Unnamed Game Art Assets[Pripyat/Chernobyl Based] - Tell me what you think.

Started by EchosofNezhyt, Fri 01/06/2012 17:16:23

Previous topic - Next topic

EchosofNezhyt

Thanks I'm super new to making any type of environment so its cool to hear good feedback.

1:423x200 for Dimitri's apartment. So it scrolls horizontally.
  320x 240x for Pripyat checkpoint.

2: I use Photoshop(CS5 atm) with the pen tool and a mouse, I sometimes break out the tablet to color bigger areas or for the carpet and lighting.
   I've been using it since I was about 14 so that's 6 years so I know it in and out and don't really feel the need to switch.

2.5: Dimitri is 34x60 Boris is a bit wider but since hes learned over his sprite is shorter, I use Photoshop for the animations. :P

3: Animation Tip: Set all your animation frames to 1 second, File>Export>Render Video> 

It will save all the .pngs at once in order so you don't have to do it manually.

Edit: Heres a new picture of the restroom in the apartment, The doorway fades when you enter it. This will prolly be the last thing I post in here since everything else will be game related and I want that to be seen in the demo when ever I get that out.

amateurhour

One last question? (also THANKS for the reply, glad to see that PS isn't a bad idea in this case)

With your BG's are you going to have the standard menu drop down or use the "mouse right click to change actions) format? I'm just curious because you put a lot of detail in the top and bottom of your screens and it seems like it would be wasted with a menu bar, or does that go on top/below the bg?     
Co-Founder of Pink Pineapple Ink Pink Pineapple Ink
Creator of the online comic Trouble Ticket Trouble Ticket

EchosofNezhyt

Left click for talk/interact/walk/, Right for look.
The UI I have right now is slide out on mouse over though its place holder, I haven't figured out a great design yet.

I don't like the big UIs and I hate having to go through menus, Especially inventory.  Graphics/Sound/Gameplay aged pretty well for adventure games and I dislike most of there UIs.

For me at least minimal UI elements cluttering up the screen is more immersive.

EchosofNezhyt

Pripyat Bridge of Death. (Google it)

WIP, Most likely the last thing I post in here. (Well I mean I'll keep updating my post untill this current thing is finished.)

Edit:

I make my stuff to dark... I'll fix later.

Edit: Will need some rearranging and all that... Not sure if the clouds fit though....

Still need to finish the sky, Make the skyline decide if I'm going to leave a void look or draw the trees down there.
Need to add growing plants and give everything a wet look and make the tiling less noticable.

Edit: Color matched the cement. Does it look better or should I make everything shades of blue?
This

or

This

Tabata

I am no artist, so I can only tell you how I feel about it, but I can't help so much in explaining about how to improve.

Those extra clouds near the moon give me a strange feeling â€" especially during rain, because they look like some nice wheather clouds (and not enough to let it rain). The rest of the sky is dark cloudy, but if so, the moon can't to be seen that bright and clear.
So I think that you first should decide, how much of the moon will be able to give you light (and where) and if you leave the moon to be the only light source, I'd prefer the blue-shaded version during rain.
The other color/version could look nice for areas that might be lightened by (for example) lamp posts.

EchosofNezhyt

Quote from: Tabata on Wed 11/07/2012 03:46:14
I am no artist, so I can only tell you how I feel about it, but I can't help so much in explaining about how to improve.

Those extra clouds near the moon give me a strange feeling â€" especially during rain, because they look like some nice wheather clouds (and not enough to let it rain). The rest of the sky is dark cloudy, but if so, the moon can't to be seen that bright and clear.
So I think that you first should decide, how much of the moon will be able to give you light (and where) and if you leave the moon to be the only light source, I'd prefer the blue-shaded version during rain.
The other color/version could look nice for areas that might be lightened by (for example) lamp posts.

Yeah I got that vibe to with the rain, I might make it not have rain. The sky looks so empty with no clouds though hmm....
There won't be lamp posts since its abandoned(Or is it :D)city and from the pictures I've seen there wasn't any lamp posts on that bridge.

What if I make the sky brighter and ton down the rain to a sprinkle? Hmm...

Armageddon

Toning down the rain would be good, but I don't think the skyline is interesting enough for a whole background. I assume this is you going into Pripyat. You should have lots of ruble and burned out cars and such. You could have part of the railing destroyed with skid marks, it tells a story through the environment. Here's a quick paint over of a few ideas to make the background interesting.

I didn't have time to do it properly but you should get the basic idea. If I remember correctly the bridge you made is a real one near Pripyat, I know this doesn't follow it but I think this would look a whole lot better aesthetically.

EchosofNezhyt

Quote from: Armageddon on Wed 11/07/2012 04:37:08
Toning down the rain would be good, but I don't think the skyline is interesting enough for a whole background. I assume this is you going into Pripyat. You should have lots of ruble and burned out cars and such. You could have part of the railing destroyed with skid marks, it tells a story through the environment. Here's a quick paint over of a few ideas to make the background interesting.

I didn't have time to do it properly but you should get the basic idea. If I remember correctly the bridge you made is a real one near Pripyat, I know this doesn't follow it but I think this would look a whole lot better aesthetically.

Thats what I had in mind at first but then I found out about the actual bridge.
The actual game isn't apocalyptic or anything so I'm not sure about the wrecked car and stuff, I still need to add all the overgrowth to it too.
The idea of the more destroyed look is a good idea, I want to keep the backdrop interesting too. With the reactor in the distance(I have some plans on making it more interesting.)

Hmm...

Btw here is the bridge if anyone is curious.

Armageddon

I think here would be best to bend the world a little bit, unless you're going for a 1:1 Pripyat thing. Maybe some of the lamp posts will be enough? or draw the beginning and end of the bridge all in one background?

Tabata

Quote from: Frito Master on Wed 11/07/2012 04:13:21
... The sky looks so empty with no clouds though hmm....
There won't be lamp posts since its abandoned(Or is it :D)city and from the pictures I've seen there wasn't any lamp posts on that bridge.

What if I make the sky brighter and ton down the rain to a sprinkle? Hmm...

May be searching for some references like this might help to give you an idea of how to do the sky more interesting?   (roll)

EchosofNezhyt

Edit:

May be searching for some references like this might help to give you an idea of how to do the sky more interesting?   (roll)

I have that same picture saved from last night when I was looking at references haha.

I was scared to try that so I went with easier clouds. I wish I drawn more environment related stuff.
Thanks though I might go ahead try clouds like that.

Quote from: Armageddon on Wed 11/07/2012 05:03:29
I think here would be best to bend the world a little bit, unless you're going for a 1:1 Pripyat thing. Maybe some of the lamp posts will be enough? or draw the beginning and end of the bridge all in one background?

I will prolly do it all in one background I can always add onto the sides easy. I kinda wanted to keep it as close as possible but my options open up if I can't make it interesting enough.

Armageddon

Frikker

EchosofNezhyt

Quote from: Frikker on Fri 01/08/2014 17:40:54
What happened? This looked like it was getting good :(

Just been busy man. My kid and work and when I do find time for art I can get paid for it so I haven't been doing so much on my side projects.

Weirdly enough though the work I did on this game convinced me to learn more about Ukraine/Russia. Which led to me really getting into Slavic Language.

I've spent months in my free time learning Russian. I don't know a lot and its a many years process but its funny to go back and see that I named the game.

Echos of the Nezhyt and realize that Nezhyt is a combo of  Не and Ðâ€"иÃ'‚Ã'Å', which at the time I didn't understand and just asked a Russian guy to give me a transliteration.

I'd really love to work more on this I just don't have time atm. Maybe in the future! I think I released the project files to see if anyone wanted to use it.

I don't think anyone made anything from it afaik.

Mandle

Quote from: Armageddon on Thu 31/07/2014 03:42:19
Don't bump, he's been gone forever and isn't coming back. :(

I guess you just never can tell eh?

EchosofNezhyt

Quote from: Mandle on Wed 25/03/2015 16:41:13
Quote from: Armageddon on Thu 31/07/2014 03:42:19
Don't bump, he's been gone forever and isn't coming back. :(

I guess you just never can tell eh?
With his quote you'd think I was dead...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk