Captain Disaster in: Death Has A Million Stomping Boots

Started by CaptainD, Mon 21/05/2012 19:37:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Volcan

Thanks for the info, LTGiants2000.

To Darth Mandarb: Sorry for this bit of off-topic.

Volcan

CaptainD,

I just checked your profil. There are two links of Captain Disaster.

The first one seems to be a commercial game and the second one says nothing.

Is Captain Disaster a commercial game of a free game to play?

LTGiants2000

Quote from: Volcan on Fri 16/08/2013 15:59:24
CaptainD,

I just checked your profil. There are two links of Captain Disaster.

The first one seems to be a commercial game and the second one says nothing.

Is Captain Disaster a commercial game of a free game to play?

He's got a few projects going at the same time but I'll let him elaborate on that  :wink:

CaptainD

@Vulcan - Captain Disaster in Death Has A Million Stomping Boots is the game that is currently in production, that this thread is about, and that those videos were from.  It will be a commercial release.

Captain Disaster in "The Dark Side of the Moon" is a recently released freeware game - based on the same character and with the same style of humour, but otherwise unrelated this Stomping Boots.  You can get it here.

With Stomping Boots we're currently nearing the production of Act I, after which we will begin an intensive phase of beta testing.  Act II is already half-done, as part of it is the section of the game featured in the Demo.

CaptainD

Latest screenshots (some WiP):

This is most of the locations from Act I and all of the indoor locations in Act II (you will be controlling the ship itself for half of it - exciting or what?! :-D)

We're closing in on getting Act I fully finished, delayed a little as we ended up deciding to add a couple of puzzles / mini-games.  Our testers have had a preliminary look at the build and I'm a little nervous as to what they might have found!

BTW if anyone here runs a blog and would like to be put on a list to get a preview version of just Act I, please PM mew.  It would be nice to get some early coverage of what people think of the first part of the game while we create the rest of it.

CaptainD

Okay, just wanted to do a quick update since it's been a while.

Firstly, in case anyone had started to wonder, yes the game is still very much in production.  Much slower than we'd like due to real-life pressures (especially moving house!), but it's going.

We're still finishing up Act I.  Part of the reason for this taking so long is that we've decided to add an extra puzzle mini-game, which has taken some time to design, script and test.    TheBitPriest has also been adding some groovy lighting effects to improve the look of some of the locations.

Within the next month we hope to have Act I completely playable from start to finish.  Once that's off to the testers (Arj0n, Cat and Tabata), we'll begin working on Act 2 straight away (the demo sequence is a fair amount of act 2 so that's already done!).  Ben (ThreeOhFour) will be doing the backgrounds for Act II so it's guaranteed to look great!).

We're aiming for the 3 acts to each have different feel - so Act I has lots of locations, characters and inventory-object puzzles; Act II will have those too, but a large part of it will involve you controlling the ship instead of the captain, and having to fight off space pirates (NOT an arcade sequence though!); Act III will have plenty of locations, few characters you can talk to and more devious puzzles that should exercise the old grey matter a bit more.

We're hoping to be able to speed up production a bit later in the year, and are going to pull out all the stops to get this game released at the end of 2014, probably using Adventure-X as the official launch.

More news as we have it!

cat

Myshkin

Looks great CaptainD! I look forward to seeing this finished and I shall check out the demo right now :-D

AprilSkies

I played the demo in the database one month ago (more or less).
Loved it (and I voted for best demo).

I'd like to play more!

www.apemarina.altervista.org

CaptainD

Thanks guys, we;re working hard to get the game finished by the end of the year, hearing that people are still finding out about the game and enjoying the demo is definitely a good motivator to keep us going! ;-D

CaptainD

Just to let you know that we're still plugging away at this, guys.  TheBitPriest and myself are making real progress... it's just difficult to have exciting new things to show and tell every couple of weeks!  But rest assured that the game is in fact packed with even more puzzles and dreadful jokes than it was last time I posted.

AprilSkies

CaptainD

Fairly big news - the game is fully playable right from the start up to halfway through the game (halfway through Act II).  Not officially beta tested yet of course, but still, it was a blast playing the whole way through Act I for the first time (played parts of it MANY times of course, but never all the way from start to finish) - and if I had fun doing it, hopefully you will, right? ;)

TheBitPriest

What's this?  A leak?  (roll)

Hey... that uniform looks familiar.  I wonder how you get that??  Is wearing it such a good idea?

That girl behind the booth is kind of hot...Captain-Cork-hot, that is.

After playing through the game as it is to date (about 80% complete), my 11 yo daughter says, "It's lots of fun!  I want more!!"  There was a lot of laughter around the screen from the three play-testers, especially during the introductory cut scenes.

(head back down now.  code. paint. code. design. chat with Captain D. run design by boss.  make changes. code design from the capt. bug fix. more coding. and the saga continues.)

AprilSkies

I'm happy to see that game going on, well. I loved the demo so far that I'm looking forward so much for the final release.
I like a lot the new screenshots and LOL for the Star Trek Uniform!

myname

This is my kind of game.  I don't usually stray too far away from the freebies but after giving the demo a shot I think I'll be throwing down some loot on this mamma jamma.

CaptainD

Quick update - Acts I and II are complete (minus VA and a little polish), currently with the testers.  Have commissioned all the artwork and music for Act III and work on putting it all together is already in progress.  Not making any promises, but we're still looking at a December 2014 release if we possibly can.

CaptainD

Thought it was about time that I posted an update on this...

Test report is in, bugs are being fixed, little enhancements made here and there, and gameflow being finalised.  Work on Act III will start as soon as we have the backgrounds and are satisfied with Acts I&II.

[imgzoom]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-YYyQzIjxlM0/VEgluqlR3xI/AAAAAAAAds0/o951aTn5Ong/s1600/RoboBar.png[/imgzoom]

LTGiants2000

I've just started browsing AGS for the first time in a few months and i am very happy to see an update here. I myself have been away from the production of it but now that i am back i hope we see more and more updates here! Yay! :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk