Deadly Sunsets

Started by doimus, Mon 16/01/2012 16:33:56

Previous topic - Next topic

doimus

Hi everybody!

My name is Duje and I've lurked around here for a past decade or so...
Now I finally decided to actively participate in forum discussions, and what's a better way to do it than by announcing a brand new game!?  ;D

**** The Deadly Sunsets: A Sam Preston Adventure ****

A point'n'click adventure set in post-war 1940s. Player takes the role of Sam Preston, private investigator, in a classic noir tale of DECEPTION!, INTRIGUE!, PASSION! and MURDER!

Here are some teaser character concepts:

The game is still in very early stages - story is finished, I'm currently working on graphics and AGS scripting.
Partial reason of me introducing it this early, and actually choosing AGS to make it in, is because of the community. I'm counting on you guys to helpnag me through this!

It is intended as a commercial product and estimated release date is late 2012 (so you can still play it before the world ends).

Of course, I will be looking for beta testers and even some active team members. Background artists and musicians are especially welcome to check in as I still haven't entirely filled those roles. Proof readers will be needed too once it reaches final stages, since English isn't my native language.

So, I'll try to keep this thread regularly updated, and you can ask whatever you wish, obviously!  I'll be more than pleased to discuss everything and anything game-related.

Cheers!
Duje

---------------------------------------

Update 16.1.2012: Game Screenshots

This is current state of the game. Since in-game screenshots are mandatory, here they are. Yeah, I love to work in dark tones (and background artists are not cheap!).

Generaly, game is in its infancy, but some scenes are playable, such as this one, where two main characters meet.
... OK, some of the dialog lines here might have been modified slightly, for advertising purposes!   ;D
(You might want to download these, as I'm replacing them for shure, as soon as I get proper background art. Then later, when the game becomes global phenomenon, you could blackmail me.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update 27.6.2012.

Long overdue update is finally here! Game is still going, albeit slower than expected (and I always wondered why it takes sooo long for people to finish seemingly simple adventure games).

There is a new team member who's doing backgrounds and GUI: Martin Arvidsson, fellow AGSer, who you might know from his game Story of Joijo.

I'm adding some proper screenshots with GUI and finished backgrounds, and some more character sprites.

SarahLiz

Welcome!  From the small bit of info you've provided, it seems very interesting and I love your character drawings.  But if you don't quickly insert at least two screenshots of the actual game, they will lock this thread up tight!

Just wanted to warn ya.  Good luck on your game, sounds promising!   :)

Sarah

Darth Mandarb

Yes, please read the forum rule and update your [first] post accordingly.  You need at least two IN-GAME screenshots.

And welcome to the forums!  From this teaser graphics I'm expecting greatness here!  Just please update soon 'cause I don't want to lock something with this much promise ;)

doimus

Updated, according to forum rules. There is no rule on how finished screenshots have to be, right?!  8)

(and note to self: in nine years of lurking, you coud've read" forum rules" post! Duh!)

Mati256

Your artwork is amazing, at first I thought the game was going to look like that.
But I love your real sprites, they are really amazing!
Good luck!
My Blog! (En Español)

Anian

40s check
noir check
cool art check
fellow Croat check
...well that's everything.  ;D
I don't want the world, I just want your half

Darth Mandarb

Okay okay... you're sneakin' by on a technicality here pal!! ;)

I'm gonna let this slide because the quality of the teaser and the sprites in the [incomplete] backgrounds are stellar and I am in love with the post-WWII era.  (I have a game sitting on the back-burner that takes place in the same era... a murder-mystery-train game).

I swear I've seen that character sheet before too... had you posted it at Deviant art maybe?  I know I've seen it before!

ThreeOhFour

Those character concepts are so stunning and evocative.

Hope the game turns out just as pretty!

WHAM

Can't say I'm a fan of the backgrounds, but the characters look just fine and dandy.
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Sane Co.

Just like everyone else I like the characters. work a bit more on the backgrounds.

Sslaxx

Are people really missing the point over backgrounds? Darth didn't...
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

poc301

WOW lol :)

The backgrounds are placeholders people!  His initial post said he is looking for more team members, such as background artists.

This game looks awesome.  Very nice art style.

-Bill

Technocrat

I like the look of this! Especially the concepts, are you planning on having comic-book style storytelling scenes?

BaptisteTheFool

Oh man, I'm salivating.  Love the style.

Chicky

Sounds great!

Those sprites looks a little busy though, the chick has serious square face in the second mockup.

I love the high res, why not go with that?

doimus

Thanks everybody for the comments!

Quote from: Chicky on Wed 18/01/2012 14:09:56
Those sprites looks a little busy though, the chick has serious square face in the second mockup.
I love the high res, why not go with that?

Sprites themselves are WIP, and I agree that they should perhaps be simplified a bit... it's on the to-do list...
Regarding high res - money is the issue obviously... High res animation costs exponentially more than pixels and often looks exponentially worse too!
And TBH, I prefer low res graphics anyway. It makes your brain imagine/interpolate more stuff.

Quote from: Darth Mandarb on Tue 17/01/2012 01:38:21
I swear I've seen that character sheet before too... had you posted it at Deviant art maybe?  I know I've seen it before!

You're right!  ;) Character concepts are by an extremelly talented artist that goes by the nickname Lord Garvals:  http://garvals.deviantart.com/
Some kick-ass graphics in his portfolio!

Haggis

Quote from: doimus on Thu 19/01/2012 15:45:57
And TBH, I prefer low res graphics anyway. It makes your brain imagine/interpolate more stuff.

Couldn't agree more with this!! Even with your placeholder backgrounds above, my mind is already interpreting them as the seedy offices of a PI, dim lighting, overflowing ash tray, thick smoky haze drifting chokingly past the almost fully closed blinds, the selection of macs hanging on the coatstand, the overly large telephone on the desk, the femme fatale teasingly perched on the edge of the table...  :o

I've gone too far...

doimus

Finally, an update! :)
Edited the first post.

Sslaxx

Liking the look of that update there! Looks like this one is going to be a lot of fun to play. Multiple playable characters, by any chance?
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

doimus

Quote from: Sslaxx on Wed 27/06/2012 10:55:35
Liking the look of that update there! Looks like this one is going to be a lot of fun to play. Multiple playable characters, by any chance?

Thanks!

Multiple playable characters... kind of. There will be couple of playable characters, but in different, self-contained, sequences.
There is only one playable character at any moment, and that's mostly Sam Preston, PI.

ThreeOhFour

Absolutely splendid art design! Bravo!

arj0n

Just WOW Duje, love the detailed style!
Your screenshots give me a bit of a Agatha Christie feeling ;)

Snarky

Hard-boiled P.I.'s, tough dames, run-down city blocks and a Pacific, West Coast setting reminds you of Agatha Christie?

arj0n

No, especially the last screenshot gave me that feeling...

Tramponline

Stunning artwork, doimus!!
I love where your are going with this, good sir.
Especially in combination with your setting (Snarky summed it up
real nice!). I'm sold!

Should you be in need of beta-testers, send me a
PM! Anytime! I literally do NOT care how long from now that
will be! :cheesy:

Matti

This looks great, nice work!

cianty

Wow.. beautiful artwork there. I really like that style. Can't wait!
ca. 70% completed

Mati256

Just awesome! Can't wait to play it!
Please keep us updated.
My Blog! (En Español)

Eric

Duje -- This game looks lovely, and I'm back-burnering a noirish P.I. game I've been working on simply because it looks like yours would blow mine out of the proverbial water!

In what style and medium of music are you interested for the game?

Adder

Duje, it's looking great so far.  The more up-to-date backgrounds are very evocative. Funnily enough I also kinda like the place holders - there's something of a kind of old fashioned virtual reality feel happening in them. ;)

Keep up the good work, look forward to seeing this progress.

doimus

Thanks everybody for feedback! It's extremely motivational, thanks again!

Quote from: Arj0n on Wed 27/06/2012 11:56:20
Your screenshots give me a bit of a Agatha Christie feeling ;)

Well, this sent me on a introspective brainstorming. As others said, there should be zero A.C. in there, BUT!, as a kid I was heavily influenced by British crime TV series. Poirot, Sherlock Holmes & others. So, probably some of that came through when designing characters, their backstories and motives. Examining them now, there might be something, uhm... agathachristian about them.
But with heavy dose of post-war consumerism and brutal capitalism of an emerging world-power, of course. It's all about greed and money, you see.

Quote from: Eric on Thu 28/06/2012 06:53:52
In what style and medium of music are you interested for the game?

Great question, and one I've been procrastinating the most about. Music is currently 0% completed and I mainly know what kind of music I DON'T want. And that's period-correct but genre unfit big-band and upbeat jazz music. None of that.

What I think noir soundtrack should sound like is atmospheric, non-intrusive, ambiental style. Period correct instruments should be present, but I wouldn't mind synths as well. Yeah, I know - Blade Runner, Vangelis - but that music is timeless and sounds as good as it did in 1980-something. And it fits so good in adventure/rpg gameplay.

And it all should have the nostalgic effect of iMuse on SoundBlaster 2.0 in 1992, only better! :D

Quote from: Adder on Thu 28/06/2012 11:28:39
Duje, it's looking great so far.  The more up-to-date backgrounds are very evocative. Funnily enough I also kinda like the place holders - there's something of a kind of old fashioned virtual reality feel happening in them. ;)

That's what I say! What one might see as 21st century crappy pixel art, someone other might see as beautiful image of the future! In 1982 that is. It's always that damned time-space continuum! Meh.

Vince Twelve

Wow.  This looks amazing!  If the quality of the story matches the quality of those graphics, this should be a killer game!  Keeping an eye on this one.

Kweepa

When is Wadjet Eye publishing this?
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

EchosofNezhyt

http://indiegames.com/2012/06/screenshots_for_the_deadly_sun.html

I've never been a fan of these types of settings (I also don't like space stuff, Haha save the hate messages for my inbox.)
All jokes aside, The art alone has me interested and it seems to be shaping up nicely, The indoor backgrounds look especially awesome.
Goodluck!

JSH

Wow, how could I have missed this? Looks great, love the art and the setting! Keeping an eye on this for sure.

sawyer

Matti

Sawyer, it's a game in production and it was last updated in 2012, so..

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk