Forum upgrade

Started by AGA, Wed 25/04/2012 23:47:12

Previous topic - Next topic

pcj

It would also be nice if I could actually view my own profile rather than be forced to look at it in edit mode.
Space Quest: Vohaul Strikes Back is now available to download!

Domino

I have already mentioned the centered text. CJ says it will have to be fixed. I will get used to this eventually. :-)

Gilbert

It seems that when you click the "new" button of a thread the first unread post of the thread is not displayed in another colour like before. I actually rely on this to determine which posts are new to me. (I know that upon clicking "new" the thread will be positioned such that such post would be the first on screen, but for some reasons I don't pay attention to this most of the time.

Darth Mandarb

Quote from: Stupot+ on Thu 26/04/2012 01:14:58Nice work AGA.  I like the colours.  Apart from the centered text and dead space I haven't got a problem.  Can't wait for the new smilies to be introduced though.  The old ones look so out of place.  I may have dreamed this, but did I read that we'll be able to have larger avatars?  That would be cool. Although saying that, it would force even more dead space into the posts.

1) Can somebody take a screenshot and show me what you mean by "dead space"?  I tried to keep it to a minimum!  Are you referring to all the white-space up near the 'news' announcements?  When there aren't news announcements that area is MUCH more condensed!

2) You weren't dreaming!  The avatar sizes will be increased to 120x120 (double the current size).  It really doesn't add more spacing to the side though so don't worry about that!

Quote from: nihilyst on Thu 26/04/2012 01:21:12Looks great. Although I can't help but think that the
Quotequote-box
should look as if it went into the panel instead of coming out of it (or have no graphical effect on it at all). Now it looks like a button and I'm constantly trying to click it :D

Yeah, it actually is the same CSS as the buttons!  I did it quickly, liked how it looked, so didn't change it!  But it's an easy fix/change.

Quote from: nihilyst on Thu 26/04/2012 01:21:12I'd favour another theme where the width of the board is yet smaller.
There are BIG ideas in the works for themes... stay tuned :)

There are several things that will be changing in the days to come as we fine-tune the new layout.

Gilbert

There is also no quick link to the wiki atm. (I think we should have this in the new AGS main page too.)
Also, my forum time is messed up initially, making my time 1 hour ahead of what should be. My Time Zone is GMT +8 but we don't have daylight saving here, which is possibly the cause. After clicking "auto detect" in profile setting it's changed to 7, which shows the correct time now. I think it will be incorrect again some time later.

Darth Mandarb

Quick list of missing/wrong things I've come across:

• all text appears to be centered (board headings, titles, posts, etc)
  • the 'new' image (for new threads) isn't updated (I think this is because the language isn't selected the same as on your server)
  • forum width appears to be 95% (was set at 98% on the test server)
  • forum links (right above posts) are acting very strange (I think an anchor tag was left unclosed or something)
  • categories/boards order is way off
  • footer CSS is off (the blocks are being covered by a white box)
  • normal_post_locked.gif isn't updated like the rest (yabb/themes/ags/images/topic/normal_post_locked.gif) - should be in the .zip I sent!
  • news area CSS is different from what we had on the test server (might be intentional?)

I'll keep looking!  But for the most part the upgrade appears to have gone extremely well!  Great job and thanks for the hard work!!

Eric

One suggestion, since you guys are about to be editing a few things, is to hide the version number of SMF that's running. It's been my experience that few people care about versions of CMS/forum/webapps unless they're looking for exploits.

Ponch

The centered text is throwing me for a loop. But mostly I miss all the little Rogers.  :-\

Marquillin

It's a nice bouncy kind of look, yet I hope you return the banners that show off the range of AGS game graphics, or else make new ones in that theme.

Hmm, no blue mug either?

Ryan Timothy B

There seems to be a big influx of spam lately.

Gilbert

Possibly the registration quiz part isn't ready yet.

Armageddon

Woooooaaahhh, there's a rating system now. :( That's no fun...

Ryan Timothy B

There are some serious issues with the few divs showing up as a link with the finger cursor and all. For instance, the whole Search div lights up all the text within that div as your mouse is over it. Very overkill and confusing for no reason at all - making me think it was all a link. Also all the board divs on the forum index show up as a link as well, but don't change any text or the background nor act as a link to enter that board. (edit: I've discovered it highlights the AGS Forums text at the top of the index. Also the graphics and text indicating what a new post, read post, etc look like highlight as well. Also a blank button appears above the "Mark all messages as read" button)

I'm using Firefox 12.

I also don't overly like the font used in the code display. Mostly just when it's bold. It's too horizontally squished together, grouping characters making it hard to read. But also happens when it's not bold as well, it just isn't as bad.

Also is there any chance the Smilies Alt text could show the text format along with the name? eg:  Wink  ;)

Edit: I like these being at the top:
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Could it be possible to add a: Show threads created by you.
It's a feature I've always wanted.
I also like how you've incorporated the "by user" search feature (which could be used as the way to find your own threads, but I'd still prefer hard linking).

Eric

Quote from: Iceboty V7000a on Thu 26/04/2012 05:29:00
Possibly the registration quiz part isn't ready yet.

You're just jealous you didn't think of the game DATE SINGLE RUSSIAN WOMEN first.

Alan v.Drake

Woah, a new tide of modernity is storming AGS.

-Alan

AGA

Sorry about all the problems.  There were some difficulties when I was upgrading the forums yesterday, which ate into my time, and stopped me having time to actually sort a lot of things out (like the registration quiz, and CAPTCHAs).

arj0n

Avatar links are shown through the post: example

kaputtnik

Haha, centered text!  := := := - and at least Larry is still here!

But the design looks great, clean and stylish. Hello, new forum!
I, object.

kaputtnik

Not sure if this is my browser (Mozilla 11) or the forums, but the category path links have stopped working (as in  AGS Forums » AGS Development » Bug Reports & Site / Forum Reports)
I, object.

Fitz

Yeah, everything looks so clean and bright now :) I don't mind the centered text (for now), but the AGS Games section being near the bottom of the page still looks weird. But what's really creepy is the influx of spammers. "Cause of Whitney Huston's death" in Completed Games? Really? We should have some adventure games related question in the registration form. I saw this idea implemented in a fun way on some math/science forum - they had the new users solve some equation and give the solution in the box. That sort of thing would maybe keep Russian marital services and things like that away from this board.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk