Unnamed Game Art Assets[Pripyat/Chernobyl Based] - Tell me what you think.

Started by EchosofNezhyt, Fri 01/06/2012 17:16:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Khris

Just put it inside [imgzoom] tags, using this button:

[imgzoom]http://s13.postimage.org/qyp40286f/scrnshot.png[/imgzoom]

Great work so far, the lighting is superb!

EchosofNezhyt

Thanks is there a thread around here with gameplay tips? Atm I just have a list of games I should play and I'm going to try figure it out that way.

Cause art, sound, story and gameplay don't mean that much if any of the 4 are outta wack(Well story and gameplay are more important imo still).

Edit: Do you know how to set image filtering in gchrome or firefox?

Edit: [imgzoom]http://s15.postimage.org/vz8nvmngb/scrnshot.png[/imgzoom]

Khris

The forums should have the image filtering set to NN already, for Firefox and Chrome at least.
Any image inserted with the standard [img] tag should appear that way if you scale it up using width=x inside the tag.

In Chrome, you can check by right-clicking a non-zoomable image and selecting "Inspect element". In the style tab it should say: image-rendering: -moz-crisp-edges;

Also, please stop quoting the entire previous post. It's completely pointless and clutters up the thread. There's a reply button beneath the last post, and even if there weren't you could easily remove the useless quote from your post.

EchosofNezhyt

My bad its just the way I've been posting for the past 7 years, I keep forgetting.

My image zoom in chrome on the forums blurs the crap outta it.

Firefox though doesnt :D I like it better I just haven't set it up yet.

Edit: I edited the image a bit does it look better I'm confused haha.

Double Edit: Working on walk cycles I won't stop till I have something badass(good) looking.

Mati256

This is looking amazing Frito! Great improvement!
Good luck whit it.
My Blog! (En Español)

EchosofNezhyt

Thanks :D I just want to make it really fun and reflect my idea good.

Edit: This isn't finished at all so don't judge it yet but I'm super tired.

Edit: Added a bit more still needs tons 'o fix'n

[imgzoom]http://s18.postimage.org/faa0vh251/Zedeanim.gif[/imgzoom]

Edit: [imgzoom]http://s14.postimage.org/ac6q5f30t/Zedeanim.gif[/imgzoom]

Armageddon

Now I want to make a Stalker game. :P

Really love those trees, I'd say redo the light though and shade it by hand, it'll look a lot better and fit the style more.

EchosofNezhyt

Heh I might.

Thanks.
Character look and maybe slightly the setting(mine isn't mutant/post apocalyptic though.) will be the only stalker similarities.

Armageddon

Oh crap, ignore my post, did realize there were more pages. :-[

I wish these image things hadn't caught on, everything is blurry when scaled except gifs.Everything looks waaayyy better now. Keep it up. :)

EchosofNezhyt

Yeah, I switch to firefox when I'm stalking the forums it doesn't use a non-nearest neighbor interpolation technique so they stay nice and sharp.

Thanks I just hope I can make it good. :P

If anyone wants to see the animations or backgrounds or whatever...
Its just that one room, Some test script(Ignore) I did and some sounds and effects.
Tell me what you think though.
http://www.mediafire.com/?j8qucjc6az4dhzb

Edit: Updated Boris
Does this new version fit in with the style?
I made it less cartoony more realistically shaped, Darker looking.

Armageddon

Tried to make him look less bulky, might not be the effect you want.

I just could not get the shows to look right. :(
Also the old Boris had more personality and I think just recolouring him would work.

EDIT: More color and depth and stuff.
[imgzoom]https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5479044/Derpedits2.png[/imgzoom]

EchosofNezhyt

Looks cool but it kinda looses the layered bulk look.

Though I modded the sprite to remove a 1px line off his chest loosing a kinda of fat look but keeping the jacket look.

As for the legs one of the lines is a shadow on his leg. Also I'll see if the contrast change looks good on the sprite, thanks for taking the time.

Edit: Got alot more of the story fleshed out got some interesting ideas! Working on some more art!

Edit: Starting of the game started! Working on normal clothed dimitri and crusty apartment! :D

Edit:

Invited a few hobos and let it sit for 3 years.

Edit:

Btw this isn't in pripyat, I've looked at reference pictures for everything and anything I'm drawing there.
Edit:

Edit:

Not done yet no need to comment about it :P
Edit:

LostTrainDude

His room feels very interesting!

The new walkcycle too. The legs' movement feels natural (to me, at least) even if I don't really know if the body has to be so "fixed" (of course I've noticed the arm\shoulder movement).

Anyway good job! These are just my opinions :) I'm no good artist :P
"We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing."

CaptainD

I'm no artist either, but I have to say this is starting to look very, very good indeed.

EchosofNezhyt

Thanks it means alot.

I'm doing the art to the best of my ability and no cutting corners on anything, That said I also am putting the focus on all other aspects too.

I hope I can make something awesome, Its moving along I'll have a games in production thread up soon.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

You know, just a thought about the rain.  It looks like you're using ags rain or something similar but you could get much more spectacular results using something like particle illusions or adobe after effects to create a realistic looking animation and just drop it over as an object.  This is basically the same approach I'm going to use in the future since it's relatively easy to do, not much of a strain (depending on how many frames and your resolution), and the results look about 10x better.

As for the latest room it looks effectively dingy but the shadows don't make sense to me.  If the window is casting a light source then it should only be illuminating an area below it at an angle based on the height of the light source (for moonlight or overhead lighting) and a size roughly the shape of the window.  The light by the door, unless that alcove is very short, would not cast light in such a wide angle around the opposite corner unless it was on the side of the alcove rather than the back next to the door.  Sometimes it helps to look at some art photographs online that focus on grayscale light and shadow tones.  Finally, it wouldn't hurt to make certain areas almost completely black (like that wall along the fridge).  It is more realistic as it will get darker the farther away from a lightsource but it also adds to the mood and allows you to play with shapes and optimize/get rid of boring areas in rooms.

Finally, for your character sprites, try having them move down one pixel on a down step and up one pixel when their leg is up (before it is brought down).  This will give you the typical up and down motion you see with people when they walk normally.

I went ahead and made an edit of your latest walkcycle to show you what I mean as well as correct a few other issues.

1.  Made him move down on a down step and up on an up step.

2.  Adjusted angle of face so he is looking ahead rather than to the side.

3.  Adjusted shape of torso so he looks like he is turned to face ahead rather than at an angle.

4.  Made the arm move back and forth with the body.

[imgzoom]http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr218/ProgZmax/Dim_Norm_Walk_ED.gif[/imgzoom]

I hope this helps.

EchosofNezhyt

Yeah I had noticed the shadow for the window looking wierd I'll fix when I get back in town this monday. The animation looks nice thanks for the help I added the step up and step down with my other dimitri animation, Thank you! You should write a tutorial tip list thing your sprites are pretty pro. /bows

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

EchosofNezhyt

Edit:I am using the rain plugin with a 4 pixel sprite, The resolution is 320x 200x.
I'll check out using AF or particle illusions (Never heard/used before), I want the rain to look the best it can.
The other light is coming from a doorway (Bathroom)and if the door is open completely and the lights on the back wall (Same wall as the front door) I think the light would look almost like that? But I think I made it about foot or so to wide.

Edit: I edited it a bit and stuck in the new dimitri animations, Also made a first version front/back view sprite

amateurhour

First off, these look fantastic.

I had a few simple Q's I didn't see listed above. You said you're working at the minimum resolution, but what's the width of those rooms you're making? is it like 320x900?

Second, what are you using to create the environments? I've been using photoshop but honestly I think it's overkill for what I'm trying to do with low res sprite art and I wanted to see what others are using.

Third, (two parter) what's the resolution/size of your character sprites and what are you using to put the animations together? Again, I've been working on walkcycles in Photoshop and saving as .png but it seems like overkill.

Looks awesome!
Co-Founder of Pink Pineapple Ink Pink Pineapple Ink
Creator of the online comic Trouble Ticket Trouble Ticket

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk