Donna: Avanger of Blood

Started by an Urpney, Sat 14/01/2012 15:52:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow1000

Ok, now I'm stuck :)

How do I get the password to La Bookery? I don't even know where to start.

Spoiler
the smoking hint says to try getting it from a patron. I assume the guy wandering around is a patron but he's afraid of me
[close]

Any hints of where to start?

SHADOW

Goldmund

Spoiler

Ironically, your signature contains a part of the solution to this puzzle :)

[close]

But if you already know that, then...

Spoiler

is there any way of hearing what he's saying?

[close]

Shadow1000

Quote from: Goldmund on Mon 23/01/2012 01:46:07
Spoiler

Ironically, your signature contains a part of the solution to this puzzle :)

[close]

But if you already know that, then...

Spoiler

is there any way of hearing what he's saying?

[close]

ahhh...good one!

My problem was that when he was on the screen i couldn't do anything but now I see...

Thanks!

SHADOW

Shadow1000

Ok, stuck again!

Spoiler
I spoke to Talko and got the book from the upper storey
[close]

I have no idea what to do now. I took another smoke hint and it's telling me to do things I've already done. help!

SHADOW

Marquillin

I'd like a leg up, but not too overt please.

Quote from: an Urpney on Sat 14/01/2012 15:52:05
Take all of translated "Bander" numbers and use the cypher code in -\+ loop:
2-1=1, 1+2=4, 14-1=13, 4+2=6, 5-1=4, 17+1=18
Final code: 14146418.
Right? Well, wrong.

Spoiler

I seem to be in the same shoes as Urpney once was, and even though I'm more familiar with the English alphabet, I feel like I've hit a wall...

I've come up with 14136420 (the most obvious) and the reverse of the - + sequence seems to be 32152618 (if the numbers being negative has no bearing).  Then I tried using the Cifer key on the number/name(2 1 14 4 5 19) as if there were no longer any two digit numbers (2 1 1 4 4 5 1 9) which of course leaves the last two numbers with either nothing to change them, unless I loop back to the start of the cifer's first two numbers in order to fix them.  I tried both of these (starting with - and with +), and I think I converted everything back to letters as well, but its all wrong entry.
Now, if I do the looping cipher, I'm not sure how to turn over a number (namely the last one) past 9 if I'm just using 1 digit.  Should I carry the one or what?)  

Math has a small threshold of fun for me, so I hope I'm not making it too complicated.

I don't even want to help this kid out anyway, not without more answers about who I'm hacking, I've got enough Euros;  but the plot demands I go on.

P.S. I also noticed that the cifer could be seen as three numbers (13 12 11) in an even decent...is this worth exploring?
[close]

wiseawl

Hi, I am really stuck right now.

(SPOILER)  I'm in the Bookery, and I've passed the first test. I'm on the second test and I understand the pattern and rules for the game. I can't figure out how to win, though. I know I need to reply with a philosopher whose name starts with W, but I don't know where to get that information. I've tried everything, and I can't figure out what to do. I've tried all three conversation options and they all mean I lose the game. (fuck you and uhmm were two options, if you were wondering which question I was on.) Can someone tell me what I need to do? Thanks.

Goldmund

Quote from: Marquillin on Mon 23/01/2012 05:02:25
I'd like a leg up, but not too overt please.

Quote from: an Urpney on Sat 14/01/2012 15:52:05
Take all of translated "Bander" numbers and use the cypher code in -\+ loop:
2-1=1, 1+2=4, 14-1=13, 4+2=6, 5-1=4, 17+1=18
Final code: 14146418.
Right? Well, wrong.

Spoiler

I seem to be in the same shoes as Urpney once was, and even though I'm more familiar with the English alphabet, I feel like I've hit a wall...

I've come up with 14136420 (the most obvious) and the reverse of the - + sequence seems to be 32152618 (if the numbers being negative has no bearing).  Then I tried using the Cifer key on the number/name(2 1 14 4 5 19) as if there were no longer any two digit numbers (2 1 1 4 4 5 1 9) which of course leaves the last two numbers with either nothing to change them, unless I loop back to the start of the cifer's first two numbers in order to fix them.  I tried both of these (starting with - and with +), and I think I converted everything back to letters as well, but its all wrong entry.
Now, if I do the looping cipher, I'm not sure how to turn over a number (namely the last one) past 9 if I'm just using 1 digit.  Should I carry the one or what?)  

Math has a small threshold of fun for me, so I hope I'm not making it too complicated.

I don't even want to help this kid out anyway, not without more answers about who I'm hacking, I've got enough Euros;  but the plot demands I go on.

P.S. I also noticed that the cifer could be seen as three numbers (13 12 11) in an even decent...is this worth exploring?
[close]

Spoiler

Ah, I'm afraid my puzzle is too simple for your love for mathematics! :)
The numbers from the name are kept separate.
Spoiler

[close]
[close]

Goldmund

Quote from: wiseawl on Mon 23/01/2012 06:19:05
Hi, I am really stuck right now.

(SPOILER)  I'm in the Bookery, and I've passed the first test. I'm on the second test and I understand the pattern and rules for the game. I can't figure out how to win, though. I know I need to reply with a philosopher whose name starts with W, but I don't know where to get that information. I've tried everything, and I can't figure out what to do. I've tried all three conversation options and they all mean I lose the game. (fuck you and uhmm were two options, if you were wondering which question I was on.) Can someone tell me what I need to do? Thanks.

Spoiler

As you could notice, they have problems with thinking about names starting with one letter. Try to pursue this weakness! :)
[close]

Goldmund

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Mon 23/01/2012 02:40:14
Ok, stuck again!

Spoiler
I spoke to Talko and got the book from the upper storey
[close]

I have no idea what to do now. I took another smoke hint and it's telling me to do things I've already done. help!

SHADOW

Spoiler

Hm, have you got the needed info from him? That is, who has the necklace now?
Have you been to the Feder Square?
Have you talked to Mulkin about the day's happenings?
If so, I don't know, really ;)
Would have to look at your saved game. If you want, you can send it to the address from the game's website.
[close]

Shadow1000

Spoiler

Hm, have you got the needed info from him? That is, who has the necklace now?
[close]

Yes.

Spoiler

Have you been to the Feder Square?
[close]

Yes and I saved and spoke to the reporter.

Spoiler

Have you talked to Mulkin about the day's happenings?
[close]

Yes

Spoiler
If it helps, whenever I speak to him I keep asking him about Gaelish Balsaad
[close]

For most of the game there have been clear goals and where there aren't, you can smoke to find out. Right now there doesn't seem to be anything to do. Nothing to solve or any way to progress.

SHADOW

Goldmund

Ah, I know!

Spoiler

You must've missed the scene in front of Belldog Mall where he clochard drops something into the trashcan.
[close]

Shadow1000

Quote from: Goldmund on Mon 23/01/2012 21:20:59
Ah, I know!

Spoiler

You must've missed the scene in front of Belldog Mall where he clochard drops something into the trashcan.
[close]

Yup, that did it. I remember seeing the guy briefly but didn't notice what he "deposited".

Thank you

SHADOW

wiseawl

I was on day four, and just entered the antique shop. I didn't know what to do about the alarm, and then I heard sirens and saw police cars pull up. At that point the game crashed. I tried to load my previous save from day four, but got this error:

An error has occurred. Please contact the game author for support, as this is likely to be a scripting error and not a bug in AGS.
(ACI version 3.02.1024)
Error: SetActiveInventory: invalid inventory number 0

Was there something I was supposed to do that I missed that set this off? I have a save from day three but don't want to continue if the game will crash again.

Goldmund

wiseawl -- Thank you for the info.

Do you remember how did the game "crash" actualy when you saw police cars? This was a "game over" scene, like those when you get killed or whatever, should take you to the screen where you can undo, restart and quit.

If your saved game got corrupted, it's no problem, as your entering the shop saved your game automatically for the needs of the undo system.
1) in My Documents, find the folder Donna Avenger of Blood
2) make a copy of the file called "agssave.105"
3) rename the copy to "agssave.001" (or 002, or 003, or 004, or 005)
4) if you choose to restore game from the menu, the game with your position in the shop would be saved under the name "undo"

Sorry for that.

wiseawl

I actually can't remember if I saw the game over screen or not. I think it might have flashed for a moment before the crash. I pressed the space bar because I knew I had lost and wanted to try again (after realizing it was a timed puzzle).

wiseawl

Also, what you suggested worked for me, thank you.
Could you give me a hint though? Do I just have to keep guessing which numbered shelf it is on? Or is there some kind of clue I am missing?

Edit: Okay, I have the hint about finding a filing system but I can't find one in the room. I'm really bad at timed puzzles. I always panic.

sthomannch

Took me a few attempts: About the shelf
Spoiler

Look in the book on the counter in the foreground, next to the cash register
[close]
Not enough time? Then try this
Spoiler

There is no switch to silence the alarm, so use brute force: hit the siren
[close]

wiseawl

Thank you, sthomannch!

Edit: Okay, I feel really stupid, but I got the necklace and now I can't figure out how to distract the police men. I know I need to find a 'sexy lady' to distract them but the Dream Ladies are of no use. I've gone to every other woman in the game and none of them can help either. If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be awesome thanks!

Shadow1000

Quote from: Goldmund on Sun 22/01/2012 12:45:24

Spoiler
You have to try to climb inside first to be able to ask a sexy girl for help.
[close]

I see the
Spoiler
open window and the ivy
[close]
but no apparent way to get there.

SHADOW

Goldmund

Hah, Shadow and wiseawl, you're at the same moment it seems ;-)

Ok.

Spoiler

- You can enter the  hotel only when the cops have moved to the left side with their car. If they're on the right, it's too early.

- You don't need to find the distraction until Donna says so! This is what you get for reading the hints section ;-)

- You have to try to enter the hotel first.

- By INTERACTing with the ivy grate under the open window.
[close]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk