Background Blitz: Winter (Dec 2 - Dec 16, 2011) Winner announced!

Started by Ilyich, Fri 02/12/2011 20:00:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Ilyich

This time you have to create a background with the general theme of winter.

As usual, the background has to be usable in a game and AGS-compatible.

Voting starts on December 17. Good luck! :)

Monsieur OUXX

I vote for Ilyich. His background is powerful, simple, and brilliant.
'nuff said :)

Ilyich

Yeah, I completely agree, I'm totally awesome! ;D Although, no matter how awesome I may or may no be,  I probably should've mentioned the fact that the winter picture in the first post was not drawn by me, but by a man whose art is indeed powerful, simple and brilliant, namely - Craig Thompson - a wonderful comic book author. The frame comes from his splendid graphic novel "Blankets". :)

Secret Fawful

Went for something resembling a matte painting from an old black and white movie.

cat

Quote from: Ilyich on Sat 03/12/2011 13:12:07
The frame comes from his splendid graphic novel "Blankets". :)

You made me place an order  ;)

DrewCCU

Since my last background wasn't that successful, I thought I'd try a different style:

"So much of what we do is ephemeral and quickly forgotten, even by ourselves, so it's gratifying to have something you have done linger in people's memories."
-John Williams

Dualnames

Secret Fawful that's great, I really LOVE LOVE LOVE your background!
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Ilyich

Looking good so far!

Secret Fawful, nice! Very atmospheric. I like how the mountains and the skies look a bit like a theatrical set behind the very realistic cabin - it gives the background a slightly gothic, creepy feeling. Along with the black-and-whiteness of it, of course. :)

DrewCCU - great clean lines and soft colours! It's really nice, but a bit too empty at the moment. I suggest you add something to the far background and to the foreground to make it even better. :)

cat, hope you'll enjoy it as much as I did! :D

DrewCCU

Quote from: Ilyich on Sun 04/12/2011 17:44:14
Looking good so far!

Secret Fawful, nice! Very atmospheric. I like how the mountains and the skies look a bit like a theatrical set behind the very realistic cabin - it gives the background a slightly gothic, creepy feeling. Along with the black-and-whiteness of it, of course. :)

DrewCCU - great clean lines and soft colours! It's really nice, but a bit too empty at the moment. I suggest you add something to the far background and to the foreground to make it even better. :)

cat, hope you'll enjoy it as much as I did! :D

What if this is how the scene looks? WHy does there have to be something more? ... the game calls for an empty barren wasteland with nothing more than a tree, an igloo, and a river. What if this is exactly how I wanted this scene to look?

Mozart once said “I pay no attention whatever to anybody's praise or blame. I simply follow my own feelings.”

People would critique his work and say it should be this way and it should be that way but Mozart would say something like: Who are you to tell me what my work should sound like? It is exactly as it is suppose to sound ... not one note more, not one note less.

With that being said, I think it probably does need something else ... :-D
"So much of what we do is ephemeral and quickly forgotten, even by ourselves, so it's gratifying to have something you have done linger in people's memories."
-John Williams

Coda Frost

Hi. I'm new around here, and a complete newbie to drawing as well.
Just learning a few things, but thought I would join in on the fun!

nihilyst

After quite some time, I finally decided to enter again. So here's mine.

2x

Ilyich

Wow, 4 entries and 1 sold copy of "Blankets" in 3 days! :D Great! Keep those entries coming, people! :)

Coda Frost, that's pretty good for a newbie, and quite disturbing, which i assume is what you were aiming for. :)

nihilyst, love it! Wonderful use of the retro palette and perfectly captured feeling of a chilly morning on the outskirts of the city!

DrewCCU, I'm not saying you have to add something, it's definitely up to you, just offering some subjective friendly advice. :)

nihilyst

DrewCCU

Quote from: Ilyich on Mon 05/12/2011 09:10:33
DrewCCU, I'm not saying you have to add something, it's definitely up to you, just offering some subjective friendly advice. :)

I know, I'm sorry. I guess I wasn't in the best of moods when I wrote that.
-John Williams

Armageddon

Darkdan

Babar

Hahahah....wow, Darkdan, despite being a very different style from it, that background instantly reminded me of the snowy areas of King's Quest V. Now I'm trying to imagine King's Quest V in that style :D

King's Quest V in the Mountain Area

(maybe that image could give some others inspiration as well...)
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Anian

This is a work in progress, modeling and uvmapping is done still needs texturing and lighting...and snow, but I got some work to do so I'll probably finish it tomorrow night.

EDIT: I am nearly finished with this
EDIT numero duo:

I wouldn't say it's finished, but I'm fed up and the deadline has come.
I don't want the world, I just want your half

Ilyich

Okay, so, 7 entries in a week? Wow! I dare you to maintain the same rate for the second week of the blitz! :D

Armageddon - it may not be the best background ever, but I sure love the bizarre pink house with the green door! I wish people painted their actual houses this way - the world would've been a better place for it. :)

Darkdan, that's very nice! Great clean vector art with good use of repeating shapes. And it makes me want to play Skyrim some more. :P

anian, can't wait to see this finished, I'm sure it will look great!

Babar, ooh, that's beautiful! I think I should give King's Quest V another try. :)

Secret Fawful

Wow, there are some insanely great entries here. I'm surprised to see no Christmas-y stuff, though.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk