Space Quest: Vohaul Strikes Back!

Started by pcj, Fri 23/12/2011 02:11:26

Previous topic - Next topic

LuciferSam86

Downloading right now...
By the way: this game is awesome. Thank you guys, you bring back to life Roger & Co.
I hope to see more Space Quest adventures from you :=
God is Real, unless declared Integer

piperhcombs

Yep. I officially can't continue because the game keeps freezing
Spoiler
when I try to put on the surgical mask in the sewers. I'm pretty sure that's what you were supposed to do, unless I missed something.
[close]
:cheers: + :claps:

Temperance&Booth  Sydney&Vaughn  Nadia&Weiss

pcj

Quote from: piperhcombs on Sat 24/12/2011 18:12:34
Yep. I officially can't continue because the game keeps freezing
Spoiler
when I try to put on the surgical mask in the sewers. I'm pretty sure that's what you were supposed to do, unless I missed something.
[close]

Hmm, did you...
Spoiler
put the air freshener in it first?
[close]

We'll check out the problem, though.
Space Quest: Vohaul Strikes Back is now available to download!

piperhcombs

You know, I completely missed the
Spoiler
Air freshener screen, but even after I went and found it and combined that and the mask, the game still froze.
[close]

EDIT:

Success! I figured out what was going on!
Spoiler
It has to with how you have Roger put on the mask. If you put it on by clicking the mask (as the cursor) onto Roger on the main game screen, then it works just fine.

However, if you have Roger put on the mask through the inventory screen (use the hand icon on the mask) then the game will freeze (by freeze I mean the cursor will be stuck on the wait cursor, and then the game will freeze outright- except for the music which plays on- if you press the ESC key) I think it's because there's an animation for Roger putting on the mask and when you're in the inventory screen there's no Roger to animate and something happens cuz of that that stalls the game (I'm no programmer).
[close]

pcj

Quote from: piperhcombs on Sat 24/12/2011 18:26:14
EDIT:

Success! I figured out what was going on!
Spoiler
It has to with how you have Roger put on the mask. If you put it on by clicking the mask (as the cursor) onto Roger on the main game screen, then it works just fine.

However, if you have Roger put on the mask through the inventory screen (use the hand icon on the mask) then the game will freeze (by freeze I mean the cursor will be stuck on the wait cursor, and then the game will freeze outright- except for the music which plays on- if you press the ESC key) I think it's because there's an animation for Roger putting on the mask and when you're in the inventory screen there's no Roger to animate and something happens cuz of that that stalls the game (I'm no programmer).
[close]
Ah good catch.  Was wondering why I wasn't seeing it.

pcj

Quote from: piperhcombs on Sat 24/12/2011 09:21:05Roger can get stuck in place
Spoiler
on the gate screen (to the left of the Colonel's tent) rendering him able to talk to everyone on the screen but unable to move anywhere including off screen. I had to kill myself via electric fence to get out of it.
[close]

Did this happen just walking around or were you interacting with something?

piperhcombs

I was just walking around. I walked into the gate screen from the Colonel's tent screen while that guard was stilling following me and just like that I was stuck. Didn't happen again though.

D-TurboKiller

I've seen a plethora of fangames, and this one really stands out as one of the best ones! I was craving for some Roger Wilco adventuring and this filled me up more than a Christmas Turkey, thanks guys!

Spoiler
Got the Bad Ending, saw the Easter Egg (really cool addition guys!), currently doing the Good Ending path inside Vohaul's mind. I got 2 out of 3 doors green except for the Infancy one where he's messing with the chemicals. From what I can tell, I need to replace his Teddy Bear Mug with another one, but he notices there's no juice when I try to do it with an empty one (which I can't find anything to fill with). How can I prevent him from blowing up the house?
[close]

Here's hoping you can help out a bit. I'm ashamed to be only able to lurk here in the forums and not contribute, but that's all I can do at the moment, as I'm also making a game with a small team (not with AGS, but free and for fun only). I'm hoping I can whip up my own little game next year depending on my free time.

pcj

Quote from: D-TurboKiller on Sat 24/12/2011 19:46:37
Spoiler
Got the Bad Ending, saw the Easter Egg (really cool addition guys!), currently doing the Good Ending path inside Vohaul's mind. I got 2 out of 3 doors green except for the Infancy one where he's messing with the chemicals. From what I can tell, I need to replace his Teddy Bear Mug with another one, but he notices there's no juice when I try to do it with an empty one (which I can't find anything to fill with). How can I prevent him from blowing up the house?
[close]

Spoiler
He's looking for a purple liquid...maybe you should find someway to make a purple liquid from what he has
[close]

mjomble

Spoiler
saw the Easter Egg (really cool addition guys!)
[close]
Which one? :P
You should play Vohaul Strikes Back and Incinerations (they both happen to be fan made Space Quest sequels made with AGS).
And then tell everybody on the planet about them. And off the planet.

D-TurboKiller

Quote from: mjomble on Sat 24/12/2011 20:27:34
Spoiler
saw the Easter Egg (really cool addition guys!)
[close]
Which one? :P
Spoiler
The one where you have to type out the code when you try riding on the tram, and end up in what's best called a "developer room"
[close]
Regardless, I just finished the game now, fantastic job! Though the way I got stuck was pretty forgetful of me, that's the one thing I missed and yet had on my mind.

My only gripe was that I had to do quite a lot of running back and forth because some magical item suddenly decided to appear in a certain area or something suddenly started working. And there's also a few cases where you totally couldn't guess the right item to use.
Spoiler
Giving a bone to a monkey to make him accidentaly knock himself out in the middle of a guarded Camp didn't make any sense to me. Same thing for the Snowman, I'm still wondering why I couldn't just punch the damned thing, regardless of Roger being as weak as a kid yet being able to whack a snowman with a bone.
[close]

But these are just a few nitpicks, and they don't scratch any feel of awesome in this game. Thumbs up!

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Congratulations on getting this sumbitch done.  Now you can spend 10 more years on Space Quest 3!

pcj

You're confusing this with the SQ2 remake being released next week by IA, I presume.  VSB is an entirely original fangame, not a remake.  :)

Scorpio82

Getting some cool feedback here! Sorry about the sewer bug - I could've sworn we covered every angle on that puzzle.

Quote from: D-TurboKiller on Sat 24/12/2011 20:38:37My only gripe was that I had to do quite a lot of running back and forth because some magical item suddenly decided to appear in a certain area or something suddenly started working. And there's also a few cases where you totally couldn't guess the right item to use.
Spoiler
Giving a bone to a monkey to make him accidentaly knock himself out in the middle of a guarded Camp didn't make any sense to me. Same thing for the Snowman, I'm still wondering why I couldn't just punch the damned thing, regardless of Roger being as weak as a kid yet being able to whack a snowman with a bone.
[close]

I think this is one of the problems with a ten-year development cycle. When something is in the game design long enough, it tends to get over-looked once the team has gotten used to it - and I think these two puzzles were some of the earliest written.

Spoiler
The General's puzzle is an interesting example since, at the time, the puzzle was formed around the idea of "hey, wouldn't it be funny to put a Space Odyssey reference here?" By the time we caught on that using film parodies to solve obscure puzzles wasn't the best of ideas, the whole boot camp was already implemented.

Our work-around was to simply drop a clue, like have the General ask for something to break the thing open instead. Even if it didn't make sense to help him (and made even less sense after the puzzle was solved), it at least changed the puzzle enough to provide a minor objective. This was one of those "we learned our lesson for next time" puzzles.
[close]

And looking at the clock... MERRY CHRISTMAS! :D

olzen

Yeah, Merry Christmas, and again, thanks for all the feedback and bug reports! :)

It's true that the puzzles you're highlighting there are a bit... dare I say "Roberta-esque"? Trust me - we've had some way weirder ones that got shelved! ;D

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

QuoteVSB is an entirely original fangame, not a remake.

In that case I will download it immediately!  :D

Cyrus

Quote from: olzen on Sun 25/12/2011 08:01:43
Trust me - we've had some way weirder ones that got shelved! ;D
Could you release some of your old materials and finally open your Wiki for everyone?  ;D I think everybody will be interested to have a look at them.

mjomble

Quote from: Cyrus on Sun 25/12/2011 10:41:14
Could you release some of your old materials and finally open your Wiki for everyone?  ;D I think everybody will be interested to have a look at them.

We won't be opening up the entire wiki, but we do have plans to post some behind-the-scenes stuff on the website at some point. It'll be a while, though - right now we're busy getting the word out as well as resting :P
You should play Vohaul Strikes Back and Incinerations (they both happen to be fan made Space Quest sequels made with AGS).
And then tell everybody on the planet about them. And off the planet.

olzen

I've been working on-off on an editorial chronicling the foundation of the project, and trying to summarize the development the way I saw it. I'm hoping to have it done shortly after New Year's. The plan is to make it available as a download.

Apart from that, like Andres said, we'll probably be releasing some old sketches, scripts that didn't make the cut, etc. For now, you may be interested in this old trailer.

LimpingFish

Right, I've...somewhat messily...moved the majority of tip-seeking to the Hints and Tips board, so head over there if you're looking for help. :)
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk