Background Blitz: Alien World (10th Nov - 26th Nov) *Winner!*

Started by Kastchey, Thu 10/11/2011 15:10:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Kastchey

Create a background for a game that takes place in an extraterrestrial world. Include at least one distinctive feature to convince the viewer that this place is not Earth. It can be anything: fauna, flora, terrain formations, weather conditions, architecture or even different laws of physics if you can find a way to depict them.

Examples, references, inspirations:

Trophies:

Dualnames

Nice theme there, Kastchey, I think I'll be joining.  ;)
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Kastchey

Can't say I'm surprised that this kind of topic has caught your interest, Dual :)
Thanks and good luck with your entry!

Derrick Freeland

Couldn't resist this one.
I give you:
FLOATY  ROCKS

Kastchey

First entry, great!

Also, updated the main thread with trophies.

Ilyich

Happy that the forums were back, I've decided to participate in the current blitz, and, given the theme, I thought I'd start by drawing some random squiggly lines and work from that. Word of advice - don't ever do that. :D

It took a while to make it into something at least relatively cohesive, but I'm happy I gave it a try - so here's my Alien world thingy:

Derrick Freeland

Looks like the squiggly line method worked out pretty well.  :=

Cogliostro

Just a little something entitled:

LANDING IS NOT AN OPTION

- Cogliostro
"First things first, but not necessarily in that order." - Dr. Who

DrewCCU

I'm not much of a background artist ... but here's my try.
"So much of what we do is ephemeral and quickly forgotten, even by ourselves, so it's gratifying to have something you have done linger in people's memories."
-John Williams

Kastchey

Whoohoo, four entries!
Thanks for participating, everyone.

Does anyone need an extension? Dualnames?

Dualnames

I'm gonna try to whip up something today, if everyone is okay with that. Just give me 6 hours from this post.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Dualnames

Definitely not the best entry. I wanted to spend some time on the tree, which means actually drawing it, but well, here goes, mostly photomanipulation.

In case it's not obvious there are two planets.

Kastchey

Awesome, thanks for the entry :)

If anyone else would like to post a last minute entry, I'll keep the competition open until tomorrow around this hour.

oraxon

The intergalactic bankers who used this extremely remote outpost have been gone for 200 million years. Recent explorers nicknamed it "Planet Cash".

Kastchey

We have a total of six entries, thanks everyone for participating!

Voting categories as usual:
Idea:
Atmosphere:
Design
Composition
Functionality
Technique:

Voting ends December 2nd, again around this hour.

Derrick Freeland

Idea:  Cogliostro
Atmosphere:  Dualnames
Design: Cogliostro
Composition: Dualnames
Functionality: Ilyich
Technique: Ilyich

Ilyich

Idea: Derrick Freeland - it's a bit hard to read the idea here without the title, but it's definitely there and it's not just an Earth landscape with some extra moons thrown in. :)
Atmosphere: Dualnames - although it barely qualifies as an alien landscape (yeah, I know, 2 planets :D) or as a game backround ;), it's still beautiful and very atmospheric.
Design:  oraxon - clever use of coin stacks as elements of the landscape. I only wish there would've been more of an aerial perspective going on.
Composition:  Dualnames - simple, but precise and well defined composition.
Functionality:  Cogliostro - it may not be a playable background, but it will surely make a very good cutscene.
Technique: Dualnames - because it's pretty :)

Dualnames

Idea: Derrick Freeland - Though I believe there could be a better expand to your idea, I think regardless, it's the least abstract of all the others, oraxon being second close.

Atmosphere: Ilyich - I just love that background

Design:  oraxon - The whole coin stack deal, gave me a hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy vibe, and kudos just for that.

Composition:  DrewCCU - Despite I don't like the blue part of the picture, I really love the rest of it. Even if most likely that's just a randomly drawn thingie.

Functionality:  Ilyich - Not sure who could draw a character there, most likely you, but I can see that scene work easily with a nice fishy-like character.

Technique: oraxon - Well, i believe any of the entrants could fit there, but oraxon has always surprised me with his entries, varying a lot in terms of how they were built.

Cogliostro

Idea: Derrick Freeland - I simulateously see an alien landscape and a bad acid trip.

Atmosphere: Dualnames - You feel the chill in the air.

Design:  Ilyich - Chaos evolves into order.

Composition:  DrewCCU - I see the storm passing and the Fremen coming out, so Stilgar can chat with Paul Atreides - Assuming composition is is defined as: the background that does the most storytelling. 

Functionality:  Ilyich - Characters can *do* something in this room, the rest of us drew pretty pictures.

Technique:  Ilyich - You started with random squiggles!

- Cogliostro
"First things first, but not necessarily in that order." - Dr. Who

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk