Background Blitz - A glimmer of hope [WINNER ANNOUNCED]

Started by WHAM, Sat 26/05/2012 10:09:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Misj'

Quote from: Snarky on Sun 10/06/2012 19:37:12
Quote from: Misj' on Sat 09/06/2012 22:26:54
The isle of Britannia, 500 AD.

Britannia is a land with two moons?
Nope...one moon shown twice, from a different position. It's basically two different backgrounds (the first from the top of a hill overseeing the enchanted forest and the second in the enchanted forest itself). These backgrounds are linked together with an overlay-area that looks like a single tree but is in reality a composition of the many many trees you would encounter if you walked down the stairs and through the forest.

The method is similar to this image from 'Layout and Composition for Animation' by Ed Ghertner (although I used horizontal scrolling and his superb example scrolls vertically):

So, no...Britannia does not have two moons (regretfully). But you are allowed to make two photographs from the same moon without being arrested. And that makes up for something. ;)

WHAM

Voting time, ladies and gentlemen!

We have the usual categories:
Idea: Was it an original/creative interpretation of the theme?
Atmosphere: Was an interesting world created? - Did the scene evoke a feeling?
Design: How well the individual elements are designed, from clouds to doorknobs.
Composition: How well the elements are combined to create a pleasing whole, and lead the viewer to the points of interest.
Functionality: How well it would work as a background, with clearly defined entries and walkable areas, as well as a good viewing angle (this also includes introductionary shots of an area as long as a player character can be present in the scene).
Technique: How well it's rendered (within the chosen style!), in no way meaning the more elaborate the better.

You may elaborate on your choices, but that's optional.
I won't vote unless we have a tie.
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

EchosofNezhyt

Atmosphere: Purange
Design:  Misj
Composition: Purange
Functionality:  Misj
Technique: Purange

Big GC

Idea: Purange.
Atmosphere: Purange. Just looked like zombies were going to flood in any minute.
Design: Purange. Again just buetiful to look at.
Composition: Purange.
Functionality: Misj' - As an out and out backgroung it (they) are perfect for adventure games.
Technique: Purange.

In all honesty all of these could have been a flip of the coin between Purange and Misj' it only came down to my prefernce for post apocalyptic themes over medievil.

Making a game - this should be easy......?

Jakey

Atmosphere: Frito Master (I teared up a little for the poor guy... :P)
Design:  Purange
Composition: Purange

Purange

Idea: Big GC
Atmosphere: Big GC
Design:  Misj
Composition: amateurhour
Technique: Misj

edit: whoops I forgot the idea category, amended now :)

amateurhour

Idea: Big GC
Atmosphere: Big GC
Design: Purange(those colors are gorgeous and the lines are incredible)
Composition: Misj
Functionality: Purange
Co-Founder of Pink Pineapple Ink Pink Pineapple Ink
Creator of the online comic Trouble Ticket Trouble Ticket

WHAM

And the winner is...

! PURANGE !
and his incredibly well drawn and atmospheric light in the dark!

Congratulations on my part as well, you gathered a total of 14 votes of the total of 27 votes cast in all categories!
Feel free to kick up the next competition when you feel ready, and sorry to everyone for posting this half-a-day late (forgot)!
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Misj'

Congrats Purange!

Looking forward to the next Blitz

Purange

ooh thankyou everyone for the votes, there were some other lovely entries. Lets see if I can drum up a nice theme then :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk