Entrapment

Started by Tenacious Stu, Tue 24/01/2012 09:39:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Tenacious Stu

Presents

"My name is Sam Drake... and for the past few months, someone has been trying to frame me for murder."

Sam Drake keeps waking up in Hotel rooms with the bodies of dead girls in the room and the police never far away. He thinks that someone is secretly drugging him and then trying to get him framed for murder. He has had some lucky escapes, but this time, the killer has made it harder for him to get away.

Play as Sam Drake as he wakes up in the seedy Dent Hotel and help him discover the identity of his stalker/serial killer and escape from certain doom. The clock... is ticking.

Entrapment was originally available for the AGS Bake Sale, which helped to raise over $4000 for charity. Now it is available for you to play for FREE!

Screenshots:

The main character, Sam Drake, checks his mail (Exciting)

Sam Drake contemplating a grubby toilet

Game Features

• Dramatic, Crime/Thriller story written by Stuart Lilford
  • Humor (including sarcasm)
  • Multiple Endings
  • Retro Art Style
  • Original Music by Brian Carnrike
  • Around 45 Minutes of gripping adventure gameplay

Entrapment was brought to you by:
Stuart Lilford (Tenacious Stu) - Design, Writing, Artwork, Animation, Direction
Brian Carnrike (Swordofkings128) - Music

"Disturbing modern day thrillers are truly rare and even more so when they are as blood-soaked as Entrapment, the latest short yet well-made release by Scared Square Games"

"Entrapment is a step in an interesting direction [and] should be commended for even attempting a high drama, psychological horror story in a tiny point and click game."

For more information on Entrapment or other Scared Square Games titles, please visit:
www.scaredsquare.com
All Entrapment related blog posts

Scared Square Games

Ponch

A very good game that I had the pleasure of beta testing back in the long-ago days when the bake sale was just beginning. It has two endings (that I know of) and one of the most amazing bathrooms you'll ever see. Play it for just a few minutes and it will draw you right in to it's dark, unsettling world.

Nicely done, Stu.  8)

Tenacious Stu

Quote from: Ponch on Tue 24/01/2012 18:06:37
A very good game that I had the pleasure of beta testing back in the long-ago days when the bake sale was just beginning. It has two endings (that I know of) and one of the most amazing bathrooms you'll ever see. Play it for just a few minutes and it will draw you right in to it's dark, unsettling world.

Nicely done, Stu.  8)

Thanks very much Ponch  ;D

Yup, the game has two endings and thank you for acknowledging the amazingness of the bathroom 8). I hope that people are enjoying the game.

ThreeOhFour

As I said to you in email, I found this a very solid and compelling game. Something to be very proud of, congratulations.

Tenacious Stu

Quote from: ThreeOhFour on Wed 25/01/2012 12:10:49
As I said to you in email, I found this a very solid and compelling game. Something to be very proud of, congratulations.

I am very proud of it  ;D Thank you Ben

Chicky

Hey Stu, finished your game last night! Really enjoyed it, it felt very 'tight', the art was clean and the hotspots were easy to navigate.

I was a little put off by the intro, it seemed a bit too strong, but the rest of the game followed through very well! There were some genuinely funny lines in there (the phone conversation was spot on) and some nice character animations.

Good work!

Swordofkings128

Weeee! I hope everyone likes the music. :D This was a fun one to work on.

Time to go buy some brownies at the AGS Bakesale(still haven't donated yet  :-[)

Tenacious Stu

Quote from: Chicky on Thu 26/01/2012 15:00:53
Hey Stu, finished your game last night! Really enjoyed it, it felt very 'tight', the art was clean and the hotspots were easy to navigate.

I was a little put off by the intro, it seemed a bit too strong, but the rest of the game followed through very well! There were some genuinely funny lines in there (the phone conversation was spot on) and some nice character animations.

Thank you for the kind words  ;D

I admit that the LONG cutscenes are something I would consider as having done wrong in a post-mortem, but I am glad that you enjoyed the humour, art, navigation and animations.

Quote from: Swordofkings128 on Fri 27/01/2012 03:16:51
Weeee! I hope everyone likes the music. :D This was a fun one to work on.

Time to go buy some brownies at the AGS Bakesale(still haven't donated yet  :-[)

Yes! A big thank you to you Swordofkings128 AKA Brian. You did an absolutley superb job with the atmospheric music and helping out with a few OGG conversions. Thanks you very much.

So what did everyone else make of the game? I would love to hear some criticism as well as nice comments. I want to learn from my experiences of working on this game.

Also, has anyone spotted the references to the story within the first half of the game? There are quite a few as I recall, perhaps a clue to who the killer was or a reference to books or movies that may have inspired the story? Any guesses?

Nedshi

Hey, just got the chance to play the new-and-improved bake sale version- great job man!  Looking forward to seeing some more awesome games soon, and let me know if you ever need another tester.

tzachs

I found it to be a really interesting game, with a combination of creepy atmosphere and unexpected humour (which made this even more creepy).
I'll be keeping my eye on your lightbulb!

Tenacious Stu

Quote from: Nedshi on Thu 16/02/2012 06:05:17
Hey, just got the chance to play the new-and-improved bake sale version- great job man!  Looking forward to seeing some more awesome games soon, and let me know if you ever need another tester.

Thanks very much :) I'm not sure when there is going to be another game by us, but I'm glad you enjoyed the final version of the game.

Quote from: tzachs on Mon 20/02/2012 18:08:17
I found it to be a really interesting game, with a combination of creepy atmosphere and unexpected humour (which made this even more creepy).
I'll be keeping my eye on your lightbulb!

Thanks Tzachs! Yeah, I originally planned not to have humor in the game due to the tone, but as I started writing dialogue, humor just seemed to come out. I mean, it's an Adventure Game! You need humor! I'm glad you found it funny. Any parts in particular?

I'm still waiting for some in-depth feedback. I was hoping that someone, somewhere was going to review all of the Bake Sale games, but I haven't been able to find any. I'd love to hear some more comments people  ;) Thanks again to anyone who purchased the Bake Sale. Over $4000 for Charity, that's really impressive  :D

Tenacious Stu

In case anyones interested, I wrote a quick piece on:

10 Things That Inspired Entrapment

on my (still under construction) blog

I mention a few AGS games in there.

Enjoy.

PS. I'd still like to see some more feedback on the game, especially negative stuff  ;)

straydogstrut

A nice list of inspiring media, thanks for sharing ;D  I see a lot of my favourites here, except horror films as i'm a big feardie! :'(

I would've commented on your blog but for some reason Blogger seems determined to get me to make a new blog when signing in with my Google account (I closed my Blogger blog when I moved to Wordpress) and there wasn't a name/url option..

I've *shock* *horror* not found time to seriously play any of the BakeSale games yet but will be sure to return with feedback for you when I do. Entrapment was a big highlight of AdventureX for me :)

Tenacious Stu

Oh yeah, I probably should mention that the list contains MASSIVE SPOILERS. So sorry about that Straydog, but to anyone who HAS played the game, hopefully you will understand the list a little better.

Quote from: straydogstrut on Tue 27/03/2012 20:30:27
I've *shock* *horror* not found time to seriously play any of the BakeSale games yet but will be sure to return with feedback for you when I do. Entrapment was a big highlight of AdventureX for me :)

Thank you  :P

straydogstrut

Quote from: Tenacious Stu on Tue 27/03/2012 20:35:31
Oh yeah, I probably should mention that the list contains MASSIVE SPOILERS.

Yeah.. I tried to dump that information as soon as I read it, furiously focusing on the pink soap..

Still, i'm interested to see how you've pulled it off..

Ah you've twisted my arm, I have to play it right now to find out, no excuses!

straydogstrut

Thoroughly enjoyed it and here's a little review for you (my blog is still undergoing a facelift so apologies if some pages act a bit 'funky')

I tried to cover good and bad points - in my opinion - but I hope I wasn't too harsh. I *am* very impressed with the final product; you've done yourself proud :)

Tenacious Stu

It's been a while...

After a long period of time since the original AGS Bake Sale, I have finally updated Entrapment and made it available for the world to play for free. I hope I don't get in trouble for digging up this old thread, but I thought it was pointless to start a new one. Entrapment has now been added to the AGS database too.

Cassiebsg

Hey.

Thanks for making this game freeware! :)
I just downloaded and played it, really nice and cool sound track, very fitting.

Unfortunately I had suspected who the killer was from the moment I read your synopsis above (and somehow hoped I was wrong)...

If you really want some bad criticism, then I have a couple points...
Spoiler

Basically, they aren't really story related or puzzle related, but art related. I find it odd that the Hotel has a strategically placed shaft just to run the cables up to the roof. And was kind of disappointed that the recording was seen from the players  view angle, rather from the camera's angle! Was it to save time into making another room?
[close]

As others say, the intro cut scene was a bit too long, and dialog between far/son felt a bit forced and unnatural. And you could have break it, by letting the player start playing by getting the mail. ;)

But overall, really nice game that kept me playing and immersed in the game. I didn't even got to save, so now I need to play it again from the start, just to see the other ending. LOL
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Tenacious Stu

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sun 17/08/2014 16:33:11
Hey.

Thanks for making this game freeware! :)
I just downloaded and played it, really nice and cool sound track, very fitting.

Unfortunately I had suspected who the killer was from the moment I read your synopsis above (and somehow hoped I was wrong)...

If you really want some bad criticism, then I have a couple points...
Spoiler

Basically, they aren't really story related or puzzle related, but art related. I find it odd that the Hotel has a strategically placed shaft just to run the cables up to the roof. And was kind of disappointed that the recording was seen from the players  view angle, rather from the camera's angle! Was it to save time into making another room?
[close]

As others say, the intro cut scene was a bit too long, and dialog between far/son felt a bit forced and unnatural. And you could have break it, by letting the player start playing by getting the mail. ;)

But overall, really nice game that kept me playing and immersed in the game. I didn't even got to save, so now I need to play it again from the start, just to see the other ending. LOL

Hi Cassiebsg

I agree with a lot of the stuff you're saying and I learnt a lot from Entrapment. I wrote about it in my Postmortem, which was featured on Game Career Guide.

Thanks for playing.

Kitty Trouble

A bug:

Spoiler
Once you get the the screwdriver, it is possible to go back and get the bobby pin.
[close]

And the endings:

Spoiler
What about a third ending where if you choose that you didn't trust her, he ends up killing her, too? I thought that was going to happen so I played the ending a third time :P
[close]

But this was a good short game. I
Spoiler
didn't expect the ending actually, like someone else commented.
[close]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk