Think the website is a great start for budding guitarists.
In my early guitar years (mid 60's) there was nothing except listening to records or finding the odd old school music teacher. I did have a few mail order lessons from BBC1 session musician Jack Wilcox. Of course Bert Weedons 'Play in a day' helped.
No matter how much you learn, or think you know about the guitar (or other instr), try comping like the old guys used to, or standing out front to deliver a blinding 15 minute guitar solo. Not easy. If you have a natural ability and your MOJO is on form then the skies the limit. I've been there and done it (80% of the time. The other 20% was crap).
I've seen too much focus on technique rather than spirit/heart.
But you do need to know some basics... That's where sites like yours comes in.
My photo is circa 2002 from a gig in Gravesend Kent.
'With your feet in the wishing well'