The future of AGS III - The plan

Started by Wyz, Thu 15/03/2012 00:37:51

Previous topic - Next topic

2dMatty

Engine-wise I think people need to start to look at getting ags titles running for iOS and Android

Seen some Android work in this space and I'd be happy to devote some time looking at getting stuff running well on iOS/Mac

Alan v.Drake

Yeah, let's just wait... those two poor fellows working on the code surely don't need help or anything. ::)

- Alan

monkey0506

For the record, I haven't been around much lately, but I'm not doing nothing*. I'm working on trying to get a Steam related bug fixed for Dave which may or may not prove to be related to the AGSteam plugin, and I'm working on some other code that ultimately will probably be useless to the main codebase of AGS (because no one's going to want to use it, not because there's no purpose behind it). In any case, what I'm doing is vastly improving my personal familiarity with the ins and outs of various aspects of C++, which presumably would be of some benefit, if nothing else I'm doing is. Over the coming weeks I plan to start really ripping into the engine's code and see if I've learned anything after all.

Those of you who are/have worked on refactoring the code, please PM me to let me know who you are. At the moment I only really know of fuzzie, and possibly Alan(?). I could be wrong, but I think Alan's been focusing more on integrating new features vs. refactoring (yes? no?).

*Arguable. :P But at least I'm claiming to be doing something, which is always a good start.

Alan v.Drake

Quote from: monkey_05_06 on Sun 08/04/2012 12:20:39
[...] but I think Alan's been focusing more on integrating new features vs. refactoring (yes? no?).

Yes, since I got employed I've been focusing more on the gamemaking and adding stuff I need to the engine rather than refactoring it.
I had attempted to split down acroom.h into header and code, but the compiler disagreed so vehemently that I had to give up.

- Alan

AGA

I'm too lazy to read through all these threads, but just so you know, I now have admin access to the AGS forums and server.

The new website design implementation is in progress, but has unfortunately been stalled for a long while due to CJ's real life busyness.  However, with my help it will hopefully start to move again soon.

The forums will likely be upgraded to SMF 2.0 eventually, but that will be a fairly time consuming project (porting themes and plugins and custom hacks and such), so don't hold your breath.

If people have requests for the forum, or community ideas you want me to bring to CJ's attention, do let me know.  If somebody wants to TLDR the whole discussion to date that'd be especially helpful.

Alan v.Drake

Congrats AGA. Perhaps the end of the world is really drawing near :)

TLDR: Wyz said we needed two new boards, one for the developers working on the code and one for users asking stuff about the codebase. Or so he wrote on his plan.

- Alan

straydogstrut

Slightly longer TLDR ;)

• Website should be updated - fix/remove broken features like world map/member sites - or release new site (95% complete)
  • Website and forums not being maintained without CJ - AGA now has admin control
  • Wiki and AGS Archives should be made more prominent, integrated with the rest of the site
  • New forums needed for dev talk and more mods to police them.
  • Two, not necessarily conflicting, ideas on the way the project should be led: the community is king vs the code is king
  • Involve the community as much as possible - feature requests, bug reports, opinion polls

Project split over chronological phases which are briefly:

• New boards, stickies, public goals
  • Dev website including outline, source, bug tracker, documentation, task list
  • Feature requests public and ordered by popularity (voted up/down by community)
  • Organised meetings between developers
  • Agree coding conventions and project guidelines
  • Refactor the engine and editor code (engine first)
  • Assign and tackle bugs and feature requests
  • Public release - input and feedback from community
  • As above, repeat to fade, and evaluation
  • Tweak development process as needed
  • Focus switch to AGS 4.0, okay to break compatibility with older games
See RickJ's post for a further breakdown.

Considerations

Licensing - AGS Engine 3.x and Editor have been made public under Artistic Licence 2.0. The 2.x engine and Native subsystem of the editor remain unreleased as of Feb 2012.  Code worked on by community considered the original (with CJ's blessing), everything else treated as distinct from AGS.

Integration with ScummVM - Either refactor old branch or create platform specific builds. Mention of adopting the back-end/front-end approach of the ScummVM team. Alyssa Milburn (fuzzie) working on AGS engine port for ScummVM and has completed refactoring the code.

Portability - Engine should be ported to as many platforms as possible. Editor on at least the major desktop systems

Choice of library - Allegro5 / SDL - should suit AGS licensing (ie. freely distributable with AGS), be portable, lightweight and actively supported

Encryption/DRM - More trouble than its worth, simplest route would be a third party plugin

AGA

Right, I'll start looking at the site stuff tomorrow.  The dev / community stuff you'll have to fight out among yourselves.

straydogstrut

Great! I would point out that what is above is mostly from Wyz's plan document which was a proposal (and a rather good one) but not an agreed plan of action. Still, fixing bits of the website/forums wouldn't hurt imo :D

SinSin

With all thats going on in just this thread its a wonder how the heck CJ got here in the first place. My brain hurts just reading it all  (maybe because i have spent too much time away these last few years )

I know I am useless at code, but I care enough to want to know whats going to happen. In fact what is happening? Whos doing what? And where the hell is my ham sandwich?

I read Wyz' plan (kudos) but why do I feel like I should be doing more to help.

Currently working on a project!

AGA

Okay, so the forums structure has been changed quite a lot now.  This is going according to a plan that's been worked out by the moderators, but hopefully it'll meet everyone's needs.

Alan v.Drake

timofonic

Quote from: Alan v.Drake on Thu 12/04/2012 22:54:46
SO IT BEGINS...

Look at it...

It's a snail race! ;)

It seems we need a Indiana Jones to locate AGSNative...

What about merging all the AGS runtime forks into one? Why using that ugly Gitorious instead the prettier and more comfortable GitHub?

A big square with the best winners of the AGS awards should be made, promoting those games to the rest and gaining recognition. Then a link to the more details.

What about making the AGS Foundation? This can solve the donations issue, so people can donate money used for maintaining stuff and prizes for awards (so motivate game developers to participate). Maybe a kickstarter-like system could be nice to do, to promote very ellaborated commercial games using the AGS engine. The foundation could be done in UK or Germany, the last one is the country where it seems adventure games are still considerably popular and there are many benefits (but you need to raise a high quantity of money, look at The Document Foundation case).

timofonic

Quote from: Alan v.Drake on Thu 10/05/2012 05:42:19
Quote from: timofonic on Thu 10/05/2012 04:45:50
It seems we need a Indiana Jones to locate AGSNative...

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=45990.msg617428;boardseen#new

:=

- Alan

WOW!

The miracle has happened!

Now it would be even nicer if he releases older versions or the entire VSS repository dump :D

Sometimes dreams come true, sometimes...

monkey0506

What's ironic timmoff is that you didn't even realize that you posted on the same day that CJ posted, with more insults.

And for the record, the old source has nothing to do with improving the current engine or editor, which you have stated as one of your goals in these inflammatory posts you like to toss around.

Notably this is lesser than some of your older posts, but still you're not helping just by accusing everyone else. (wrong)

TheMagician

Just a quick question: are there still plans to couple AGS with ScummVM?

timofonic

Quote from: monkey_05_06 on Thu 10/05/2012 18:12:21
What's ironic timmoff is that you didn't even realize that you posted on the same day that CJ posted, with more insults.

I LOVE YOU TOO! ;)

Also, timmoff sounds so intimate and affrectionate... It remembers me of "Tim off". Thanks for name it that way, my darling...

And for the record, the old source has nothing to do with improving the current engine or editor, which you have stated as one of your goals in these inflammatory posts you like to toss around.

It has different reasons, like historical or better check of backwards compatibility. This maybe can be helpful for the fuzzie's quest on implementing AGS into ScummVM.

Notably this is lesser than some of your older posts, but still you're not helping just by accusing everyone else. (wrong)

I'm very happy our relationship is improving, love is in the air...

Bjyman

Can we get 3D support and the return of AGS for dummies?

Dualnames

All I have to say is that, if Wyz's move triggered the change of the forums then kudos. I've read the plan ("yeah some months late") and I feel it's wonderful. It could work as a wonderful guideline.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk