Unnamed Game Art Assets[Pripyat/Chernobyl Based] - Tell me what you think.

Started by EchosofNezhyt, Fri 01/06/2012 17:16:23

Previous topic - Next topic

EchosofNezhyt

So whats everyone think? so far.

Old:
Well been messing with the program for a bit seems perfect so I've decided to make a game I'll make a thread once I have more done.

Older:
So I stumbled across the ags program and I love the old school art look.
I decided to mess around with it.

If anyone is any good at story telling or something like that it be nice to have some kinda direction for once I get the hang of things and learn how to draw pixel art.

Did some art stuff and going to just make a basic room with some stuff in it.

LTGiants2000

Hey FritoMaster, these look really cool. I always liked the "post apocalyptic" or nuclear winter type settings. I could definitely throw some ideas around with you if you're interested (I am involved in a few other AGS projects, nothing too technical though). Message me!

EchosofNezhyt

Sure sounds good.

I fixed up the walk animation but its still super wonky.

*Added to main post*
Not to shabby though for my first ever walk cycle.

Edit: Some of my colors got switch it seems too/inconsistencies between drawings

Edit:

Added a forward and backward animation.

Edit: Made some edits.

EchosofNezhyt

Fixed up backwards walk animation

Khristian Cammilleri

Yes! finally! an AGS stalker-based game!
I can't wait for this one!
I'm a huge fan of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series :) ;)
PizzaNostra!

EchosofNezhyt

Well not to disappoint but I'm going to try to make everything else less stalker-ish. I love the look of gas masks and clothes like that so it does look strait outta stalker but i'm fine with that.

I'm going for the Chernobyl/Pripyat area, But story wise I wanna kinda keep it based on what really happened.

But then again I'm still learning how ags works and all that. I haven't put much thought in to story or setting besides this test room I'm making.

Edit: My bad mods didn't know that was wrong being in general discussion? I don't really want critique though... Just posting what I have so far and talking about it.

Then again if anyone has any suggestions or anything im always all ears but I do know that my animations are shabby and that room is kinda play with not much artistic value imo.

Edit: Checkpoint.

Khris

I like the art so far but I read this in the Indy thread and I'm curious: why would you upscale the pictures to twice the size to use them in-game? Why not make the game use the same resolution (320) instead?

EchosofNezhyt

Well now that I think about I don't think there is a reason, I started out doing it that way for some reason haha.

Would I have to change my hotspots and walkable areas if I change resolution now?

Edit:

Khris

Yes, if you import a differently sized room background, you have to redraw all areas. Still better to do it now while you're starting out, I guess.

There's another way, though I'm not sure if it's worth the effort: you could import a white background of the same size, switch to editing the hotspots, move the transparency slider all the way to the left, then make a screenshot. If you crop and resize it, then import it using the "import mask from file" button, you'll just have to recolor all the hotspots, not redraw their shapes. Should work for walkable areas, walk-behinds and regions, too.

EchosofNezhyt

Yeah hmm I might.

In the end it will save time.

"I like the art so far-"

Btw thanks.

Edit:

Whew... These pixel art peices are seriously my pretty much first environment stuff I've ever drawn.

Edit: Added some more stuff about 80% done Whew.

Edit:
Testing some npc animations.

Edit:

DrSlash

Hey, not bad! The only issue I found is that letter 'И' in word 'ПрипяÑ,ÑŒ' is turned to a wrong side.

Sledgy

EchosofNezhyt

Quote from: DrSlash on Tue 05/06/2012 12:17:10
Hey, not bad! The only issue I found is that letter 'И' in word 'ПрипяÑ,ÑŒ' is turned to a wrong side.

Thanks nice call stuff like that bothers me, Just didn't notice I did that being English and all.

If your Russian I may have questions down the line.

DrSlash

Quote from: FritoMaster on Tue 05/06/2012 13:30:00
If your Russian I may have questions down the line.
Yeah I'm Russian and feel free to PM me with any questions ;)

bdgtw

An interesting game. I love STALKER universe, and especially the atmosphere, I hope you will keep it at least partially. Аbout the letter "И" in the title "ПРИПЯТЬ" you have said. You played a STALKER?

EchosofNezhyt

Thanks and I'm confused what do you mean?

I looked up how pripyat should be spelled and I forgot to draw the N the right way.

bdgtw

I mean the game S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of the Chernobyl from the GDC. Played it? All the parts? How does it feel?

EchosofNezhyt

Quote from: bdgtw on Wed 06/06/2012 09:34:51
I mean the game S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of the Chernobyl from the GDC. Played it? All the parts? How does it feel?

I've played all three of them to the end and a few mods.

I'm confused at the, How does it feel? 

I really enjoyed it, if that what you mean.

Edit:

I've been looking and I made everything look very washed out.

I modded the sprite a little does it look better?

Old:
New:

Khris

Pushed some pixels, reduced color count to 13:

[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/zxkYg.png[/imgzoom]
(mouse over to zoom)

I mostly made the arms longer and redid the head.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk