Half Life 3 rant

Started by deltamatrix, Sat 12/05/2012 10:03:20

Previous topic - Next topic

deltamatrix

There is no Half Life 2 Episode 3 or Half Life 3 in development and never will be!

No I have no proof or sources to back that up but after reading that yet again there will be no E3 announcements this year and many numerous u-turns and what seems like a massive scale of indecisiveness, I have decided to accept that the game will never officially exist.

It really does seem like Valve have bitten more than they chew with ambition and cannot handle it. I wouldn't be surprised if they will cancel it after wasting a lot of money on it and still not have gotten anywhere - this is starting to remind me a lot of Duke Nukem Forever now, an ambitious project that we all know bit more than it chew and spat out crap in the end.
I also recently read a similar article about the same thing happening for the Black Mesa Source project, despite them now say it is due for release soon (fingers crossed!). Also I saw very vividly on the Hero6 project about over-ambition and poor management - and guess what, it failed!

I have no proof on any of the above for Valve and the future of the Half Life series but I have strong suspicions. You may think I've gone a bit crazy but I think it'd be crazier to maintain excitement for a game that is long overdue and will probably be crap now! (Duke Nukem Forever, Simon the Sorceror 3D.....all disappointing sequels)
BAD WOLF - TORCHWOOD - MR SAXON - THE BEES ARE DISAPPEARING - PANDORICA - RIVER SONG

Stupot

Wasn't the time gap between HL1 and HL2 pretty big? I think íf Valve had no intention of making another HL game they probably would have said so by now.

Armageddon

There is no Half-Life 3, only Episode Three. You lose hope too quickly my friend. I've personally been modding Hl2 for many years and I've come to know VALVe quite well. Bioshock: Infinite was announced way too early, now it's pushed to 2013. Remember HL2? Again announced way too early, when it was leaked there was hardly anything. I don't want VALVe to kick out Call f Duty crap every year, I want them to take all the time they need. E3 means nothing, a game can be announced when it's ready.

Chicky

Half-Life 3 is coming, Valve are just waiting for the right time. Half-Life 3 has to be one of the most anticipated sequels in video game history. Hl2 turned 3D gaming on it's head and was a good 5 years ahead of it's time. What do people expect from HL3? They expect the impossible... Photoreal? ARG? VR? Freeman on my freakin' doorstep? If anyone's going to do it it's Gaben.

There is FAR FAR too much community support for Valve and their games, they won't give up and they wont disappoint. We just have to give them time, my money's on a virtual reality console that looks like a HEV suit.  :=

Oh and yes, massive Valve fanboy here.

P.S. - Not a big fan of the episodes, I choose to deny the existance of episode 3 and it's impact on HL3 development.

Jared

I'm pretty sure by this stage Episode 3 would have evolved into a full-blown Half Life 3. As even with Episode 2's late release Valve realised they failed utterly in delivering these titles quick which WAS the entire point of going episodic. Also... look at them. They have aged badly. Valve can't release another glorified add-on for Half Life 2 and not get laughed out of the industry. If we get any more Half Life it will be a whole new numeral.

That said, this is disappointing news, as Valve had at the very least hinted strongly that there was an E3 announcement/event coming. Even though to me it looked likely to be Meet the Pyro and the released of Source Filmmaker which isn't even a game, it had me looking forward to June. Now I'll just be trying to look forward to things that AREN'T on Valve Time...

Armageddon

Nope, Episode 3, they promised 3 episodes. They will keep using Source because that's what VALVe does, it looks fine anyways, CS:GO, DOTA2 and Portal 2 are still using it. I wouldn't be disappointed a bit if it's just as long as EP2. That said I would feel sick if they stuck with the same viewmodels and animations from HL2. The Episodes have aged quite well actually, being among a few games that use HDR properly. So yeah, EPISODE 3!!! :-D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk