Space Quest -1 "Decision of the Elders"...ready for download!!!

Started by Leisure Suit Harry, Sat 14/01/2012 12:03:50

Previous topic - Next topic

Leisure Suit Harry

Boston McShew (also known as Leisure Suit Harry) is proud to inform you that the AGI-SCI retro game

"Space Quest minus 1 - Decisions of the Elders"

is complete and ready for download.

I thought about postponing its release because so many SQ games have recently been completed. Since my game is different (it's really retro style with 320x200 pictures, AGI fonts - design very similar to SQ2) it's hardly comparable to the other games --> I decided to release it right away.

It's some kind of hybrid between AGI (graphics) and "modern" aspects (icon controlled, ogg-Music).
If you are not yet convinced I have provided 2 screenshots under "games in production".

If you loved the really old games you'll like this one and spend a funny and melancholic hour.

Enjoy:

http://www.tonundtext.at/downloads/DOTE1_1.zip

(I hope it's a good omen that I uploaded the ZIP on Friday 13th  ;D)

Boston McShew (aka LSH)
Yours Boston McShew (aka Leisure Suit Harry)

arj0n

olzen

Are you serious? :D

This is awesome. Just yesterday, I was thinking "Well, I could play VSB or 'Incinerations', but it's not much fun when you know all the puzzles. What else am I going to play now both games are out?"

Congratulations on the release - looking forward to play this ;D

EDIT: I also just did an update about game on the Facebook and Google+ pages of VSB; I figured you wouldn't mind some more attention being drawn towards this :)

Leisure Suit Harry

pcj

Nice...don't forget to add it to the games database.

Just finished it, hope you keep going!

Couple of nitpicks:
Some hotspots require you to get closer, others just take you there automatically.  I'd suggest you pick which way you want to go on this.  I myself prefer to just go there automatically but others probably feel differently.

"Better don't" isn't really proper English among all the other well-thought out text - it just grates on me, sorry.

Overall, well done! I really liked the puzzles and the graphics.
Space Quest: Vohaul Strikes Back is now available to download!

Scorpio82

Just finished playing it. Very short, but sweet. There's a lot of puzzles in these few rooms.

Personally, I found that the game asks you to "get closer" more often than not, so that might be the route to go with all your future puzzles. You could have a lot of fun with "get closer" and make it a running gag in the episodes to come.

I look forward to the next episode! How long did this one take you to make?

Leisure Suit Harry

Quote from: Scorpio82 on Sat 14/01/2012 21:39:17
Just finished playing it. Very short, but sweet. There's a lot of puzzles in these few rooms.

Personally, I found that the game asks you to "get closer" more often than not, so that might be the route to go with all your future puzzles. You could have a lot of fun with "get closer" and make it a running gag in the episodes to come.

I look forward to the next episode! How long did this one take you to make?

It took me about 8 months which is way too long. But there were weeks when I didn't touch AGS at all. And it's my very first game (a lot of extra work, looking for the right command,...)

Quote from: cosmicr on Sun 15/01/2012 03:45:23
screenshots?
There are 2 screenshots in "Games in Production" and one (of those two) in the games database.

mjomble

Alright, I finished it now :D

Nice game, looking forward to new episodes.

As for the "get closer" thing, I'd also prefer it to just make Jerry automatically walk to the correct hotspot.
You should play Vohaul Strikes Back and Incinerations (they both happen to be fan made Space Quest sequels made with AGS).
And then tell everybody on the planet about them. And off the planet.

LimpingFish

I took the liberty of adding the screens to the first post, so people won't have to search for them.

Game looks good. :)

EDIT: I also modified the thread title so that it matches the GiP one.
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

thios

Looks great!

Quote(I hope it's a good omen that I uploaded the ZIP on Friday 13th   ;D)

It probably wasn't, as the link has been down for a week... ;)

Any chance for a re-upload?

Monsieur OUXX

Hey the game is mentionned in French video Games magazine "Canard PC".

EDIT:

Leisure Suit Harry

Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Thu 09/02/2012 10:18:35
Hey the game is mentionned in French video Games magazine "Canard PC".

EDIT:

Merci Monsieur OUXX. C'est si coooool. :D

ltcolonel97062

Leisure Suit Harry,
Are you going to finish this game fully, or is it going to end up like the game, Time Quest, where we got 2 chapters and then thats it? The guy that WAS working on Time Quest, is named, Chad Goulding, and he quit after doing 2 chapters. Also, how about a walkthrough?

Leisure Suit Harry

Hi itcolonel,
as a matter of fact I had an email-chat with Chad Goulding years ago to thank him for Time Quest which I enjoyed a lot.
The plot of Decisions of the Elders is designed in a way that I can add more chapters. At the moment though I don't have the time (setting up my own business, starting a new job...) but I do hope to be able to continue once...
I think I won't provide a wakthrough. I leave this to the players  ;)
All the best - LSH

mjomble

The game has been reviewed by Adventure Gamers (along with Space Quest: Incinerations):

http://www.adventuregamers.com/article/id,1424/p,2
You should play Vohaul Strikes Back and Incinerations (they both happen to be fan made Space Quest sequels made with AGS).
And then tell everybody on the planet about them. And off the planet.

Baron

Shutupload shows me no love.  Does anyone have a mirror in their inventory?

Leisure Suit Harry

You can also find the game on my recently finalized website for my newly setup business: www.tonundtext.at
Don't get scared by the German site. The game is in English.

arj0n

Leisure Suit Harry

Almost one year has passed since the release of the first part of this game.
In the meanwhile I have added 2 more rooms with lots of new puzzles. I am not sure if I should already upload an extended version of this part 1 or wait for the game to be completed - which might be years away from now.
Problem being: I still spend too much time on drawing. Maybe someone wants to assist me in drawing the backgrounds...

Happy New Year everybody!!

Yours Harry (aka Boston McShew)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk