Captain Disaster in: Death Has A Million Stomping Boots

Started by CaptainD, Mon 21/05/2012 19:37:39

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptainD

Sorry about the lack of updates folks, the game is still in full production and here are a couple of screenshots to prove it:

Current Status:

Act I

Design: 100%
Graphics: 100%
Animation: 90%
Music: 100%
SFX: 100%
Voice Acting: 5%
Testing: 80%

Act II

Design: 100%
Graphics: 100%
Animation: 100%
Music: 100%
SFX: 100%
Voice Acting: 50%
Testing: 80%

Act III

Design: 60%
Graphics: 40%
Animation: 10%
Music: 20%
SFX: 0%
Voice Acting: 0%
Testing: 0%

(Although Acts I and II have been fully tested, experience shows that it's wise to at least get it tested one final time, there always seems to be something that gets missed by everyone including me!)

AnasAbdin

CaptainD

I guess I should really do another update post on this...

We've been working hard behind the scenes and Act III is really coming together nicely, and only a handful of remaining art and music assets remain to be delivered.  We have made a couple of changes to puzzles earlier in the game to improve game flow, and will be looking at the introductory sequence again to add some extra gameplay elements.

Once all this is done, after the testers have broken it (damn them! :grin:) and we have fixed it again, we will be looking at existing assets that need to be upgraded.  This is partly to make the look of the whole game more consistent, and partly just to make the whole game look as good as it plays, plus rechecking the puzzle logic of the entire game to make sure there are no continuity issues.  Then I'll be adding some more SFX to it and finally the voicing needs to be added.

It's going to take some time but we're committed to making a game that we'll be proud of - if we'd decided to just do a rush job on things the game could have been out last year, but it would have been nowhere near as good.  I just hope that people will still be looking forward to the game when it is finally released!

Recent additions to the team have been Mandle (testing) and LostTrainDude (assisting with production and puzzle analysis).  I'm sure we can give them some properly impressive job titles when the time comes 8-)

Thanks to all the people who have continued to show interest in the game and encouraged us to keep going, we think that you're going to be happy with the result.  It may be released at the end of this year but I can't guarantee it - we'll release it when we're satisfied that the overall quality is high enough for us to be happy with it.

shaun9991

Great to see it's progressing along Dave! :)

Let me know if you want a hand with testing at any point
Support Cloak and Dagger Games on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=460039

CaptainD

A little news:

Gaming cryptocurrency GoldPieces is now sponsoring us.  Won't mean a great deal to the development process but the funds might help here and there.  (Don't worry, we won't be inserting hundreds of GP references into the game!  May add one if it can be done with comedy value.)

Also, I have finally updated our screenshots page.  It's a little more representative of the final quality of the game now, although we may still make further improvements before the game is released.

Work on Act III continues, we're very close to having the whole game playable from start to finish. 

Not forgetting of course that the whole saga begins with Captain Disaster accepting a job...

No, not that one.  But as you can see, our in-game references to other sci-fi books / movies etc continues to be very... um... subtle.  Dan Dare fans may be glad to know that there is a reference added to Act III - I wonder how many will spot it?  We shall see!  (Hmm... I feel the game is lacking in Buck Rodgers and Flash Gordon influence... but fear not, these will not be added to the game just for the sake of it, only if my warped mind thinks they will add humour.

Slasher

It's good to have references (laugh)

looks good and hopefully all will come together soon so us sci-fi nuts can play it (nod)

NickyNyce

If this doesn't come out soon, I'll be stomping my boots!

CaptainD

AnasAbdin

CaptainD

About time I updated this, if only so you know we haven't forgotten about it :grin: 

Some of the backgrounds have been reworked, and some of the new ones for the very last section of the game are coming along.  These aren't necessarily final but give you a rough idea:

Eggie

Oh boy oh boy! How's the project going over all? Give us n update on those percentages, boy!

CaptainD

Percentages?!?!? Er...

Act III
Design: 95%
Graphics: 60%
Animation: 30%
Music: 60%

More or less! :-D

Project is going nicely overall, obviously we would prefer to be able to spend more time on it but real life is a pain that way.  Working on improving game flow in Acts I and II while continuing to progress Act III, which is looking good so far.

CrashPL

The graphics are so delightfully pixelated and oldschool, I sure do like them! And boy, am I glad I didn't sell my old flatscreen CRT monitor back in the day when I had a chance, these screens look so charming on it! :D

AprilSkies

www.apemarina.altervista.org

TheBitPriest

Just a note: These screens are already out of date. 8-) We're making daily progress as we go back through, polish screens, update dialog, delete scenes, etc.  It's coming together.  It's been an honor to work alongside some of AGS's most talented artists. 

We have held back revealing much of Act III (hence the development silence), but we can reveal that towards the end we double-down on retro.

Double. Down.

It's meta-apple-II-tastic!

CaptainD

Sorry for the lack of updates recently, but we've been doing a lot of tweaking, consolidating and making little udner the hood improvements (well okay, TBP has been doing about 98% of what I just said!) - which is necessary, will make the game better, but is not something very exciting to talk about.

So, how about some screenshots that show what the game looks like nowadays?

Please note that these are only from Acts I & II - Ben has done us some lovely backgrounds in the same style for Act III, but it;s been difficult to choose screenshots which won't contain spoilers.  We're working on it... ;)

Cassiebsg

Long live the red shirts! (nod)(laugh)
Made me laugh that one!
It's looking great, probably the one game I've been waiting most for since I found AGS... (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

CaptainD

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Wed 09/03/2016 19:07:05
It's looking great, probably the one game I've been waiting most for since I found AGS... (nod)

This really made my day ;-D Can I quote you on that?

Cassiebsg

There are those who believe that life here began out there...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk