Problems with mouse in windows 7

Started by mortos, Tue 14/02/2012 00:15:40

Previous topic - Next topic

mortos

Hello all,
I've been attempting to play an oldish AGS game (5 days a stranger, specifically), and it refuses to either take my mouse input or advance cutscenes.  The cursor shows up where my mouse was when i started the game, the first frame shows, and the music plays, but nothing else happens.  the only exception is if i play in windowed mode, in which case, for whatever reason, i can make the cutscene advance if i hold down the bar at the top of the window (where minimize, maximize, quit, etc are).  Once i get to the main menu via this method, i cannot make the cursor move (although it does change from an hourglass to a pointer looking thing).  Thoughts?
Regards,
Mortos ???

mortos

oh for the record i already went on IRC, and then fiddled around with my mouse drivers, the settings for AGS, and compatibility mode.

rlebeau

I am having the exact same problem with Space Quest 4.5 on my Windows 7 x64 laptop.  SQ4.5 uses AGS 2.72.920.  However, I also installed Space Quest 2 VGA, which uses AGS 3.21.1115, and it works just fine.

Oddly, the cutscenes play if I hold down the mouse on the window title bar, or if I right-click on the title bar but don't dismiss the popup menu.

However, AGS is actually responding to the mouse.  When the narrator starts speaking, I can click inside the game window and the speech is skipped, as expected.  Whenever the mouse moves around inside the game window, the game is tracking the cursor position correctly.  But, since the game window is not rendering onscreen correctly, I don't see the cursor moving around the screen unless I force a repaint, such as by switching to another window and then back to the game.  The game cursor is then rendered where the mouse was last seen.

The window just won't render while it is the active foreground window, unless the mouse is held down on the title bar, or right-clicking on the title bar.

Oddly, if I right-click on the window title, choose "Move", and then click inside the game window, everything starts working correctly!  The cutscenes play normally, the game cursor follows the mouse, etc.

Crimson Wizard

I seem to be month late, but if this is what I think it is, then the issue is related to DirectDraw not working properly with modern video drivers. I have exactly same thing since I bought new video card last year. Interestingly, if I run virtual machine with Windows XP, DirectDraw works well there. So it depends on both OS and card/drivers.

With the new games you'd rather set Direct3D mode (or OpenGL with most recent version).

If you are playing older games, which do not have Direct3D and OpenGL options, you can get acwin.exe from the most recent AGS installation, copy it to game's folder and run instead of game's exe. To open game setup with acwin.exe run "acwin.exe --setup" from command line (or make a batch script with same command for convenience).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk