Need some help with poison spell icon

Started by DrSlash, Sat 12/05/2012 07:39:35

Previous topic - Next topic

DrSlash

So here it is -

I'm sure that it can be much better, but I just don't know what isn't right with it  :-X

Here are Fireball & Healing icons as an example:

PS New smileys are just awesome ;)

Darius Poyer

I think the visual language is unclear in regards to the poison spell.

The icon depicts a bottle with a gas pluming out of it, to me that reads as an alchemy-related ability, something like a poison bottle ability. Something practical rather than mystical.

I'd suggest going over this, there are some poison icon near the bottom that could inspire you. http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixelart/44976.htm

LTGiants2000

Yea, I think something with the green (or red maybe) poisonous bubbles....if not then something like skull & crossbones. Green skull and crossbones maybe? Just a couple other ideas.

LTGiants2000

I would immediately know what it is (I've been playing these for 30 years) so I like it...let's see if anyone else has feedback.

DrSlash

LTGiants2000

...without rereading your posts or thinking too hard, my first guesses would be healing/health, poison and fireball.

DrSlash

Quote from: LTGiants2000 on Wed 16/05/2012 18:04:54
...without rereading your posts or thinking too hard, my first guesses would be healing/health, poison and fireball.
These icons work perfectly then  ;)

Victor6

Your biggest problem is that you're not using the available space. There's huge dead areas around the icons (and the interface by the look of things).
For example proposes, here's the equivalent icon from wotes;-
- resized x3
The other issue is that the contrast on the icons is rather poor, they're more like decals designed to blend into the background. Try adding some lighting to increase the contrast and pick out the individual details on the skull. Your other option is to use transparent highlights (or glow) around the icons to give them a visible border between them and the background. AGS has (had) a few quirks with alpha channels and gui's, however you can get around that by including the background as part of the sprite.

DrSlash

To Victor6 -
Thanks for your feedback  ;) Here is a new version

LTGiants2000

Def looks better to me, more full and good shading. I'll leave it to the pro's for the suggestions.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk