) will be satisfying enough.

Personally I agree about keeping it at 13 games, 13 developers. It is after all the bakers dozen. And that means something quite specifically  := But don't let the discussion here over-influence your decisions. Just keep us in the loop  8)

ShiverMeSideways

My 3 cents, yes I know I wasn't asked! :D

¢1 : If CJ/authority figure on the forums doesn't want the money/can't use the money to help the AGS community (via porting, server maintenance, site upgrade etc.), then it should go to a charity - Child's Play seems the most natural choice, not because other charities are not as deserving, but because of the very essence of the community, the engine, and the prospective buyers.

¢2 : I agree that the games in the bundle should adhere to a certain degree of quality. Even as one of those who probably cannot reach that standard, I postulate: why not have a committee comprising of a part, or all of the Bakers Dozen vote on each possible entry with a simple "yay" or "nay"? The majority shall decide if the game is accepted in the bundle or not.

¢3 : Peder should get a cut or at least a sum from the money. He has been doing a ton of stuff regarding the community including FREE agser.me accounts, new AGS Archives site as well as MINECRAFT SERVER OMG.

Ponch

We don't want the bundle to grow so large that it becomes unmanageable, true. And ddq's point about it appearing to be shovelware if a hundred games are all clumped together is a valid one.

That being said, however, several people have already expressed interest (either in one of the threads or in PMs) and started making games. I can't tell those people to stop. It wouldn't be fair.

So if you're already in, keep baking. If you haven't joined up but were thinking about it, why not hold on to that good idea and be a part of the next bake sale in the summer (or possibly next Christmas. We still haven't decided).

I'm pretty sure this won't be the only event we hold, so there's plenty of time to join the next one (or the one after that!  :D ).

Thanks for all your support, everyone. It means a lot to us.  :=

poc301

Alrighty then, as Ponch suggested via PM, here goes...

We're working on a game for the bake sale.  Myself doing the story, dialog and backgrounds, and Neil doing the character art and animations.  It'll be something... Well... Lets just say unique.  

Looking forward to posting some screenies once we have more to show for it.   It'll be fun though, working on something other than a Murran Chronicle game for the first time in almost 3 years :)

-Bill

straydogstrut

I still fully support the Bake Sale despite a new server no longer being the aim. To be honest, a server itself doesn't really do it for me but the idea of this whole coming together of developers for a mutual cause to benefit the AGS community really moved me. There have been wonderful things happening in the forums - the Swarm, AdventureX, AGSArchives, Nimbus (not really sure where that one's at now but it was beautiful) - and this just epitomises the fantastic community spirit around here. It brought a tear to my eye, it really did :'(

It might no longer be for a new server but I don't think this thing has gotten out of hand yet. People are just rallying round with ideas and that's really pleasing to see. Not all the ideas have to be taken on board - and I think the real discussion is happening in this cold and damp cave I keep hearing about - but it's good to see so many people involved. Yay for you!

Personally i'm happy with the charity idea. It sends out a really good message about our community and does have wide market appeal. I do think this bake sale should be aimed at the community and beyond so it can only help if the cause reflects that.

That's not to say I wouldn't support a 'for the community' cause. I really would and AGSArchives would be my first choice. It's a very visible, not to mention lovely, side to the AGS community that benefits us and people who just want to play our games. That and Peder is an all-round wonderful guy who has put a lot of effort into it, not to mention giving out those personal website thingys and letting me get blown up by creepers on a regular basis :o

I do fully support the monies to the developers idea too but as the Bakers have already said that isn't the focus of this particular Bake Sale - but remember that this is hopefully going to be a regular thing so lets not rule it out for the future!! ;D

Also, although the iDevice lover in me squeals excitedly at the thought of supporting a cross-platform initiative in some form, I don't think this needs money, it just needs passionate people. We have all the time in the world to do this. I can wait :)

Finally, i'm not too worried about the quality of the games: I wouldn't submit anything less than polished for something like this and I hope others would do the same. I do agree there should be a cap on the number of games though as the value in the eyes of the consumers will go down with too many games in there. That doesn't mean people shouldn't make their games. It has inspired me to finish a game too but I don't intend to submit it to the Bake Sale. I don't think people should be offended if their game doesn't make the cut. I hate to say it because I never want to 'sell' anything, but I do think there does have to be someone with some marketing know-how like Dave to streamline the package to maximise profits. After all, it's for a good cause :)

Bottom line, I'm not worried. I think the Bake Sale is in very safe um..hooves? with Ponch. Go you, little cow man thing.

Ghost

Quote from: Mods on Wed 26/10/2011 18:02:24It's inspired entirely by the Bake sale thread coming about, but alas, it will be free and out before the bake sale itself.
That's like getting free cake while MAKING cake. I like the sound of that. Like that a LOT!

m0ds

Quote from: Ghost on Wed 26/10/2011 19:03:54
Quote from: Mods on Wed 26/10/2011 18:02:24It's inspired entirely by the Bake sale thread coming about, but alas, it will be free and out before the bake sale itself.
That's like getting free cake while MAKING cake. I like the sound of that. Like that a LOT!

Thanks Ghost :) Cake inspires cake. Fill your pants with it!

Now I know why it was you once said to me "a cake about zombies"  :=

Armageddon

It would be really cool if we could get Wolfire to do a 'Humble Adventure Game Bundle' with all of the bake sale games. Just a thought.

markbilly

Quote from: Ponch on Tue 25/10/2011 19:07:57
The thinking is that the game you offer up will be part of the bake sale bundle and squirreled away for a year to give people an incentive to buy the games during the sale and not just wait patiently for a month for the sale to end and then get them for free instead of helping us to raise money.

After the year has passed, we hold a new bake sale for another worthy cause and once the second bake sale is over,  you'll get your old game from the first bake sale back to do what you want with it.

I hope that sounds fair to everyone.  :)

I may have to do a U-turn on my intention to join the Bakerhood because of this - or, at least back out of developing PMQs 2 for it. You see, well over 50% of the people who played PMQs weren't from the gaming community. If I released PMQs 2 in the bundle, I'd need to somehow get the game to all the non-gamers out there without them having to download a heap of adventure games along with it.

So I'd need to be able to offer them a direct download link, as well as the link to the Bake Sale Bundle. Which wouldn't work under the (perfectly understandable) rules.

I'll have a think and see if there's some other way I can contribute.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk