Author Topic: AGS engine Linux port  (Read 107831 times)

Re: AGS engine Linux port
« Reply #660 on: 25 May 2018, 23:11 »
until latest 3.4.0 the engine does run well under Wine. Since 3.4.1, the engine doesn't run well under Wine- sometimes it crashes and require you to kill it (you can use xkill) - but the Linux build should run. It's available in the release of the Editor. If you use Ubuntu, building either the latest stable engine or the sdl2 port (still in development) should be easy. I've been thinking about packaging it as snap, if you think it's useful, let me know.

Edit: I started by going after the editor first, once it works, I will give a shot at the engine. github repo for ags-editor snap here.

github repo for ags-engine snap here

all snaps are still in development, but once they are solved, people with Debian derivatives will be able to snap install ahs-editor and snap install ags .
« Last Edit: 28 May 2018, 03:39 by eri0o »

thedaemon

• artist
« Reply #661 on: 29 May 2018, 17:38 »
I tried the Snap you built but was unable to get it to run, after reading the code I found out it was just using Wine and was pointless for me to use since I already am using AGS with Wine. I was hoping it was the native Linux port.

Why is there not a pre-built Linux build? Why do I have to compile it myself? Just curious, I will try to compile and share a package with others since there isn't a package. Cheers.

Crimson Wizard

• Local Moderator
  • AGS Project Tracker Admins
    • Best Innovation Award Winner 2013, for spearheading the AGS 3.3.0 project
    •  
    • Lifetime Achievement Award Winner
    •  
    • Crimson Wizard worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
      Crimson Wizard worked on a game that won an AGS Award!
« Reply #662 on: 29 May 2018, 18:04 »
Why is there not a pre-built Linux build? Why do I have to compile it myself? Just curious, I will try to compile and share a package with others since there isn't a package. Cheers.

There is a package we make for the Editor to be able to deploy Linux builds of the game automatically. Such package is linked in every release thread, for example this: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/releases/finals/AGS-3.4.1-P2/AGS.3.4.1.13.Editor.Linux.Pack.zip
It may also be used to run any game. There is no guarantee that it runs on every Linux system, of course, but it should run on "common" ones, such as Ubuntu and Debian.

Alternatively, we could attach such package to the release tag in the repository, under better name (to make it clear what it is), it's just that no one asked us to do so, at least in my memory.

I've been told before, that in Linux community there should be a program "package maintainer" who makes and updates package for particular Linux system, and who is not necessarily a part of core development team.
For instance, I know that github user rofl0r is making AGS engine packages for "Sabotage Linix" system. On his request I am adding an archive with related source code for each stable release, which may be seen here for example: https://github.com/adventuregamestudio/ags/releases/tag/v.3.4.1.13
« Last Edit: 29 May 2018, 18:07 by Crimson Wizard »

thedaemon

• artist
« Reply #663 on: 29 May 2018, 19:52 »
Thank you for your reply. I will look into maintaining a Debian package.

From my understanding of your reply, and lack of access to Linux right now(I will check in a few hours), there is no native build of the Editor for Linux, just an export package for the editor to build for Linux?

Crimson Wizard

• Local Moderator
  • AGS Project Tracker Admins
    • Best Innovation Award Winner 2013, for spearheading the AGS 3.3.0 project
    •  
    • Lifetime Achievement Award Winner
    •  
    • Crimson Wizard worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
      Crimson Wizard worked on a game that won an AGS Award!
« Reply #664 on: 29 May 2018, 20:07 »
From my understanding of your reply, and lack of access to Linux right now(I will check in a few hours), there is no native build of the Editor for Linux, just an export package for the editor to build for Linux?

Right, there is no native build for the Editor. It is written in C#, which means to run on Linux it has to be ported to Mono (or rewritten completely, for what is worth).
There is an issue ticket opened regarding former: https://github.com/adventuregamestudio/ags/issues/442
« Last Edit: 29 May 2018, 20:09 by Crimson Wizard »

thedaemon

• artist
« Reply #665 on: 29 May 2018, 21:23 »
Thanks again for your timely reply. Above and beyond :)
I don't have the skill to port to another language at this time.. but subscribed to the thread.
I will continue to run via Wine. So far 3.41 has ran flawlessly this way!

« Reply #666 on: 30 May 2018, 01:05 »
wait, both snaps are work in progress! I think I wasn't clear when I wrote. I am currently having some trouble with lxd on my computer (which I need to snap wine in a reproducible manner), once I finish this, there will be a release (in Github->Release) and also on the snap store. But yes, it's the same as wine, the idea was just to make it easier to install. I just post work in progress with the hope that someone will find/solve the problem for me :-D.

thedaemon

• artist
« Reply #667 on: 30 May 2018, 02:11 »
I did spend a good 30 minutes trying to fix it. It was not running the extension installations. It also worked half way with sudo and the other half with my user. I think it conflicts with user permissions because the files are installed with root? I'll try again later.

Radiant

• AGS Baker
  • Mittens Knight
  • Return once more to the Two Kingdoms!
    • I can help with publishing
    •  
    • I can help with story design
    •  
    • Radiant worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
      Radiant worked on a game that won an AGS Award!
« Reply #668 on: 18 Jul 2018, 18:43 »
A player reports garbled sound on the Linux build, with the following system specs:

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700 @ 3.60GHz
RAM: 32 GB
GPU: GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
NVIDIA driver: 396.24.02
Sound: I'm using the HDMI port from the graphics card: GP 106 High Definition Audio Controller

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Can someone give me an idea what could fix this please?

« Reply #669 on: 18 Jul 2018, 20:54 »