The AGS Bake Sale --- $4191.98 Dollars Raised :D

Started by Ponch, Sat 22/10/2011 03:30:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Frodo

Finished Barn Runner, and playing a bit of Ram Ghost.   ;)

Lots of fun   ;D

Big GC

The Rail  :o :o :o

Superb!
Tracking down your other stuff now.

Falling skyward was just so good looking.
Making a game - this should be easy......?

Ponch

Be careful with RAM Ghost, Frodo. It ate up all of Kim's free time for several afternoons.  ;)

Also, we have sailed past the $2000 dollar mark. 564 bundles sold so far. Special tip of the chef's hat goes to Mr. Romain R. of Switzerland, who donated 85 dollars, breaking the previous record of $75. \o/

Stupot

Exams suck. :(  I really wanna play more games and finish Barn Runner, but today is revision day.  Might treat myself to a quick BR sesh before bed tonight if I've revoze hard enough.

Seems like Notch didn't see my Tweet.  How about others have a go?  Maybe people who's existence he is already aware of. I noticed he's recently been exchanging Tweets with such fine folk as Binky and Ivy, maybe we could get them to give him the heads up. :-)

Grundislav

The Bake Sale games are being played and streamed here right now.

Ponch

ddq

The most common complaint I'm seeing is no steam activation. Which is weird.

Spectreincarnate

Quote from: ddq on Mon 23/01/2012 05:37:09
Well, they probably think it's the same as the Humble Indie Bundles, which did have Steam activation.
But if people just want it to be on their Steam library list for convenience reasons, that's easy. You can add any program, doesn't even have to be a game (or even a real program**), and still let friends know what you are playing/working on. On the top menu, hit Games, then Add Non-Steam Game to My Library.

**Add a program to your library, like Wordpad, that wouldn't bother you while sitting in the background/task bar of your computer. Rename it in Steam whenever you want to with whatever you want such as "Watching a movie." or "Writing or drawing."

Snarky

Quote from: ddq on Mon 23/01/2012 05:37:09

Most of the negative comments I've seen have been that Child's Play is not the most worthwhile charity... which is kind of true.

I'm honestly much less excited to buy/donate now than I was when it was supposed to be a community fund for AGS expenses. I'll probably just throw in a nominal amount at some point.

Spectreincarnate

Quote from: Snarky on Mon 23/01/2012 08:14:02
Most of the negative comments I've seen have been that Child's Play is not the most worthwhile charity... which is kind of true.

Medicine and tests are not the only thing a child needs to get better. Raising their quality of life and making them feel comfortable in a hospital situation while all their toys and friends have been taken away from them, possibly for months, could seriously benefit that kid from being scared or depressed.

I remember being scared out of my wits end when getting surgery when I was a toddler. I had to sit in this darkened room with a bunch of strange adults who were waiting for surgery also, and my parents weren't even allowed to be with me. No one gave me anything to do or told me what was going on, just that I had to stay there and wait. You've got to be kidding me! I ran out of the room bawling for my parents and some nurse found me and we eventually found them. But again, the nurses pretty much told me that I had to wait in that room for a "little bit" and my parents had to stay outside. A little bit ended up being several hours and I was mad and scared and frequently tried to "escape"! My parents were furious that they couldn't be with me and we still don't understand why we couldn't have waited for my surgery appointment somewhere else---somewhere more kid-friendly, with lots of toys and games.

So, yeah, personally, I'm all for Child's Play!

Frodo

Quote from: Ponch on Sun 22/01/2012 16:54:22
Be careful with RAM Ghost, Frodo. It ate up all of Kim's free time for several afternoons.  ;)

Also, we have sailed past the $2000 dollar mark. 564 bundles sold so far. Special tip of the chef's hat goes to Mr. Romain R. of Switzerland, who donated 85 dollars, breaking the previous record of $75. \o/

I'll be careful   :P

And... £2000 already?  That's BRILLIANT!  Congrats to all you bakers, for all your work.   ;D

cat

Quote from: Snarky on Mon 23/01/2012 08:14:02

In some other blog people suggested to only donate a small amount to Child's Play and donate more to another charity organisation of your choice.

Babar

I'm not really AGAINST Child's Play in any way, but if I decided that I wanted to give to charity, it certainly wouldn't be anywhere near the top of my list. When I am buying a humble bundle, I usually set the Child's Play donation percentage to the least.

What irks me a bit is that it seems to be the default: "Oh, you're a gamer/game-maker? Then you will donate to Child's Play". There ARE (what I would consider to be) loads of more deserving charities.
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

abstauber

Hooray, here's another happy customer (now I just need to find some time to play those). Anyway congrats on completing the bake sale!
You're awesome  :=

Dualnames

-
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Stupot

I personally really like what Child's Play are doing, but each to his own, I guess.

This weird negativity about CP reminds of that immature derision aimed at bands who have become "too commercial", which is preposterous anyway.  You either like the music or you don't.  If you don't like the music, fair play - buy a different album.  And if you don't like CP, also fair play - buy the Bake Sale Bundle for $1.50 (or wait six weeks and get it free) and then jog on to the website of a charity you do like and donate whatever you fancy.

Radiant

Well, at least it's not one of those charities infamous for giving a huge salary to its director.

Anyway, for next year's Bake Sale a different charity could be considered, or a vote between several prior to going live. Variation is a good thing anyway.

Dave Gilbert

Quote from: Stupot+ on Mon 23/01/2012 12:37:30
(or wait six weeks and get it free)

Er, just so you know, that's not an option.  The games will NOT be going free.  We discussed this internally, and we decided it would be unfair to the people who paid money, as well as give us zero credibility the next time we do a bake sale.  So, no freebies.

Ghost

Quote from: Stupot+ on Mon 23/01/2012 12:37:30
buy the Bake Sale Bundle for $1.50 (or wait six weeks and get it free)

Once the sale's over, the bakers have agreed to keep their games under lock and key for a year- it could really annoy customers to buy a game bundle and then see the games for free hardly two months later.
After that year re-releases, deluxe editions, movies-of-the-game and musical adaptions are very likely. I hear Phil Collins is already memorizing Waltzing Mathilda.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk