Unnamed Game Art Assets[Pripyat/Chernobyl Based] - Tell me what you think.

Started by EchosofNezhyt, Fri 01/06/2012 17:16:23

Previous topic - Next topic

EchosofNezhyt

So whats everyone think? so far.

Old:
Well been messing with the program for a bit seems perfect so I've decided to make a game I'll make a thread once I have more done.

Older:
So I stumbled across the ags program and I love the old school art look.
I decided to mess around with it.

If anyone is any good at story telling or something like that it be nice to have some kinda direction for once I get the hang of things and learn how to draw pixel art.

Did some art stuff and going to just make a basic room with some stuff in it.

LTGiants2000

Hey FritoMaster, these look really cool. I always liked the "post apocalyptic" or nuclear winter type settings. I could definitely throw some ideas around with you if you're interested (I am involved in a few other AGS projects, nothing too technical though). Message me!

EchosofNezhyt

Sure sounds good.

I fixed up the walk animation but its still super wonky.

*Added to main post*
Not to shabby though for my first ever walk cycle.

Edit: Some of my colors got switch it seems too/inconsistencies between drawings

Edit:

Added a forward and backward animation.

Edit: Made some edits.

EchosofNezhyt

Fixed up backwards walk animation

Khristian Cammilleri

Yes! finally! an AGS stalker-based game!
I can't wait for this one!
I'm a huge fan of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series :) ;)
PizzaNostra!

EchosofNezhyt

Well not to disappoint but I'm going to try to make everything else less stalker-ish. I love the look of gas masks and clothes like that so it does look strait outta stalker but i'm fine with that.

I'm going for the Chernobyl/Pripyat area, But story wise I wanna kinda keep it based on what really happened.

But then again I'm still learning how ags works and all that. I haven't put much thought in to story or setting besides this test room I'm making.

Edit: My bad mods didn't know that was wrong being in general discussion? I don't really want critique though... Just posting what I have so far and talking about it.

Then again if anyone has any suggestions or anything im always all ears but I do know that my animations are shabby and that room is kinda play with not much artistic value imo.

Edit: Checkpoint.

Khris

I like the art so far but I read this in the Indy thread and I'm curious: why would you upscale the pictures to twice the size to use them in-game? Why not make the game use the same resolution (320) instead?

EchosofNezhyt

Well now that I think about I don't think there is a reason, I started out doing it that way for some reason haha.

Would I have to change my hotspots and walkable areas if I change resolution now?

Edit:

Khris

Yes, if you import a differently sized room background, you have to redraw all areas. Still better to do it now while you're starting out, I guess.

There's another way, though I'm not sure if it's worth the effort: you could import a white background of the same size, switch to editing the hotspots, move the transparency slider all the way to the left, then make a screenshot. If you crop and resize it, then import it using the "import mask from file" button, you'll just have to recolor all the hotspots, not redraw their shapes. Should work for walkable areas, walk-behinds and regions, too.

EchosofNezhyt

Yeah hmm I might.

In the end it will save time.

"I like the art so far-"

Btw thanks.

Edit:

Whew... These pixel art peices are seriously my pretty much first environment stuff I've ever drawn.

Edit: Added some more stuff about 80% done Whew.

Edit:
Testing some npc animations.

Edit:

DrSlash

Hey, not bad! The only issue I found is that letter 'И' in word 'ПрипяÑ,ÑŒ' is turned to a wrong side.

Sledgy

EchosofNezhyt

Quote from: DrSlash on Tue 05/06/2012 12:17:10
Hey, not bad! The only issue I found is that letter 'И' in word 'ПрипяÑ,ÑŒ' is turned to a wrong side.

Thanks nice call stuff like that bothers me, Just didn't notice I did that being English and all.

If your Russian I may have questions down the line.

DrSlash

Quote from: FritoMaster on Tue 05/06/2012 13:30:00
If your Russian I may have questions down the line.
Yeah I'm Russian and feel free to PM me with any questions ;)

bdgtw

An interesting game. I love STALKER universe, and especially the atmosphere, I hope you will keep it at least partially. Аbout the letter "И" in the title "ПРИПЯТЬ" you have said. You played a STALKER?

EchosofNezhyt

Thanks and I'm confused what do you mean?

I looked up how pripyat should be spelled and I forgot to draw the N the right way.

bdgtw

I mean the game S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of the Chernobyl from the GDC. Played it? All the parts? How does it feel?

EchosofNezhyt

Quote from: bdgtw on Wed 06/06/2012 09:34:51
I mean the game S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of the Chernobyl from the GDC. Played it? All the parts? How does it feel?

I've played all three of them to the end and a few mods.

I'm confused at the, How does it feel? 

I really enjoyed it, if that what you mean.

Edit:

I've been looking and I made everything look very washed out.

I modded the sprite a little does it look better?

Old:
New:

Khris

Pushed some pixels, reduced color count to 13:

[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/zxkYg.png[/imgzoom]
(mouse over to zoom)

I mostly made the arms longer and redid the head.

EchosofNezhyt

Quote from: Khris on Wed 06/06/2012 17:28:07
Pushed some pixels, reduced color count to 13:

[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/zxkYg.png[/imgzoom]
(mouse over to zoom)

I mostly made the arms longer and redid the head.

Its pretty cool has a more realistic proportion and not cartoony.

Thing is I'm not sure it would fit if I couldn't make everything else match.

Edit:

Hmm but I didn't realize how cartoony mine looked haha.

Edit:

A few changes.

Edit: The more I see the more I like it. Its pretty awesome.

Edit:

Kastchey

Khris, that's an awesome edit.

Frito, the concept looks very promising, I really hope you'll pull it off. And that's a sweet-looking row of trees you did in that background picture!

EchosofNezhyt

First pixel trees I've done :P

These are also my first to real environments I've ever drawn.

Yeah I think have a cool idea and I love the pripyat/chernobyl story.

Me and LTGiants2000 have been coming up with plot details and stuff.

I also have a good friend that is pro at piano/others/sounds and making music and has a nice setup so hes all for making stuff.

LTGiants2000

Quote from: Frito Master on Thu 07/06/2012 00:35:19

Meh....I've basically been a soundboard for your good ideas...coming along nicely though!

EchosofNezhyt

Quote from: LTGiants2000 on Thu 07/06/2012 00:36:53
Quote from: Frito Master on Thu 07/06/2012 00:35:19

Meh....I've basically been a soundboard for your good ideas...coming along nicely though!

:X You helped with more then that.

CaptainD

It can be hard to tell what characters will look like in action on a low-res screen where they're much bigger, but your sprites certainly look good so far.  I'm interested to see what you come up with for the storyline.

EchosofNezhyt

Well I'm gonna go for a more realistic look.

Edit: Spend some of today working with gui stuff.
Hold down right click to bring up circle mouse over the 4 options and let go.
Also tested the rain plug in and changed up the background a bit.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

The murky colors really add atmosphere to the background design.  The only thing I would consider is using some method to help the character sprites maintain good visibility (a dark outline might work as long as a majority of the rooms are like this one).  You've created a nice, moody setting here!

EchosofNezhyt

Edit:

Updated stuff abit.

Had my sound buddy get me some sounds and stuck em in.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_5j3FO8F_g

Planned out a bit more of the story and mapped out some of the area just got get the idea together so I can progress more.

Tommorow I'll work on animations if anyone has a good realistic walk cycle animation or anything feel free to share.

Khris

Looking good, a couple of things though: Why is the latest screenshot so messy? It looks like you printed the image, took a photo of it, put that in a Word document, then took a screenshot and posted that.
There's also no need to upscale the pic yourself, you can put the width in the image tag: [img width=960] The forums will keep the aspect ratio. Also, when you scale up 320, why to 1023? All the pixely goodness is lost that way.

As for the background itself: I'm on a CRT, and except for the building, character and signs, this image is black. I get it's supposed to be dark, but if you look at the histogram, 75% of pixels have a lightness below 35 (range is 0-255). People tend to crank up the brightness of their TFTs to 100%, 70% is enough.

Also, the reflection is really wrong. Flat surfaces don't squash what they reflect, only fun house mirrors do. And the reflection itself is actually 3D, not 2D:

What you'd actually see inside the lower green rectange is the ceiling of the room, not a 2D projection of our particular viewing angle.

EchosofNezhyt

I had just copied and pasted the reflection completely forgot about that haha, I'm so not use to drawing environments.

Thanks for the perspective picture, Correcting it tomorrow.

Idk the darkness doesn't look bad at all for me but someone else said it was super dark! To me I feel like it looks day time if I bump it up any but I'll mess with the settings if anyone wants to just do a quick brightness bump up to what is acceptable :D

WHAM

Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

EchosofNezhyt

Awesome thanks :D

Edit: I updated brightness a bit, (Ignore the clouds I think they look wierd)
Also I know the reflection is still messed up fixing it tomorrow.
[imgzoom]http://s14.postimage.org/7afpfknap/Chernobyl_2012_06_08_03_22_16_86.png[/imgzoom]

Snarky

Quote from: Khris on Fri 08/06/2012 07:49:48
There's also no need to upscale the pic yourself, you can put the width in the image tag: [img width=960] The forums will keep the aspect ratio. Also, when you scale up 320, why to 1023? All the pixely goodness is lost that way.

Actually, I'd recommend using the new [imgzoom] tag instead. No mental multiplication required!

EchosofNezhyt

Quote from: Snarky on Fri 08/06/2012 08:26:32
Quote from: Khris on Fri 08/06/2012 07:49:48

Actually, I'd recommend using the new [imgzoom] tag instead. No mental multiplication required!

I don't upscale the pic myself. I've just been print screening it. Anyways doesn't normal browser interpolation technique blur the pixels to much.

Edit: Also I want to have a huge focus on smaller details and sound(posted a youtube vid of a few)/special animations.
I got custom music covered and theres no reason to not have full voice acting.

Biggest thing for me is gameplay and puzzles I haven't played this style of game in forever if anyone has any gameplay tips and stuff for this genre fill free to share. Anyhow off to bed.

Khris

Use a decent browser and the imagezoom image is upscaled using nearest neighbor (see the sprite I posted).
(Also please don't quote the entire previous post, it's pointless.)

AGS also has a built-in screenshot command that's invoked when you press F12 unless you removed the on_key_press line. The screenshot ends up in the save game dir (My documents/My Saved Games/Game name/).

The shot you posted is blurry though, so you didn't just take a screenshot of a 3x window, and how did it end up being 1023x766? I get that you cropped it and I'm glad you've removed the window border (which seems not to occur to many people), but why the odd zoom factor?

Anian

This getting better with each day, I really like the new sprite and the new style of backgrounds.
Also, about the darkness of the scene, you don't have to actually make the colors dark in order to show that it's night time, sure keep them darkish, but you can always use blue hues or similar to just indicate night without the scene actually being black. For example these are both scenes at night but the colors are not actually black or very dark EXAMPLE 1 EXAMPLE 2

A bit of nitpicking - I know that gas masks are cool, but also that you can't really wear a gas mask all the time, you have to change filters and a lot of them for a full time protection. Even then, there is still no protection from gamma radiation, which would sort of be the problem after while. In fact, it would be an interesting and justified gameplay mechanic (you can even set the difficulty easily) by making a timer until your filter runs out but also hide some filters around backgrounds so people can find more if they search through garbage piles etc. People, including myself, hate timed gameplay, but this would be justified and you don't have to make it difficult or to change difficulty by giving more or less time to finish the game.

Putting all that aside, the thing that actually bothers me is that the character walks around with a mask and then comes to guard NPC, who doesn't wear a mask... On that note, the roof looks a bit weird and empty, maybe make some kind of ventilation apparatus/system for filtering air, with like spinning blades (even maybe animate it, or make it a puzzle so the guard lets you through if you find a part that he needs to fix the ventilation or something).
I don't want the world, I just want your half

Khris

Just a small note: if you use imagezoom, there's no need to upscale the image yourself, just post the original 320 screenshot.

EchosofNezhyt

Quote from: Khris on Fri 08/06/2012 09:37:45
Use a decent browser and the imagezoom image is upscaled using nearest neighbor (see the sprite I posted).
(Also please don't quote the entire previous post, it's pointless.)

I got chrome and the newest firefox, I still haven't found a way to disable it. I checked on that script site and googling.

I'll try the print screen option, I think that wierd picture I posted earlier was a crop version haha.

EchosofNezhyt

Quote from: Anian on Fri 08/06/2012 10:10:11
This getting better with each day, I really like the new sprite and the new style of backgrounds.
Also, about the darkness of the scene, you don't have to actually make the colors dark in order to show that it's night time, sure keep them darkish, but you can always use blue hues or similar to just indicate night without the scene actually being black. For example these are both scenes at night but the colors are not actually black or very dark EXAMPLE 1
A bit of nitpicking - I know that gas masks are cool, but also that you can't really wear a gas mask all the time, you have to change filters and a lot of them for a full time protection. Even then, there is still no protection from gamma radiation, which would sort of be the problem after while. In fact, it would be an interesting and justified gameplay mechanic (you can even set the difficulty easily) by making a timer until your filter runs out but also hide some filters around backgrounds so people can find more if they search through garbage piles etc. People, including myself, hate timed gameplay, but this would be justified and you don't have to make it difficult or to change difficulty by giving more or less time to finish the game.
utting all that aside, the thing that actually bothers me is that the character walks around with a mask and then comes to guard NPC, who doesn't wear a mask... On that note, the roof looks a bit weird and empty, maybe make some kind of ventilation apparatus/system for filtering air, with like spinning blades (even maybe animate it, or make it a puzzle so the guard lets you through if you find a part that he needs to fix the ventilation or something).

No problems, I like nit-picky as long as I don't have to restart haha.

Hes not going to have a gas-mask until a bit on(There outside the city), Not sure about the filter thing I have to figure out more of the gameplay stuff.
Yeah I need to fix the building honestly the window hole thing is lopsided and ugly doesnt make sense haha. I originally had a roof but when detailing everything I forgot to add it in.
Also if you look at the newer screenies I went for a blue look to kinda keep the night time so I think I'm learning a bit and it defiantly looks better, is it bright enough now?

I'm still feeling pretty sick today I'm not sure how much I'll get done.

Heres a screenshot from in game function.
Edit:

Khris

Just put it inside [imgzoom] tags, using this button:

[imgzoom]http://s13.postimage.org/qyp40286f/scrnshot.png[/imgzoom]

Great work so far, the lighting is superb!

EchosofNezhyt

Thanks is there a thread around here with gameplay tips? Atm I just have a list of games I should play and I'm going to try figure it out that way.

Cause art, sound, story and gameplay don't mean that much if any of the 4 are outta wack(Well story and gameplay are more important imo still).

Edit: Do you know how to set image filtering in gchrome or firefox?

Edit: [imgzoom]http://s15.postimage.org/vz8nvmngb/scrnshot.png[/imgzoom]

Khris

The forums should have the image filtering set to NN already, for Firefox and Chrome at least.
Any image inserted with the standard [img] tag should appear that way if you scale it up using width=x inside the tag.

In Chrome, you can check by right-clicking a non-zoomable image and selecting "Inspect element". In the style tab it should say: image-rendering: -moz-crisp-edges;

Also, please stop quoting the entire previous post. It's completely pointless and clutters up the thread. There's a reply button beneath the last post, and even if there weren't you could easily remove the useless quote from your post.

EchosofNezhyt

My bad its just the way I've been posting for the past 7 years, I keep forgetting.

My image zoom in chrome on the forums blurs the crap outta it.

Firefox though doesnt :D I like it better I just haven't set it up yet.

Edit: I edited the image a bit does it look better I'm confused haha.

Double Edit: Working on walk cycles I won't stop till I have something badass(good) looking.

Mati256

This is looking amazing Frito! Great improvement!
Good luck whit it.
My Blog! (En Español)

EchosofNezhyt

Thanks :D I just want to make it really fun and reflect my idea good.

Edit: This isn't finished at all so don't judge it yet but I'm super tired.

Edit: Added a bit more still needs tons 'o fix'n

[imgzoom]http://s18.postimage.org/faa0vh251/Zedeanim.gif[/imgzoom]

Edit: [imgzoom]http://s14.postimage.org/ac6q5f30t/Zedeanim.gif[/imgzoom]

Armageddon

Now I want to make a Stalker game. :P

Really love those trees, I'd say redo the light though and shade it by hand, it'll look a lot better and fit the style more.

EchosofNezhyt

Heh I might.

Thanks.
Character look and maybe slightly the setting(mine isn't mutant/post apocalyptic though.) will be the only stalker similarities.

Armageddon

Oh crap, ignore my post, did realize there were more pages. :-[

I wish these image things hadn't caught on, everything is blurry when scaled except gifs.Everything looks waaayyy better now. Keep it up. :)

EchosofNezhyt

Yeah, I switch to firefox when I'm stalking the forums it doesn't use a non-nearest neighbor interpolation technique so they stay nice and sharp.

Thanks I just hope I can make it good. :P

If anyone wants to see the animations or backgrounds or whatever...
Its just that one room, Some test script(Ignore) I did and some sounds and effects.
Tell me what you think though.
http://www.mediafire.com/?j8qucjc6az4dhzb

Edit: Updated Boris
Does this new version fit in with the style?
I made it less cartoony more realistically shaped, Darker looking.

Armageddon

Tried to make him look less bulky, might not be the effect you want.

I just could not get the shows to look right. :(
Also the old Boris had more personality and I think just recolouring him would work.

EDIT: More color and depth and stuff.
[imgzoom]https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5479044/Derpedits2.png[/imgzoom]

EchosofNezhyt

Looks cool but it kinda looses the layered bulk look.

Though I modded the sprite to remove a 1px line off his chest loosing a kinda of fat look but keeping the jacket look.

As for the legs one of the lines is a shadow on his leg. Also I'll see if the contrast change looks good on the sprite, thanks for taking the time.

Edit: Got alot more of the story fleshed out got some interesting ideas! Working on some more art!

Edit: Starting of the game started! Working on normal clothed dimitri and crusty apartment! :D

Edit:

Invited a few hobos and let it sit for 3 years.

Edit:

Btw this isn't in pripyat, I've looked at reference pictures for everything and anything I'm drawing there.
Edit:

Edit:

Not done yet no need to comment about it :P
Edit:

LostTrainDude

His room feels very interesting!

The new walkcycle too. The legs' movement feels natural (to me, at least) even if I don't really know if the body has to be so "fixed" (of course I've noticed the arm\shoulder movement).

Anyway good job! These are just my opinions :) I'm no good artist :P
"We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing."

CaptainD

I'm no artist either, but I have to say this is starting to look very, very good indeed.

EchosofNezhyt

Thanks it means alot.

I'm doing the art to the best of my ability and no cutting corners on anything, That said I also am putting the focus on all other aspects too.

I hope I can make something awesome, Its moving along I'll have a games in production thread up soon.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

You know, just a thought about the rain.  It looks like you're using ags rain or something similar but you could get much more spectacular results using something like particle illusions or adobe after effects to create a realistic looking animation and just drop it over as an object.  This is basically the same approach I'm going to use in the future since it's relatively easy to do, not much of a strain (depending on how many frames and your resolution), and the results look about 10x better.

As for the latest room it looks effectively dingy but the shadows don't make sense to me.  If the window is casting a light source then it should only be illuminating an area below it at an angle based on the height of the light source (for moonlight or overhead lighting) and a size roughly the shape of the window.  The light by the door, unless that alcove is very short, would not cast light in such a wide angle around the opposite corner unless it was on the side of the alcove rather than the back next to the door.  Sometimes it helps to look at some art photographs online that focus on grayscale light and shadow tones.  Finally, it wouldn't hurt to make certain areas almost completely black (like that wall along the fridge).  It is more realistic as it will get darker the farther away from a lightsource but it also adds to the mood and allows you to play with shapes and optimize/get rid of boring areas in rooms.

Finally, for your character sprites, try having them move down one pixel on a down step and up one pixel when their leg is up (before it is brought down).  This will give you the typical up and down motion you see with people when they walk normally.

I went ahead and made an edit of your latest walkcycle to show you what I mean as well as correct a few other issues.

1.  Made him move down on a down step and up on an up step.

2.  Adjusted angle of face so he is looking ahead rather than to the side.

3.  Adjusted shape of torso so he looks like he is turned to face ahead rather than at an angle.

4.  Made the arm move back and forth with the body.

[imgzoom]http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr218/ProgZmax/Dim_Norm_Walk_ED.gif[/imgzoom]

I hope this helps.

EchosofNezhyt

Yeah I had noticed the shadow for the window looking wierd I'll fix when I get back in town this monday. The animation looks nice thanks for the help I added the step up and step down with my other dimitri animation, Thank you! You should write a tutorial tip list thing your sprites are pretty pro. /bows

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

EchosofNezhyt

Edit:I am using the rain plugin with a 4 pixel sprite, The resolution is 320x 200x.
I'll check out using AF or particle illusions (Never heard/used before), I want the rain to look the best it can.
The other light is coming from a doorway (Bathroom)and if the door is open completely and the lights on the back wall (Same wall as the front door) I think the light would look almost like that? But I think I made it about foot or so to wide.

Edit: I edited it a bit and stuck in the new dimitri animations, Also made a first version front/back view sprite

amateurhour

First off, these look fantastic.

I had a few simple Q's I didn't see listed above. You said you're working at the minimum resolution, but what's the width of those rooms you're making? is it like 320x900?

Second, what are you using to create the environments? I've been using photoshop but honestly I think it's overkill for what I'm trying to do with low res sprite art and I wanted to see what others are using.

Third, (two parter) what's the resolution/size of your character sprites and what are you using to put the animations together? Again, I've been working on walkcycles in Photoshop and saving as .png but it seems like overkill.

Looks awesome!
Co-Founder of Pink Pineapple Ink Pink Pineapple Ink
Creator of the online comic Trouble Ticket Trouble Ticket

EchosofNezhyt

Thanks I'm super new to making any type of environment so its cool to hear good feedback.

1:423x200 for Dimitri's apartment. So it scrolls horizontally.
  320x 240x for Pripyat checkpoint.

2: I use Photoshop(CS5 atm) with the pen tool and a mouse, I sometimes break out the tablet to color bigger areas or for the carpet and lighting.
   I've been using it since I was about 14 so that's 6 years so I know it in and out and don't really feel the need to switch.

2.5: Dimitri is 34x60 Boris is a bit wider but since hes learned over his sprite is shorter, I use Photoshop for the animations. :P

3: Animation Tip: Set all your animation frames to 1 second, File>Export>Render Video> 

It will save all the .pngs at once in order so you don't have to do it manually.

Edit: Heres a new picture of the restroom in the apartment, The doorway fades when you enter it. This will prolly be the last thing I post in here since everything else will be game related and I want that to be seen in the demo when ever I get that out.

amateurhour

One last question? (also THANKS for the reply, glad to see that PS isn't a bad idea in this case)

With your BG's are you going to have the standard menu drop down or use the "mouse right click to change actions) format? I'm just curious because you put a lot of detail in the top and bottom of your screens and it seems like it would be wasted with a menu bar, or does that go on top/below the bg?     
Co-Founder of Pink Pineapple Ink Pink Pineapple Ink
Creator of the online comic Trouble Ticket Trouble Ticket

EchosofNezhyt

Left click for talk/interact/walk/, Right for look.
The UI I have right now is slide out on mouse over though its place holder, I haven't figured out a great design yet.

I don't like the big UIs and I hate having to go through menus, Especially inventory.  Graphics/Sound/Gameplay aged pretty well for adventure games and I dislike most of there UIs.

For me at least minimal UI elements cluttering up the screen is more immersive.

EchosofNezhyt

Pripyat Bridge of Death. (Google it)

WIP, Most likely the last thing I post in here. (Well I mean I'll keep updating my post untill this current thing is finished.)

Edit:

I make my stuff to dark... I'll fix later.

Edit: Will need some rearranging and all that... Not sure if the clouds fit though....

Still need to finish the sky, Make the skyline decide if I'm going to leave a void look or draw the trees down there.
Need to add growing plants and give everything a wet look and make the tiling less noticable.

Edit: Color matched the cement. Does it look better or should I make everything shades of blue?
This

or

This

Tabata

I am no artist, so I can only tell you how I feel about it, but I can't help so much in explaining about how to improve.

Those extra clouds near the moon give me a strange feeling â€" especially during rain, because they look like some nice wheather clouds (and not enough to let it rain). The rest of the sky is dark cloudy, but if so, the moon can't to be seen that bright and clear.
So I think that you first should decide, how much of the moon will be able to give you light (and where) and if you leave the moon to be the only light source, I'd prefer the blue-shaded version during rain.
The other color/version could look nice for areas that might be lightened by (for example) lamp posts.

EchosofNezhyt

Quote from: Tabata on Wed 11/07/2012 03:46:14
I am no artist, so I can only tell you how I feel about it, but I can't help so much in explaining about how to improve.

Those extra clouds near the moon give me a strange feeling â€" especially during rain, because they look like some nice wheather clouds (and not enough to let it rain). The rest of the sky is dark cloudy, but if so, the moon can't to be seen that bright and clear.
So I think that you first should decide, how much of the moon will be able to give you light (and where) and if you leave the moon to be the only light source, I'd prefer the blue-shaded version during rain.
The other color/version could look nice for areas that might be lightened by (for example) lamp posts.

Yeah I got that vibe to with the rain, I might make it not have rain. The sky looks so empty with no clouds though hmm....
There won't be lamp posts since its abandoned(Or is it :D)city and from the pictures I've seen there wasn't any lamp posts on that bridge.

What if I make the sky brighter and ton down the rain to a sprinkle? Hmm...

Armageddon

Toning down the rain would be good, but I don't think the skyline is interesting enough for a whole background. I assume this is you going into Pripyat. You should have lots of ruble and burned out cars and such. You could have part of the railing destroyed with skid marks, it tells a story through the environment. Here's a quick paint over of a few ideas to make the background interesting.

I didn't have time to do it properly but you should get the basic idea. If I remember correctly the bridge you made is a real one near Pripyat, I know this doesn't follow it but I think this would look a whole lot better aesthetically.

EchosofNezhyt

Quote from: Armageddon on Wed 11/07/2012 04:37:08
Toning down the rain would be good, but I don't think the skyline is interesting enough for a whole background. I assume this is you going into Pripyat. You should have lots of ruble and burned out cars and such. You could have part of the railing destroyed with skid marks, it tells a story through the environment. Here's a quick paint over of a few ideas to make the background interesting.

I didn't have time to do it properly but you should get the basic idea. If I remember correctly the bridge you made is a real one near Pripyat, I know this doesn't follow it but I think this would look a whole lot better aesthetically.

Thats what I had in mind at first but then I found out about the actual bridge.
The actual game isn't apocalyptic or anything so I'm not sure about the wrecked car and stuff, I still need to add all the overgrowth to it too.
The idea of the more destroyed look is a good idea, I want to keep the backdrop interesting too. With the reactor in the distance(I have some plans on making it more interesting.)

Hmm...

Btw here is the bridge if anyone is curious.

Armageddon

I think here would be best to bend the world a little bit, unless you're going for a 1:1 Pripyat thing. Maybe some of the lamp posts will be enough? or draw the beginning and end of the bridge all in one background?

Tabata

Quote from: Frito Master on Wed 11/07/2012 04:13:21
... The sky looks so empty with no clouds though hmm....
There won't be lamp posts since its abandoned(Or is it :D)city and from the pictures I've seen there wasn't any lamp posts on that bridge.

What if I make the sky brighter and ton down the rain to a sprinkle? Hmm...

May be searching for some references like this might help to give you an idea of how to do the sky more interesting?   (roll)

EchosofNezhyt

Edit:

May be searching for some references like this might help to give you an idea of how to do the sky more interesting?   (roll)

I have that same picture saved from last night when I was looking at references haha.

I was scared to try that so I went with easier clouds. I wish I drawn more environment related stuff.
Thanks though I might go ahead try clouds like that.

Quote from: Armageddon on Wed 11/07/2012 05:03:29
I think here would be best to bend the world a little bit, unless you're going for a 1:1 Pripyat thing. Maybe some of the lamp posts will be enough? or draw the beginning and end of the bridge all in one background?

I will prolly do it all in one background I can always add onto the sides easy. I kinda wanted to keep it as close as possible but my options open up if I can't make it interesting enough.

Armageddon

Frikker

EchosofNezhyt

Quote from: Frikker on Fri 01/08/2014 17:40:54
What happened? This looked like it was getting good :(

Just been busy man. My kid and work and when I do find time for art I can get paid for it so I haven't been doing so much on my side projects.

Weirdly enough though the work I did on this game convinced me to learn more about Ukraine/Russia. Which led to me really getting into Slavic Language.

I've spent months in my free time learning Russian. I don't know a lot and its a many years process but its funny to go back and see that I named the game.

Echos of the Nezhyt and realize that Nezhyt is a combo of  Не and Ðâ€"иÃ'‚Ã'Å', which at the time I didn't understand and just asked a Russian guy to give me a transliteration.

I'd really love to work more on this I just don't have time atm. Maybe in the future! I think I released the project files to see if anyone wanted to use it.

I don't think anyone made anything from it afaik.

Mandle

Quote from: Armageddon on Thu 31/07/2014 03:42:19
Don't bump, he's been gone forever and isn't coming back. :(

I guess you just never can tell eh?

EchosofNezhyt

Quote from: Mandle on Wed 25/03/2015 16:41:13
Quote from: Armageddon on Thu 31/07/2014 03:42:19
Don't bump, he's been gone forever and isn't coming back. :(

I guess you just never can tell eh?
With his quote you'd think I was dead...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk